Keep Jokinen, Trade Kane?

The worrisome part with Kane is that his game is not progressing...  The organization wants him to be their number one guy but his poor backchecking and bad penalties make him a second line or even third liner.

This is now year five - he can now be classified as injury-prone and a problem in the locker room as well as a 30-goal scorer.

The worrisome part with Kane is that his game is not progressing...  The organization wants him to be their number one guy but his poor backchecking and bad penalties make him a second line or even third liner.

This is now year five - he can now be classified as injury-prone and a problem in the locker room as well as a 30-goal scorer.

Kane is now officially a pure knife 'n forker. He shows up for all the team meetings, puts out 90% in practice and goes thru all the motions in games - even feigning intensity with anger mostly directed at referees. At this point, given his regression he's not even a reliable 2nd or 3rd liner and you can't use him on the 4th line cuz he's not a checking machine. Frankly, I think his only salvation is being turned into a rat = where the team can take advantage of his speed and less on his booming but mostly errant shots that inevitably lead to quick puck possession by Jet opponents. Even if he became a solid 'Rat' that doesn't warrant 6 mill. a year. 

I think thats why Maurice 'benched' him last nite vs. Toronto in a meaningless game. The team looked much better and tighter without Evander. There might still be 3 or 4 NHL teams that think Kane salvageable. If we stick with him for another year thats a real spit in the face to massively loyal Jets fans who deserve better. 

Jets aren't ready for a playoff run regardless. May as well keep rebuilding with quality juniors like Shief, Trouba, Lowery, Redmond, etc.

Regardless of Kane's natural talents I truly believe the Jets can't rebuild him after all these years of building up bad on-ice habits and a weak tool-kit that only includes power-skating and the big board-ringin' slappers.

I think the Jets will have a couple teams interested in Kane at the deadline. However, the form chart on Chevyldayoff is he doesn't trade players unless he's clearly winning the deal. If thats the case there's no one in the NHL who'll give Chevy that kind of deal. Sadly, Chevy will get nervous in the service and refrain from trading Evander. He'll play another year at 6 million - 15 to 20 goals, crappy penalties, limited toolkit, chirpin', 12 to 20 games missed!

I've decided buying Kane out doesn't really do much for the Jets cap space cuz they won't go near the cap ceiling anyways.

The big negative is having Schiefele play with a guy like that. Injustice to Mark Schiefele, a true pro.

I think the Jets will have a couple teams interested in Kane at the deadline. However, the form chart on Chevyldayoff is he doesn't trade players unless he's clearly winning the deal. If thats the case there's no one in the NHL who'll give Chevy that kind of deal. Sadly, Chevy will get nervous in the service and refrain from trading Evander. He'll play another year at 6 million - 15 to 20 goals, crappy penalties, limited toolkit, chirpin', 12 to 20 games missed!

I've decided buying Kane out doesn't really do much for the Jets cap space cuz they won't go near the cap ceiling anyways.

The big negative is having Schiefele play with a guy like that. Injustice to Mark Schiefele, a true pro.

A

Couple of teams? If Kane is available at least 20 teams are interested.

22 years old or whatever Kane is, way way too soon to be talking about the kid like he's a bust. Lots of players are just getting started in the NHL at 22 let alone having 1 30 goal season and one one pace for 30 goals season under their belts. 

You dont trade guys only because they are busts.

I'm fine with trading Kane *because* he's good.  You get a lot of return.  If Kane is a great guy, team player, fits into what the team is doing, wants to be here, etc etc etc, sure, sign him to a 10 year contract.  There are many reasons you'd trade a quality talent.  I'm not sure the talent Kane brings fits into the identity the Jets are going for.  I think there is a sense his desire has been lacking since the team was all but eliminated and I think that has disappointed management a lot.

A Kane trade *could* bring back the pieces we need to compete for ten years.  Keeping Kane could be what puts us over the top too. 

I don't think many are thinking Kane is a bust.

But something is different.

Sitting apart on the bench recently, a healthy game day scratch when Maurice states they are going to play their best line up.

There's something going on involving Kane.

I was averse to trading him but now I'm beginning to think that they will, at least, look seriously into trading him.

His time is not up as a player, but maybe it is as a Jet.

