Keep Jokinen, Trade Kane?

Kane is either moved on draft day or at trade deadline next year - thinking trade deadline...

Guys with term on their contract are more often moved at the draft than trade deadline day, the reason being there is some certainty about what draft picks are involved. There's a big difference between pick #30 and pick #20.

Kane is either moved on draft day or at trade deadline next year - thinking trade deadline...

Guys with term on their contract are more often moved at the draft than trade deadline day, the reason being there is some certainty about what draft picks are involved. There's a big difference between pick #30 and pick #20.

This is true... however, its going to take a lot for chevy to give up on Kane... but I also think Kane will be down on the third line by trade deadline

I'm fairly confident if Kane drizzles out another feeble season his apologists will simply state again: ...."he's just 23, only been in league for 6 years, needs better players around him, lets give him another year!"

Nonsense. At some point you just have to cut bait. 

However, probably the worst guys for cutting bait in the NHL are Chipman and Chevldayoff.

Smart money would be on Kane being in Winnipeg next season and pulling down similar numbers. 

I have nothing personally against Evander. Seems like a fairly nice kid. But having a six million dollar man on your roster has to be a drag. Especially on the fanbase. But surely on the team. 

I hate that CHipman and Chevy are both Status Quo men!!!

That's because they're smarter than you give them credit for. You are always down on managment, doesn't seem to matter what team.

First time poster. Love this site. Way better then those other forums.

Anyways, Regarding Kane, I keep asking myself a simple question and that is...

If Winnipeg was in the NHL in 2009 when Kane was drafted, would we have taken him?

It seems astho the Jets value guys who are high character and humble, is this Kane? I'm not sure it is.

Yes, he's a young talented player, but... does he fit in to what the Jets are building here exactly? On the ice? He most definitely does. Big strong young fast power forward, every team wants that. Off the ice? I dont know. You hear so many rumors and i understand they are rumors but generally where there is smoke there is fire. Is he a high character guy? I'm not sure actually if he is or isnt, is he immature at times? seems to be but really what 23 year old isnt, Im not far removed from 23 and some of the things i did at 23 would put some of the things Kane has rumored to have done to shame.

Do i want to trade Kane? I'm gonna answer this by saying yes and no. No because i feel at 23, he's really hasnt reached his peak yet and despite what some say, That is relevant. You do not want to give up a perenial 30 goal scorer ( he did it once and last year if it was a full season, he would have done it again, i think even this year if he didnt miss so many games he probably would have also, he did score 19)but.. if he doesnt fit into the culture the team is building, then i think it is best to move him. The yes part is quite simple, if you can get a good return on Kane, im talking top 6 forward, high draft pick and maybe a prospect or a left handed d man, yeah you do that in a second because that improves the team overall. This team isnt just one or 2 players away, they are a few and a guy like Kane, he could get the team what they need to take that next step.

First time poster. Love this site. Way better then those other forums.

Anyways, Regarding Kane, I keep asking myself a simple question and that is...

If Winnipeg was in the NHL in 2009 when Kane was drafted, would we have taken him?

It seems astho the Jets value guys who are high character and humble, is this Kane? I'm not sure it is.

Yes, he's a young talented player, but... does he fit in to what the Jets are building here exactly? On the ice? He most definitely does. Big strong young fast power forward, every team wants that. Off the ice? I dont know. You hear so many rumors and i understand they are rumors but generally where there is smoke there is fire. Is he a high character guy? I'm not sure actually if he is or isnt, is he immature at times? seems to be but really what 23 year old isnt, Im not far removed from 23 and some of the things i did at 23 would put some of the things Kane has rumored to have done to shame.

Do i want to trade Kane? I'm gonna answer this by saying yes and no. No because i feel at 23, he's really hasnt reached his peak yet and despite what some say, That is relevant. You do not want to give up a perenial 30 goal scorer ( he did it once and last year if it was a full season, he would have done it again, i think even this year if he didnt miss so many games he probably would have also, he did score 19)but.. if he doesnt fit into the culture the team is building, then i think it is best to move him. The yes part is quite simple, if you can get a good return on Kane, im talking top 6 forward, high draft pick and maybe a prospect or a left handed d man, yeah you do that in a second because that improves the team overall. This team isnt just one or 2 players away, they are a few and a guy like Kane, he could get the team what they need to take that next step.

My read on Kane is similar. If we can still procure a pack of stuff (Top 6 F, high draft pick, Left D) then I'm all for it. Even if Kane goes thru a transformation and turns into a 35 goal scorer on another team....if he malingers here another year then we won't be able to trade him for used pucks and broken sticks!

Trade him if the return makes Winnipeg better.  Keep him if it doesnt and see what a full season on the top line with Scheif & Wheeler gets him.  If he wants out of Winnipeg after that, trade him.

