Win If You Can, Lose If You Must, But Always Cheat

There is little chance that they are going to drop into the bottom 5 of the league, and I'm not sure that draft position makes much of a difference after that.   Throw in the lottery in the first round, I want to see them go all out and play to win the remainder of the season.  See them playing for jobs.

I would however like to see guys like Hutchinson  get some NHL expereince once we are officially eliminated.

A little off topic, but does anyone know what the deadline is for send downs to the AHL for playoffs?    I wonder if they will end up sending guys like Trouba and Scheifele (once he is healthy) down to the rock for a playoff run.

you never cheer for anything but wins if you are a fan of the team. 

Nope, I don't agree with that at all. There are reasons why fans boo & cheer. Just saying if you don't drink the kool-aid all the time & cheer the Bombers or Jets on then you aren't a good fan is too simplistic. Just look at the Bombers last 2 disastrous on & off field seasons & what they've been through with all the ups & downs the fans have experienced. Saying any fan that was angered or didn't pull for the team to win because losing meant a guaranteed change in the regime is then a bad fan is wrong.That hasn't happened yet with the Jets. But at some point, say the next 2 seasons, we better see some marked improvement with the on ice product as well as a playoff appearance or the fans will turn. BTW, what do you think Oilers fans are thinking these days? Think they have a lot of love for their team & the people coaching & managing it? 

you never cheer for anything but wins if you are a fan of the team. 

Nope, I don't agree with that at all. There are reasons why fans boo & cheer. Just saying if you don't drink the kool-aid all the time & cheer the Bombers or Jets on then you aren't a good fan is too simplistic. Just look at the Bombers last 2 disastrous on & off field seasons & what they've been through with all the ups & downs the fans have experienced. Saying any fan that was angered or didn't pull for the team to win because losing meant a guaranteed change in the regime is then a bad fan is wrong.That hasn't happened yet with the Jets. But at some point, say the next 2 seasons, we better see some marked improvement with the on ice product as well as a playoff appearance or the fans will turn. BTW, what do you think Oilers fans are thinking these days? Think they have a lot of love for their team & the people coaching & managing it? 

except that's not what I said at all... I said if you're a fan of the team you always want them to win games... None of this "I hope they lose so they can draft higher" crap, you always cheer for the team to win every game. I know exactly what Oiler fans are thinking, win some ******* games! (ie. cheering for the team to win) As per usual you completely missed the point and went off on a tangent. 

No, I didn't. You said what you said. Own up to it. Don't deny your statement was meant to be something else. If I cheer for my team to lose to get a higher draft pick or a coaching change after they are mired in last place I'm no worse of a fan than you are if you want them to win every game. You're just a mindless sucker then in my opinion.

No, I didn't. You said what you said. Own up to it. Don't deny your statement was meant to be something else. If I cheer for my team to lose to get a higher draft pick or a coaching change after they are mired in last place I'm no worse of a fan than you are if you want them to win every game. You're just a mindless sucker then in my opinion.

I've heard fans say they want their team to lose for whatever reason but once the game starts they are cheering when their team makes a good play, a big hit or scores and they have been happy with the win. I think you are in a small minority if you are actually cheering for the opposition during a game.

There is never a time I don't want my team to win.

Never.

That means I always want the worst draft pick positioning...every year.

And I'm willing to win just to get it.

As a fan, cheering to lose to get a better draft position just doesn't cross my mind in what I want from my team.

To be honest, I always want the team to win and always get caught up in the desire for victory.  But at times like these, when they lose, it bothers me a lot less because its all about the future and the draft position plays into that.

Yep. That's it. It also has to be pretty bleak... Like last football season for fans to feel that way. So, if the Bombers had rattled off 3 straight victories at the end last season & they kept Burke as HC would people be cheering? 

Hey,I  don't  cheer for my teams to lose. I've been a fan for half a century with the Bombers. If I did cheer for them to lose, I'd have given up on them long ago. I'm just saying at some point people get angry with the product & get turned off. Look at attendance for a losing team. Are they bad fans for not going to games? I'd bet most aren't.

I'm just saying at some point people get angry with the product & get turned off. Look at attendance for a losing team. Are they bad fans for not going to games? I'd bet most aren't.

but this isn't really the point. If those angry fans stop going but come back when the team wins doesn't that hammer home the point that fans just want to see wins? The question is about cheering for losses, no one who is a fan does that. 

I'm just saying at some point people get angry with the product & get turned off. Look at attendance for a losing team. Are they bad fans for not going to games? I'd bet most aren't.

but this isn't really the point. If those angry fans stop going but come back when the team wins doesn't that hammer home the point that fans just want to see wins? The question is about cheering for losses, no one who is a fan does that. 

It can be interpreted both ways. Fans stay away are angry so they won't buy tickets. Fans buy tickets because the team wins. No,I don't cheer for losses either but I do  understand when some fans get so fed up with losing that after a loss they say good. 

I'm definitely not an expert or an insider but based on what I've heard I don't think the NHL in Seattle is imminent.

We're talking about building a new arena but the rich guys who would own it are on the record as being much more passionate about basketball than about hockey. I've heard that the city and county money earmarked for that new arena doesn't come free until there's a basketball tenant for it, so a lot has to happen before the NHL will find a home here.*

In 2012 there was quite a bit of talk about the Coyotes coming here for pennies on the dollar. My guess is that if Bettman keeps all the present teams stable for the next 2-3 years, we'll see another round of NHL expansion to Quebec and another city.  Seattle is a relatively rich town but I don't know if there's a wealthy sucker here who'd pay premium money for a crappy expansion team.

With all due respect to the T-Birds, it's been nearly 100 years since a hockey team captured Seattle's imagination. I wouldn't bet that the fans here would be passionate enough to support a terrible expansion team for any amount of time.  All the hockey fans I know already have a favourite NHL team and all of the other sports fans I know follow the Mariners or the Hawks or the Sounders, or they're still mourning the Sonics.  There's just not a massive pent-up demand for pro hockey here.

* (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/nbainseattle/2014/04/02/chris-hansen-seattle-will-have-a-basketball-team/)

Thanks for the story. It's clear that Chris Hansen in Seattle is so so about hockey but knows the key to a successful arena is having dates that are being used & hockey would supply an additional minimum of 42 dates a year which would make the new arena very profitable. I think he needs the NHL more than he wants to admit. I think he's crazy not to want to own 2 different teams if he can to maximize profits in that new arena. Clearly an NHL team can't survive in the Key Arena for more than a year or two with only 11,000 seats suitable for hockey. Everything is on hold looks like until the NBA is good & ready to come back to Seattle.