Rumour: Jets/Isles to Deal on Draft Day?

imo, the jets should make a captain change - little, wheeler or scheifele are good candidates. not sure about kane.

trade ladd, buff, pavelec, joiknen and setoguchi.

acquire a better goalie, a top 2 (or 3) centre should be on top of the list too.

What's Ladd doing wrong as a captain that makes you think he should be replaced? What makes the other three better options?

Putting the C on Scheifele would be a huge mistake IMO. I'm ok with putting the C on a young guy if it's a young, developing team around him (Crosby, Toews for example). It's different with the Jets though. We've got a handful of quality vets on the team, so we don't need to burden Scheifele with the added pressure of trying to be the team leader.

Not everyone can be Steven Stamkos. 30 goal scorers in the NHL aren't all that common these days, Jets fans should be glad to have a guy like Kane. But I guess they can't over look the fact that he acts more like a football or basketball player. God forbid a hockey player shows any kind of personality.

It's too easy to paint everybody with the same brush like that. It's very frustrating to watch him take wrist shots from just inside the blue line on a nightly basis. He has the skill level to be one of the best in the NHL, but he's not close.

I'm not advocating to trade him just for the sake of trading him though. If we can't get a big haul, I wouldn't do it.

Every goal scorer does that though. You can't score a goal if you don't put the puck on net and unless you expect guys to carry a huge shooting percentage like Stamkos not every shot is going to score. Like I said, guys who score 30 goals in the NHL are not that common and Kane is one of them at a young age. Be satisfied with what he is and don't expect him to be a super star.

You're making it too black-and-white, as usual.  Kane is particularly bad for this.  With his natural talent, if he would simply put a little effort into learning the game and beating guys with his mind rather than just his body, he COULD be a superstar.  That's what's so frustrating.  Brett Hull used to say he was a good goal-scorer until he took the time to really understand the game... and that's when he became a GREAT goal scorer.  No one is denying that Kane is a useful player and certainly one of the most dangerous offensive threats on the Jets.  It's just that he could be so much more.

Enough with the "Jets fans should just be grateful for what they have" mentality.  What a loser way of thinking.  Come down from your ivory tower in Calgary and realize that Jets fans are just like any other fans, they want their players to perform to their maximum potential.

And how old is Kane again? Let the kid (he still is practically a kid for cryin out loud) mature a bit and see what he wants to do with his career.. Faaaaaar too early to give up on him..

Not everyone can be Steven Stamkos. 30 goal scorers in the NHL aren't all that common these days, Jets fans should be glad to have a guy like Kane. But I guess they can't over look the fact that he acts more like a football or basketball player. God forbid a hockey player shows any kind of personality.

It's too easy to paint everybody with the same brush like that. It's very frustrating to watch him take wrist shots from just inside the blue line on a nightly basis. He has the skill level to be one of the best in the NHL, but he's not close.

I'm not advocating to trade him just for the sake of trading him though. If we can't get a big haul, I wouldn't do it.

Every goal scorer does that though. You can't score a goal if you don't put the puck on net and unless you expect guys to carry a huge shooting percentage like Stamkos not every shot is going to score. Like I said, guys who score 30 goals in the NHL are not that common and Kane is one of them at a young age. Be satisfied with what he is and don't expect him to be a super star.

You're making it too black-and-white, as usual.  Kane is particularly bad for this.  With his natural talent, if he would simply put a little effort into learning the game and beating guys with his mind rather than just his body, he COULD be a superstar.  That's what's so frustrating.  Brett Hull used to say he was a good goal-scorer until he took the time to really understand the game... and that's when he became a GREAT goal scorer.  No one is denying that Kane is a useful player and certainly one of the most dangerous offensive threats on the Jets.  It's just that he could be so much more.

Enough with the "Jets fans should just be grateful for what they have" mentality.  What a loser way of thinking.  Come down from your ivory tower in Calgary and realize that Jets fans are just like any other fans, they want their players to perform to their maximum potential.

And how old is Kane again? Let the kid (he still is practically a kid for cryin out loud) mature a bit and see what he wants to do with his career.. Faaaaaar too early to give up on him..

Which one of us that you quoted said it's time to give up on him?

Kane is what 6 years in? How many years before he matures??

It is his 5th year but he is only 22.

Based on your statement, would you give him more time to develop in the NHL if he only had fewer years in the NHL and the rest had been played in the minors?  Players need time to develop regardless of where they play.  Give him time to develop the other parts of his game.

He has no where near hit his peek or plateau and has already had a 30 game season.

Good story by Lawless about buff and what I was most curious about was the assertion that Buff is enjoying playing forward.

That *might* change my mind about trading him. And I think Kane could go. Not due to lack of talent or whatever. But if this team wants a certain identity that he doesn't fit into then trade him. We would get a significant return.

We still need another top six forward and a 3-4 d man.

Buff has actually shown me 10 times more than E. Kane since shifting to forward. Still has a massive weakness in that he's not really a 200 foot player (ever watched him backcheck after creating a scoring threat?) and that can lead to other teams having more 3 or 4 on 2s than they deserve!

btw - Andrew Ladd is probably the worst at 'washing off' his backcheck too early. Kane is actually better than either Ladd or Buff at back-checking and Kane is a mediocre back-checker - only good cuz he can use his incredible speed during the first portion of an actual back-check before he 'washes off' like Buff and Ladd.

