Paul Maurice signs 4 year deal

Mike

Fantastic news.

Now send him to Russia to bring back Burmi and Telegin.

He did a lot to change the Jets' mindset in a short period of time.  His "bag skate" which he called a preview for a "man's camp" went over well and the team responded.  I expect there to be some changes this summer based on Maurice's analysis of the team.  Chevy wanted his input and this deal tells me Maurice feels he is being listened to.

Great news

I think Noel will be a good NHL coach with more experience.  I thought he was a good teacher for young guys that wanted to learn but when dealing with young guys that had a greater sense of entitlement from not learning in Atlanta, there was a disconnect.  I also think Noel's expectation was for guys to make themselves ready.  He seemed to feel that at this level for this money, a player should motivate himself.  And in theory he's right.  Maurice seems to understand that it doesnt always work that way.

When Maurice says our team is not properly conditioned, that bothers me.  Im VERY much looking forward to training camp next season.

Great news, Honestly, in my mind there never was any doubt he'd be back.

Interesting 50 minute interview with chevy also

Talks about everything from Pavelec ("he's our starting goalie next season") to Burmi (jets still own his rights) and everything in between.

Where is he being praised?  By Chevy or my statement to talk him back?

Telegin is all potential.  We havent seen what he can do.  He earns strikes against for failing to report to the AHL but obviously he and the team made ammends or the Jets understand Telegin's position since they loaned him to the KHL.

In all likelyhood, had Telegin reported to the rock, he would have been playing with the Jets by the end of the year.  He's a solid depth prospect who could be very effective in the bottom six with potential to play top six.

I think Noel will be a good NHL coach with more experience.  I thought he was a good teacher for young guys that wanted to learn but when dealing with young guys that had a greater sense of entitlement from not learning in Atlanta, there was a disconnect.  I also think Noel's expectation was for guys to make themselves ready.  He seemed to feel that at this level for this money, a player should motivate himself.  And in theory he's right.  Maurice seems to understand that it doesnt always work that way.

When Maurice says our team is not properly conditioned, that bothers me.  Im VERY much looking forward to training camp next season.

Yeah, the lack of conditioning comment was disappointing. Tells me that under Noel a lot of guys in the dressing room weren't totally committed as professionals to winning. Look for that to change drastically under Maurice. 

Coaches contracts all have outs in them, im sure maurices is no different.

Anyways tho, I wouldnt be opposed to maurice adding trotz to the staff.

Trotz is a good defensive coach, something we seem to lack here a bit.

Doubt it happens as im sure trotz gets a head coaching gig somewhere but it would be a pretty neat thing to see if it did.

Did I read correctly that Teppo Numminen was let go in Buffalo?  I dont know much about him as a coach but Id love to see him back in Winnipeg if Maurice goes that route.

You do raise an interesting question as it pertains to the assistants.  Maurice didnt hire these guys.  He'll want his own staff.

well despite what i just said, i forgot to mention, and really i just ignored both chevy and maurice, but... all assitants are under contract for next season and will be back.

Maurice even said that at this time he doesnt expect to add any assitants to the staff. I think he adds one but... in the interviews yesterday, it was stated by both chevy and pomo that all current assitants will be back (pascal vincent,flaherty,huddy)

Thats interesting.  i wonder if thats Chevy's decision for budget reasons or does Maurice really like those guys?

according to the interviews, its maurices decision. Said he had lots of chemistry with those guys.

With that being said tho, anything can happen.

Wasn't Perry Pearn also let go wit Noel?

Wonder if they will bring in someone new to replace him.

yes he was, but im not even sure why pearn was hired in the first place. I didnt like it when we hired him and was happy when we let him go with claude. Seems to me that in hockey, there isnt always a need to have more then 3 or 4 coaches in place. Wouldnt hate to see pascal vincent replaced tho as i believe he was in charge of the power play and it was absolutely awful. People can go on and on about goaltending but one more pp goal a game and its the same thing. Our powerplay sucked and if vincent was in charge, wouldnt mind if he wasnt brought back also.

There are some people who believe Trotz is over-rated.  Big Show was talking about that with the idea that Trotz got the Preds to the playoffs many times but only past round one once.  I guess it depends on your definition of success.

When the best forward he's had in Nashville is David Legwand making the playoffs is a pretty damned good accomplishment. Nashville with Trotz there was a goaltending and defenseman factory though, that's a lot to do with the coaching going on there.