Company Scams

Mark H.

Last fall, I received a call from a company called Kleritec. They were selling anti-microbial skin wipes; if I wasn't satisfied I could return them. Also, a bottle of blood stain remover would be free.

All good stuff to have in the Gym, so I gave them our school's mailing address...that's when the headaches started!

They sent 4 boxes of wipes, 100 per box, and an invoice for $246!  The same stuff and similar products is selling on EBAY for less than $20 a box, with free shipping.

So I called them up and said I wanted a shipping tag to return the product. We can't possibly spend that kind of money on skin wipes. They said the shipping would cost $34. If I bought one box for $46 they would donate the other three to school.

I ageed, they sent an invoice and started calling me, asking for payment via credit card. No bloody way were they getting a credit card number from me...I paid the bill via money order.

All done, right? NOPE. 

At the end of June I got another call from them. There were two bottles of disinfectant spray that were missing my previous order, which were also supposed to be 'free.' They would send an invoice, but that would be to make up the difference on the skin wipes. Wait a minute...didn't we agree to $46?  Wasn't I already invoiced for that amount? And I never ordered any disinfectant spray. "Oh no, there's been a misunderstanding, they can't possibly sell me 4 boxes of skin wipes for $46." Oh no? But you did, and I paid.  

I made it clear that I DID NOT want the spray, that I would send it back if they sent it to the school. "Why would you do that? It's free...give it to your athletes."

So...I received two bottles of disinfectant spray invoice for $181. Yup, they used the 'free' disinfectant spray to indirectly bill me for the skin wipes.

So, today I blew 20 bucks and sent the disinfectant and the blood stain remover back to them via UPS. I sent them a complaint e-mail (enough crap over the phone where nothing is on record) I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, they said their Los Angeles branch would process the claim and I would hear from them.

I have no idea what's going to happen next...

Ouch that's brutal Mark, and yes this kind of crap can ruin anyone's summer.  If you Google the name of the company, you'll find other people with the similar things that have happened with them.  Seems to me you did everything I would have done.  Contacting the BBB was a good idea.

Ouch that's brutal Mark, and yes this kind of crap can ruin anyone's summer.  If you Google the name of the company, you'll find other people with the similar things that have happened with them.  Seems to me you did everything I would have done.  Contacting the BBB was a good idea.

Did that...they have scammed people for 1000's of dollars...from what I've gathered. Hopefully they won't be flying under the radar too much longer.

Their website does not list any employees...not even a president...nor is there ever a salesperson on the invoice.

I ageed, they sent an invoice and started calling me, asking for payment via credit card. No bloody way were they getting a credit card number from me...I paid the bill via money order.

what is truly terrifying is to think how many people would actually give out their credit card information for what in my mind essentially amounts to theft... Some real scummy people in the world who deserves to be raped in the ass with a rusty fork. 

Working with folks who go after scammers,  this is extremely common and lots of them get away because of peoples embarrassments of being duped into a scam.  

Usually seniors get bilked out of 1000's and 1000's of dollars.... if you're really angry then give marketplace a call they love going after scammers like this.  

In the future I always recommend anyone and everyone to do extensive research using google and reading other peoples reviews.   Or if possible ask anyone else who has used the service or product how they enjoyed it or not.

For myself I just purchased some glasses from Zenni Optical from China.  Essentially you can buy glasses from them for dirt cheap prices almost to good to be true. I wasn't really skeptical because I've talked to at least 10 people at work who used them and ranted and raved.... but I went online and found tonnes of positive reviews.     So I dropped something like 80 dollars for 5 pairs of glasses and a week later they arrived at my door and they were exactly the same quality and stuff you get at stores here.       

So sometimes you can find good deals out there,  but as always buyer beware.    

BBB is ok for reading reviews or providing reviews,  but if you want to get action against the company then you have to take it to the CAFC  or the RCMP.   I think their is another agency that handles businesses that run scams but I can't recollect it off the top of my head.   I'm sure the CAFC could point you to the right way. 

what is truly terrifying is to think how many people would actually give out their credit card information for what in my mind essentially amounts to theft... Some real scummy people in the world who deserves to be raped in the ass with a rusty fork. 

What is truly terrifying is companies like Rogers do this and get away with it!!!   

BBB is in itself kind of a scam. It can't actually do anything. Its like an advertising firm. The best they can do is give a bad rating or post that they have received adverse comments about the company.

What you want to do it contact the consumers bureau. It's a GOVT agency representing consumers.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/cca/cpo/

Might be tough with an international company though. Sorry to hear of your plight

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions. I could afford to pay the bill, trouble is I'm not sure I would be finished with them. They would just dream up some other invoice to stick me with.

What is going to happen if you just don't pay the invoice?  At this point they are sending you merchandise you didn't order.  Even if they go to a credit agency (I don't know if they will, seeing as how they are a scam), I'm pretty sure you could argue that.  It might be less of a hassle then to keep messing around with them.

