Paul Maurice signs 4 year deal

Mike

Four years is a little much for a guy who IMO didn't really accomplish a whole lot. Yes the team was noticeably better under his watch than Noel but that's not exactly an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned given how poorly Noel managed things.

Kind of a risk but he is a good fit, the club needs an experienced guy for all the young talent we have.

Its not like their is a vast array of available coaches that we could pick from.

He's the best coach out there. I'll say again, I think he's the best coach the Jets 1.0 & Jets 2.0 have ever had. Look at the coaching history of the guys that have been behind the bench for both organizations.... Just off my head, Tom McVie, Rick Bowness, Barry Long, Claude Noel. To name a few....

Certainly better than John Paddock. Personally, if Barry Trotz can't find a head coaching gig I'd like the Jets to bring him in as they're still 1 coach down with Perry Pearn going down with Noel.

They not going to replace Perry Pearn...and why would Barry Trotz want an ass't job? 

Certainly better than John Paddock. Personally, if Barry Trotz can't find a head coaching gig I'd like the Jets to bring him in as they're still 1 coach down with Perry Pearn going down with Noel.

They not going to replace Perry Pearn...and why would Barry Trotz want an ass't job? 

To work with one of the great organizations in hockey. Right? Plus if no good head coaching jobs show up in the next few weeks he can bide his time working in Winnipeg. His services would be welcome by many! But I agree he might want to just take it easy for a year, do some color commentary/panelist, etc.

To work with one of the great organizations in hockey. Right? Plus if no good head coaching jobs show up in the next few weeks he can bide his time working in Winnipeg. His services would be welcome by many! But I agree he might want to just take it easy for a year, do some color commentary/panelist, etc.

If he wants to bide his time until an HC job opened up he's much more likely to stay with the Preds than take an assistant job.

He's the best coach out there. I'll say again, I think he's the best coach the Jets 1.0 & Jets 2.0 have ever had. Look at the coaching history of the guys that have been behind the bench for both organizations.... Just off my head, Tom McVie, Rick Bowness, Barry Long, Claude Noel. To name a few....

Disagree that he's (was) the best coach out there. Laviolette and Boucher are significantly better. While he (Maurice) may be one of the better coaches either Jets club has had, it's not a legit reason to be happy that he's behind the bench as you know what you're going to get with him year in, year out.

One could argue that any coach that makes it to Head Coach of an NHL team is a good coach.  Different guys will be different fits for different teams.  Tortz has been awful in Vancouver.  Is he a terrible coach?  I would never hire him but someone will.

Paul Maurice seems like a great fit for what this team needs now.  But every coach gets fired eventually.

One could argue that any coach that makes it to Head Coach of an NHL team is a good coach.  Different guys will be different fits for different teams.  Tortz has been awful in Vancouver.  Is he a terrible coach?  I would never hire him but someone will.

Paul Maurice seems like a great fit for what this team needs now.  But every coach gets fired eventually.

Some guys who get promoted were promoted in error and quickly go back to being assistants, others like Tortz it is possible that they game has evolved past them and they can't adapt to keep up. Not sure that's the case with him or not but it's a possibility. No one stays relevant forever. Most guys who have had success as NHL coaches though even if they get fired are able to go to another team and be successful. 

A guy like Maurice has been a middling at best NHL coach in every stop. I think he's one of those guys you hire and he does an adequate job but nothing more. 

Forgot to mention a very old Rudy Pilous.... 

You forgot Bobby Hull iso. At one time he was coaching the Jets with an old Western Hockey league hack.

Jets WHA never really had viable coaches and neither did Jets 1.0....

WHA Jets just had the best talent in that league w/ Hull, Hedberg, Nilson, Sjoberg, Ford, Daley, Nilson, etc.

Didn't matter the back half of the roster and d-men 5 to 7 were pretty much Romper Room guys.

Forgot to mention a very old Rudy Pilous.... 

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/winnipeg-jets-9023.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/winnipeg-jets-9024.html

Didnt Bob Murdoch win coach of the year (or was a runner up)?  I think John Paddock was a very good coach and was screwed in Ottawa.  Shame for him to find himself in two poor situations (the downside of the Jets 1.0 here and the Emery fiasco in Ottawa).

But I would agree as far as NHL pediigre that Maurice is likely the best coach we've had.  I would have gone after Carlyse had he been available but I now question whether he'd be the right fit for this group.  The Jets are an odd bunch.  We need a coach that can teach and develop but also deal with some egos that came from the no-expectations, no-consequences, anonymous-land of Atlanta.