Not sure if the jets would have drafted him or not.  I seem to recall he was seen as the best choice at that pick to an extent that you'd be unlikely to go off the board.  But there were some decent picks after him too, such as Brayden Schenn, Kadri, Paajarvi-Svensson etc

if you can get a good return on Kane, im talking top 6 forward, high draft pick and maybe a prospect or a left handed d man, yeah you do that in a second because that improves the team overall. This team isnt just one or 2 players away, they are a few and a guy like Kane, he could get the team what they need to take that next step.

which team is going to give you a top 6 forward + for a top 6 forward though? If you want 2 or 3 pieces for Kane they are going to be lesser pieces. The best you could hope to get for Kane is a one for one swap with a guy on a similar level who has worn out his welcome on another team. 

If he's so good why are you trading him? Jets fans are just stupid. I've seen them turn up their noses at even the thought of Eberle for Kane. Despite the fact that Eberle out produces him consistently. 

Kane straight up for Eberle? Id do that in a heartbeat, im not so sure  chevy would tho. But i would. I love eberle, he's my fav oiler by  far. Id make that deal everyday of the week. Similar long term contracts too for both. Both young. Eberle is a RW tho right? Harder to  find then LW's.

Will be interesting to say the least...  Everyone seems to be hoping the Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler line works out but then that leaves Buff on the third line and he had some pretty decent chemistry with Wheeler by the end.

Unless someone offers something crazy, I think Chevy waits until next year's trade deadline (assuming Evander is still Evander) and trades him either in a sell-off or for a couple key players for a late-season run.

if kane or buff is moved, it will be at the draft, theres something called a salary cap, teams wont trade much for a guy at the deadline anymore.

The trade deadline day is vastly over rated, vanek went for a career minor leaguer and a what? 2nd of was it 4th rd pick?

If you trade kane of buff, you do it on draft day or not at all.

I'd punt Kane for Eberle in a nympho's minute!

But I suspect even the crapnutz who run the Oilers would laugh at the idea that they're getting value for Eberle.

And stoic Mr. Chevy would probably think Eberle is half the player Evander is...

Well it's hard to say, the Oilers would love some more size on their wings and Kane provides that. I don't like the move from an Oilers standpoint in terms of straight up value because I think Eberle is a better player without the attitude question marks, but if they get desperate to add a bit more beef might be something that could come to pass. 

I'd punt Kane for Eberle in a nympho's minute!

But I suspect even the crapnutz who run the Oilers would laugh at the idea that they're getting value for Eberle.

And stoic Mr. Chevy would probably think Eberle is half the player Evander is...

Well it's hard to say, the Oilers would love some more size on their wings and Kane provides that. I don't like the move from an Oilers standpoint in terms of straight up value because I think Eberle is a better player without the attitude question marks, but if they get desperate to add a bit more beef might be something that could come to pass. 

I actually think that the Oilers would not be in a strong bargaining position on that trade regardless of Eberle's stats...  Oilers are a whole team of Eberle's, there's only one Kane (that type of thing...).  I think we could get Eberle and an exchange of prospects/picks that are favourable to Winnipeg.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that since we could easily get far more for Kane than Eberle who is the definition of a one dimensional player who puts up numbers almost exclusively due to volume. He's not a star and he is not a smart hockey player. He may have more hockey sense than Kane but not by much and his defensive game is laughable.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that since we could easily get far more for Kane than Eberle who is the definition of a one dimensional player who puts up numbers almost exclusively due to volume. He's not a star and he is not a smart hockey player. He may have more hockey sense than Kane but not by much and his defensive game is laughable.

That's a terrible scouting report on Eberle. If by "puts up numbers almost exclusively due to volume" you mean taking a lot of shots, there are only a handful of players in the top 30 scorers who took less shots than he did this season. His Shooting % is 14.3% for his career, which is very good.

His hockey sense is probably his best trait. He's small and not a top tier skater, yet he puts up good numbers every year. That's thanks to being in the right place at the right time (ie hockey sense).

If he's so good why are you trading him? Jets fans are just stupid. I've seen them turn up their noses at even the thought of Eberle for Kane. Despite the fact that Eberle out produces him consistently. 

Why in the blue hell do you keep asking this?  Apologies if its not you but I think it is.  Drives me crazy.  Asked and answered NUMEROUS times.  You dont only trade bad players.  Good players get traded too.  Even in my last post I provided reasons - if he wants out, if the return makes the team better etc.

Players without issues rarely get traded these days, it's really ******* hard to make good hockey trades anymore, that's why I keep asking it. 

but asking the same question isnt going to get a different answer.  Im not saying Im right or saying its easy or saying it happens a lot...just saying there *are* reasons to trade a good player.  Boston was sick of Sequin's antics (reportedly) and traded him.  Martin St Louis wanted a change of scenery so TB traded him.  Sh!T happens.