Free Press Article

Logan007

So apparently it's the offensive line's fault that Buck couldn't pass the ball?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/sack-rilege-buck-abused-215477961.html

I'm not saying our offensive line is great, because it does need work, but I've seen improvement already over the last 3 games.  And I watched buck stand there for 3 full seconds against Hamilton and not throw the ball.

I thought the same thing reading this article and since she is new, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt but that being said, I really don't like when articles in the Free Press paint a very skewed picture of what's going on making casual fans think some pretty messed up crap.

Gahhhhhh!  It's the O-Line's fault that Buck holds onto the ball 5-6 seconds?  5-6 seconds is enough for any defense to get to ANY QB!  

What I'll be watching from the IGF upper deck Friday night is how often our slotbacks are open over the middle.  You can't see the open WR's on TV for the most part, but the home opener, Watson could have had twelve taxis from all of the waving his hands he was able to do when open on slant routes. 

If our offense on Friday night resembles the offense from the home opener, it will show the fans that Crowton's offense is succeeding at getting guys open in space... just that Buck isn't seeing them/getting them the ball.  Watson would LEAD the CFL in receiving right now if Buck saw him 1/2 the time during the home opener... and Etienne wouldn't be too far behind. 

Milt Stegall, Geroy Simon, Ben Cahoon, Weston Dressler, Nik Lewis... what do they all have in common?  All SB's that rank very highly in terms of impact on the field.  Get Watson, Edwards, Etienne, Anderson... whomever, involved in the middle of the field.  Too often Buck chooses to go at the out routes and sidelines... it's too predictable.  Using your inside guys might be enough of a "wrinkle" to spark this offense.

the biggest problem for pierce with his WRs is that he is not accurate with them down the sidelines at all or if it's just an out he tosses up a lot of freebies for the dbs to break on, he nearly had one picked last game throwing to the sidelines. He is much better at going deep to the SBs, Edwards in particular. Honestly I just think Pierce and Matthews just don't have any chemistry at all. Matthews did a lot of his best stuff with Brink or Elliott in the game last season. With Pierce it was usually Edwards who was seeing more balls. 

the biggest problem for pierce with his WRs is that he is not accurate with them down the sidelines at all or if it's just an out he tosses up a lot of freebies for the dbs to break on, he nearly had one picked last game throwing to the sidelines. He is much better at going deep to the SBs, Edwards in particular. Honestly I just think Pierce and Matthews just don't have any chemistry at all. Matthews did a lot of his best stuff with Brink or Elliott in the game last season. With Pierce it was usually Edwards who was seeing more balls. 

He's developed better chemistry with Justin Palardy on those sideline attempts.

That's who he's been throwing to most of the time, right?

Bottom Line:

- Buck is a very average QB

- Our OL is mediocre

- Our receivers have problems with waggle and apparently routes/getting open

- Chad Simpson is a dominant RB

The underlying problem (keeping us from being an average offence instead of putrid)?  No-huddle...  no huddle means no rest for the hogs and Simpson, no communication between Buck and receivers..   Let's start with that - baby steps.

Melissa Martin is a good journalist, but let's keep in mind that she's fairly new and doesn't exactly appear to be football savvy.

I like her articles, but her analysis on this one is way off.

She's a great feature writer, never found her to be a very good reporter.  Needs to be more meat and potatoes reporting for news and sports, less quirky.