Anyhoo...  still trying to figure out who Islanders could offer for Kane?

Okposo, Griffin Reinhart and a 2nd round pick?

I think even the goofs who run the isles would laugh at that one. Kane's stock has plummeted but I guess its worth a try.

At this point I'd rather Chevy exercise their buyout on Kane vs. Pavelec if both of them are deemed untradeable. 

Kane is just bad news. Took 3 years for Chipman, Chevy, etc. to figure it out!

I wouldn't say Kane's stock has dropped. There isn't a hockey journalist alive who doesn't think teams would line up and salivate at the prospect of making offers for Kane.

If he was a scratch for no other reason than poor play it's very interesting. It's been said many times that part of why Maurice is here is to provide Chevy with a fresh perspective on guys.

Kane could be the jewel of the draft day deals. He doesn't have to bring back a player of equal potential as long as he brings back several key pieces that make the team better over all.

Blake wheeler has clearly usurped Kane as the Jets resodent superstar and there's no reason to believe Scheif and Trouba won't be the heart and soul of this team for he best 10+ years. Kane is potentially expendable.

If chevy hangs a for sale sign around Kane's neck he will have a lot of options.

• 2 weeks later...

Id do Hamonic,Strome and a pick for Kane from the NYI.

Thats a fair Deal.

Id do that for Buff too actually.

You arent gonna give away either of those guys for free so really, if a team wants one of them that badly, Nothing less then Hamonic,Strome and a pick.

Strome replaces Olli and Hamonic gives us another top 4 d man, Could move a guy like Toby back to the east really.

I dont think we trade kane or buff or toby for that matter to teams in our own conference or division, I think if we move anyone, its to the east.

Look at eastern teams. NYI,NYR,PHILLY, I think the Islanders have a bunch of guys who would benefit from a change of scenery, Josh Bailey is another.

But if a team wants one of our guys that bad, you get what you want or you dont do it at all. You dont trade guys for bags of crap or pucks, You trade them for guys who will make a difference. Want a 23 year old 30 goal scorer? (how has he regressed exactly?? he scored 30 plus year 1, was on pace for 30 plus during the lockout shortened season, had 19 this year and missed a bunch of games) He is a perenial 30 goal scorer, you dont trade those guys for anything  but top end talent.

The main issue with Kane is it seems people like to believe what they read on the internet is always true, its not. I mean, i could find a website that tells you the sky is green and the grass is blue but we all know thats not the case.

Its fair to see that people are quick to react to Kane "rumours".  but it's also fair to see that he's been the subject of a lot more "rumours" than any other Jet.  yes he's young.  But I know of another young player (a friend of Kane's actually) who picked a fight while intoxicated at a local bar during the lockout and it got very little play.  Some of the Kane's rumours are true. 

But if social media existed when the Jets 1.0 were here, keith Tkachuk would have been run out of town and he ended up maturing into a very good player and seemingly a very good person.

Id do Hamonic,Strome and a pick for Kane from the NYI.

Ok, but why do the Islanders do that? That's what people always forget when they come up with trade ideas, the other team needs a reason to do it too. 

They might. You put kane with Tavares and that gives them a pretty solid group there. Islanders have been known to do some pretty interesting moves, it wouldnt shock me if they would. Maybe remove the pick tho as they dont really have a first rounder this year (if they do, they are keeping it or it goes to buffalo)(it cant go anywhere else)(its either NYI's or buffalos) Kane for Hamonic and Strome even they might consider. Islanders have been floundering recently, they need to make a move, rumors were tavares wasnt even too happy with the way things went for the team this year, it was an epic fail really. Went  from making playoffs last year to pretty much 5th last overall. Changes could be coming.

imo, the jets should make a captain change - little, wheeler or scheifele are good candidates. not sure about kane.

trade ladd, buff, pavelec, joiknen and setoguchi.

acquire a better goalie, a top 2 (or 3) centre should be on top of the list too.

What's Ladd doing wrong as a captain that makes you think he should be replaced? What makes the other three better options?

Putting the C on Scheifele would be a huge mistake IMO. I'm ok with putting the C on a young guy if it's a young, developing team around him (Crosby, Toews for example). It's different with the Jets though. We've got a handful of quality vets on the team, so we don't need to burden Scheifele with the added pressure of trying to be the team leader.

Late to this thread.

The issue with Ladd is that before the coaching change his effort level was obviously missing. He talked about playing better and playing hard each night but didn't show up. Meanwhile, wheeler and Kane and trouba and shied fly were working their asses off flying all over the rink. Then Maurice comes inboard and instantly Ladd starts playing harder? That not the leader we need and I think we should ship him out and shakeup the culture of the team.

I can take the losses if the team is hard working, fore checking, blocking shots and rushing back to play D. I can't take the same team not showing up the next game vs a weaker team. That speaks to leadership and that falls on Ladd.

Wheeler could make a great captain as he shows up each game and is flying out there attacking, rushing back, Kane is out ther flying all over, taking shots, hitting everything and not afraid to stand up for his teammates.

I would love to see Ladd out of here.