If you stop paying, they should stop sending you things.

What is going to happen if you just don't pay the invoice?  At this point they are sending you merchandise you didn't order.  Even if they go to a credit agency (I don't know if they will, seeing as how they are a scam), I'm pretty sure you could argue that.  It might be less of a hassle then to keep messing around with them.

I don't intend to pay another penny. I don't think there's really anything they can do, besides harass me over the phone. I've contacted MTS about blocking their number.

I've contacted consumer protection...I'll see what they do.

I'd agree just send the stuff back (even better if it's shipped and requires a signature, just don't sign for it) and don't pay anything

Some of those collection agencies are brutal. They don't care what the issue is, they just want the money. They'll harrass you at home and work.

The best advice is to never accept an offer over the phone from a company you've never heard of before, but I assume you're not interested in that advice right now.

How are they sending you this stuff? Is it just general mail, or is it something that can be traced?

Some of those collection agencies are brutal. They don't care what the issue is, they just want the money. They'll harrass you at home and work.

The best advice is to never accept an offer over the phone from a company you've never heard of before, but I assume you're not interested in that advice right now.

How are they sending you this stuff? Is it just general mail, or is it something that can be traced?

There's a tracking number on the the invoice, yes...

BBB is in itself kind of a scam. It can't actually do anything. Its like an advertising firm. The best they can do is give a bad rating or post that they have received adverse comments about the company.

They tell me they've contacted the business...and they have until July 29 to respond...so we'll see.

I'll keep y'all posted about it...should be a good learning experience.

Maybe if they're also contacted by consumer protection from Canada, they'll back off.

The problem you will have is that you really can't do shite all unless the company is in Canada.    

It's similar to the telemarketing scams where old people give  a crap load of money out to some shady off shore company... it's not like the RCMP or anyone in the Gov't can just easily fly out and retrieve your cash.  

The problem you will have is that you really can't do shite all unless the company is in Canada.    

It's similar to the telemarketing scams where old people give  a crap load of money out to some shady off shore company... it's not like the RCMP or anyone in the Gov't can just easily fly out and retrieve your cash.  

No retrieval needed....I just don't intend to pay any more. Hopefully a little heat from various places will result in them backing off.

From what I've read on line about these crooks, if someone keeps paying, they keep sending, inventing various excuses and phantom orders.

I'm helping out a Nigerian Prince right now and when I get my cut of the gold he's entitles to I'll take care of a few of those invoices for you.

If that doesn't work out  I'm also doing a mystery shop where they mail me a check and I wire the money out to test out Money Marts service. I get to keep the difference between the check amount and the wire so its a pretty nice payday.

I also just got paid for my car that was on kijiji via paypal, can you belive the guy offered me more than I wanted for it?

I'm helping out a Nigerian Prince right now and when I get my cut of the gold he's entitles to I'll take care of a few of those invoices for you.

If that doesn't work out  I'm also doing a mystery shop where they mail me a check and I wire the money out to test out Money Marts service. I get to keep the difference between the check amount and the wire so its a pretty nice payday.

I also just got paid for my car that was on kijiji via paypal, can you belive the guy offered me more than I wanted for it?

Very funny. 

I wouldn't have paid anything for any of it.  What are they going to do anyway, especially if they're in the US?

I work as an internal systems admin for a large company and one of the many things I do is purchase equipment and I get a lot of stupid phone calls from people wanting to sell me crap.  Let me tell you something, if a company is dumb enough to send me something for "free" that I didn't sign my name to, put my credit card to, or create a Purchase Order for, then I wouldn't pay a cent to them for anything.  I would have kept it all and not bothered to pay the invoice if they told me it was free.  Especially if you're in Canada and they're in the US...wtf are they going to do?  It's just a big scam.  If you never gave them your credit card (very good on your part BTW) then they can't call your credit card company.

I remember once some magazine company sent me a Pittsburgh Steelers magazine and when I requested it online it said try one issue for "Free".  Then all of a sudden I started receiving a magazine once a month and I was like...whatever.  Then I was sent an invoice and I was thinking...I never bought anything, screw them.  I emailed the company telling them I'm not paying for this and I never subscribed to anything and if they want their magazines back they better send me some shipping because I'm not paying for anything.  They sent back an email saying they were so sorry and left me alone after that.

Always go on the offensive when dealing with these kinds of companies.  Like THEY put you out or the world is crumbling around you and how dare they ruin your summer etc....  b i t c h like their's no tomorrow and eventually they'll get so tired of dealing with you they'll just leave you alone.  Even if it's not your style to do that, do it anyway.  You have to almost act like (please no one take this as me being racist cause I'm not) a bitchy black woman.  Just go up and down on them like they just attacked your kids.

Hopefully everything works out for you and you can stop thinking about this crap.