Keep Jokinen, Trade Kane?

Some chatter online and TSN 1290 about the future of Olli Jokinen.  Matt Leibel expressed growing interest in re-signing Jokinen.

Im not sure he fits for next season but we certainly need depth and while he's more of a mid-six guy, not having anyone capable of stepping up to the top six in the case of injury hurt us this year.  I'd be interested in him at one year, $2 million.  He has good qualities, is positive, leader and has improved his offensive output while being defensivly sound.

If given a choice between the two, I'd re-sign Burmistrov.

Kane got mentioned because the Jokinen discussion apparently transitioned into "trade Kane for assets" which I am more and more intrigued about.

I'd really be weary about trading Kane.  The thought of trading him is intriguing because his value is pretty high.  Chevy has the ability of being very picky with a possible move.  You'd have to get a very appealing offer from a team willing to trade based on his potential.  A team would have to be very aggressive to want him. I'm thinking a top 6 forward, AND multiple other prospects/draft picks. 

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Jokinen for the right price.  He's not a liability at this point, and has finally found his comfort level here.

Ollie  has played 2 fairly well seasons for us coming off a strong year in Calgary in 2011. We need his leadership & puck skills. he also doesn't mail it in as often as he used to. His first season in Calgary on his 2nd go round was not good. He was booed on the ice & a lightning rod for fans & media. But he's changed. Useful player to have. Kane. You don't trade Kane.

If you trade Kane you are unlikely to get equal value for him. There aren't a lot of straight up hockey trades made anymore, usually if players are traded it's because they aren't working out and you're simply trying to recover some assets for him. 

Im not sure he fits for next season but we certainly need depth and while he's more of a mid-six guy, not having anyone capable of stepping up to the top six in the case of injury hurt us this year.  I'd be interested in him at one year, $2 million.  He has good qualities, is positive, leader and has improved his offensive output while being defensivly sound.

Hey Olli, We love what you're doing and feel like you're a real leader.  I know we're paying you $4.5 million a season right now but we think that you are so important to this team that we'd like to offer you a 60% paycut for one more year...  take some time, think about it... call us!

Olli at a pay cut is a possibility... Who really will pay him 4.5 million anymore? Also doesn't his family live in town?

I'd offer him a longer contract at a pay cut and see if he'd take that

Lots of teams are looking for a veteran middle 6 centre that I don't think 2 million per year is realistic

To me, Kane looks like a guy that has a big breakout season coming soon.  For all the criticisms of how he does it, the guy creates a lot of offence.  Let's face it there are worse things a guy could be doing than possessing the puck in the opponent's end and shooting it too much.  Would love to see him get a full season with #55 and #26.  

Watching him score 300 goals for someone else over the next 8 years is my big fear. 

Having said that, they can't come back with the same core again next year...  

I would not pay him $4.5 million again. To be our bird line centre? Come on.

He was awful last season. This could be considered a bounce back season. But he still has had long stretches of invisibility and as a number 2 centre simply did nothing with our most offensively gifted player.

Between Odell, Lowry, Burmi etc I think we have better value already in the system. Jokinen is the safe choice to have around I grant that.

If Buff is truly enjoying playing forward and wants to be here, then I'm more enthuesed about keeping him.

The guy has been much maligned, went from D to RW to LW, multiple line-mates etc and has flourished.

Next season?  He has to factor into the top six.

Im fine trading Kane if the return is worth it.

If Buff is truly enjoying playing forward and wants to be here, then I'm more enthuesed about keeping him.

The guy has been much maligned, went from D to RW to LW, multiple line-mates etc and has flourished.

Next season?  He has to factor into the top six.

Im fine trading Kane if the return is worth it.

What would be your definition of a good return?

Top six, mid six depth, pick, prospect.  The issue being, if someone has a top six to give, why would they want Kane.  It would have to be a scenario where someone has a guy that doesnt fit or two players who arent Kane-calibre but still in that 2nd line for talent.

In an ideal world, we'd keep him and he'd be awesome.  Its the variables that impact this decision (attitude, does he want to be here, does he play the style our coaches and ownership want etc).

Judging by recent trades... I'd say we could get a rookie (such as Maata), a first round pick and prospect (Jarry?) - just using Pitts as an example...

Kane for Toffoli and Martin Jones straight up would work for me though...

Judging by recent trades... I'd say we could get a rookie (such as Maata), a first round pick and prospect (Jarry?) - just using Pitts as an example...

I'm in love with that trade. Kane can showcase his speed-skating and errant shots in front of Popeye Sutter. Wonder how long Kane would go in LA before Sutter has a few words for him. ie. I don't think Kane could get away with some of the same crap in LA that he does in Wpg.

I'm in love with that trade. Kane can showcase his speed-skating and errant shots in front of Popeye Sutter. Wonder how long Kane would go in LA before Sutter has a few words for him. ie. I don't think Kane could get away with some of the same crap in LA that he does in Wpg.

Such as?

Such as?

I'll answer your question with another question. Do you think Evander is worth the 6 million he's scheduled to make in 2015? Your answer will explain things!

Such as?

I'll answer your question with another question. Do you think Evander is worth the 6 million he's scheduled to make in 2015? Your answer will explain things!

Look on the bright side, Toby Enstrom won't be the highest paid Jet anymore.    :)

I think Kane had injury problems this season so to be fair let's judge his contract after 1 more season. If he pots 15 goals next year then there'll be plenty of discussion. I don't think we trade the guy. He's young & still has lots of potential.

Not a fan of his barking at the refs all the time, half-assed backchecking and his signature 'speed down the outside and try to power to the net' move...

When Kane was hurt, Jets played well and Scheifele stepped up... when Scheifele got hurt, the team collapsed - that was Kane's moment to step up