A Kane trade *could* bring back the pieces we need to compete for ten years.  Keeping Kane could be what puts us over the top too. 

not when there's the perception that he's a problem for Winnipeg. Right now he's got more value to Winnipeg than he does to anyone else because other teams see a player being healthy scratch and it throws up a red flag. The only thing you're going to get for the guy now is a player with some red flags of their own. Better to just let Kane work through whatever went on this year and see if he can't get back to what he was before. 

not when there's the perception that he's a problem for Winnipeg. Right now he's got more value to Winnipeg than he does to anyone else because other teams see a player being healthy scratch and it throws up a red flag. The only thing you're going to get for the guy now is a player with some red flags of their own. Better to just let Kane work through whatever went on this year and see if he can't get back to what he was before. 

I disagree.  We're hyper-sensitive to these things here.  There will always be teams willing to take on talent.  Unless there is something really nasty going on behind the scenes (which other teams would know about), I dont think we'd have a problem trading him for significant value.

Maurice was asked what Kane has to do to play and he replied "show up".  Now did he mean "Kane is playing so as long as he arrives, he's in" or did he mean show up in the sense that he has to play harder, have some passion etc?  There have long been rumours about Kane not getting along with all his team mates but then you also see him out socially with guys like Bogo.  i really dont know what to make of it.

But if Chevy deems Kane should be traded, I trust him.

Kane should be bring back pretty much maximum return for a young 30 goal scorer with a locked-in contract and tons of upside.  Sure, trading Crosby would get you more.  But if Kane played in TO or New York and his name came up, it would be round the clock top news on TSN.  He's *that* good

Then why are you trading him? All the reasons to trade the guy are reasons his value will be lowered. Like I said, best you'd do is one problem player for another. 

Bottom line is that Kane will be our highest paid player next season and this year he was 7th in points and 6th in goals.

Not good enough.

Apparently he needs another 5 years to justify his contract.

Also his production keeps going down despite the talent on the team improving.

Kane should be bring back pretty much maximum return for a young 30 goal scorer with a locked-in contract and tons of upside. Sure, trading Crosby would get you more. But if Kane played in TO or New York and his name came up, it would be round the clock top news on TSN. He's *that* good

Then why are you trading him? All the reasons to trade the guy are reasons his value will be lowered. Like I said, best you'd do is one problem player for another.

Many reasons to trade a guy. It doesn't have to be because he sucks. There are examples of talents being traded.

I'm fairly confident if Kane drizzles out another feeble season his apologists will simply state again: ...."he's just 23, only been in league for 6 years, needs better players around him, lets give him another year!"

Nonsense. At some point you just have to cut bait. 

However, probably the worst guys for cutting bait in the NHL are Chipman and Chevldayoff.

Smart money would be on Kane being in Winnipeg next season and pulling down similar numbers. 

I have nothing personally against Evander. Seems like a fairly nice kid. But having a six million dollar man on your roster has to be a drag. Especially on the fanbase. But surely on the team. 

I hate that CHipman and Chevy are both Status Quo men!!!

I'd prefer to refer to Chipman and Cheveldayoff as patient men.

I have the utmost respect for Mark Chipman in the fact that he has been patient and the fact he brought back the Jets in the proper manner..when all the pieces were in place. 

Even in the naming of the team…they went about the right way and got that right.

My point being, to lump both men together in the same corner as men of inaction is inaccurate.

This version of the Jets is not close to being what can be called the Winnipeg Jets…too many Thrasher decisions still affecting the team.

But they are getting closer. 

I suspect Chipman and his hockey man, Cheveldayoff, have a plan in place, and the needs and the wants will come about when the time is right..not at the hue and cry of the average fan.

Circumstances may precipitate bolder moves, but it won't mean giving away, say two starting goaltenders…for wrapping paper.

I would have have a good team for ten years then a great team for one year.  And Chipman is the same.  It can not be over-stated how bad this team was when True North bought it.  Yes they had good core players but very little by way of prospects.  Chevy has drastically improved the prospect depth and will continue to do so.  He's used the waiver wire and strategic trades to improve the depth of the team.  Its not where it needs to be yet but its getting there.  Be patient.

Bob mackenzie discussed this yesterday and he said he thinks Kane and the Jets will sit down this summer and really decide where the relationship is going.  If Kane isnt committed to Winnipeg 100%, then he will be moved.  And rightfully so.  Sure, no one wants to see Kane score 50 goals for someone else.  But do we want Kane to score 30 goals for us and then bolt in four years?

Some talent are just square pegs on round hole teams.  As talented as Kane is, he might not be the right fit on this team.  People say Noel aliented Burmi and Kane but Maurice seems to be "handling" Kane a lot more than Noel did.  Kane would likely be a great fit in Vancouver who want to revert to a more offensive style.  Might there be a great deal to be made between old friends the Jets and Canucks?