Rumour: Jets/Isles to Deal on Draft Day?

Hockeybuzz is the least reliable source for rumours out there. Seriously they're a punchline everywhere.

Yes and no. They take criticism but all they is talk rumours all day everyday. How many rumours or talked about deals actually happen. Some of their writers are good.

Either way it makes for some good talking points.

Aside from Tavares who do the islanders have that we would want that would also fit I to a Buff and/or Kane deal?

Hockeybuzz is the least reliable source for rumours out there. Seriously they're a punchline everywhere.

Yes and no. They take criticism but all they is talk rumours all day everyday. How many rumours or talked about deals actually happen. Some of their writers are good.

Either way it makes for some good talking points.

Aside from Tavares who do the islanders have that we would want that would also fit I to a Buff and/or Kane deal?

That's exactly why they aren't worth listening to. If they hear that one GM calls another they put it up to generate page views. Until someone reputable like Bob Mckenzie brings up a rumour it's got no legs at all. 

I would offer up a dumpstain like Kane in a minute. Lets the Islanders rehabilitate this man with so many bad on-ice habits. Great speed, errant shot, no real on-ice vision.

BIg Buff would be a bitter pill to swallow but we haven't won squat with this 6'4", 300 pounder patrolling the ice. 

Obviously, Tavares is verboten (like Trouba and Schiefele to the Jets)

But I'd certainly consider taking a hi-grade 3rd d-man like Travis Hamonic, a quality 3rd line centre and the Isles first draft pick this year. 

Hamonic, a #1 pick and a quality 3rd line centre won't be enough to get the jets to the playoff promised land this year but by 2016 they should be showing some life. I also want them to upgrade the goal=tending as Pavelec isn't really the kind of stopper necessary to make up for the developing roster. 

Guys like Lowery and O'Dell should be ready to replace fringers like Thorburn, Tangredi, Wright, etc. 

I think the Jets actually did well this year. To end up with 79 or 80 pts with the AHL and ECHL sludge on this roster is pretty darn good. 

And I really hate it when the GM says we've got a good core of guys. He means 12 to 15 guys which is kinda deceitful. imho the jets quality core is more like 6 to 9 guys (ie. Trouba, Schiefele, Stuart, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Lowery, Morrisey, Buff (if he stays). Guys like Jokinen, Setoguchi, Tangredi, Enstrom, Wright, slater, etc. are overpaid scroungers. 

I don't think they pull the trigger on those guys unless somehow they get a steal of a deal.....    I do think though if Kane doesn't improve next season that he will be dealed on the trade deadline for picks or something of value.... how long can you wait before a guy actually picks up his game.   

Sure he might get 30 goals but he takes a ridiculous amount of shots and rarely sets up any plays....  I'll take a guy like Schiefele who might only get 15 - 20 goals but who will actually create a tonne of more scoring chances by passing the puck and probably would end up with the same amount of points as Kane.

I don't think they pull the trigger on those guys unless somehow they get a steal of a deal.....    I do think though if Kane doesn't improve next season that he will be dealed on the trade deadline for picks or something of value.... how long can you wait before a guy actually picks up his game.   

Sure he might get 30 goals but he takes a ridiculous amount of shots and rarely sets up any plays....  I'll take a guy like Schiefele who might only get 15 - 20 goals but who will actually create a tonne of more scoring chances by passing the puck and probably would end up with the same amount of points as Kane.

I think they've shown incredible patience with Kane. Especially his propensity to take 2 minutes for being stupid penalties. Problem was when he was drafted he was not slotted down to the minors to learn the basics of the game. Thus his toolkit is the same as when it was when he was 18. 6'2", 195 lb. winger (which is actually under-sized for a power forward) who can skate like the wind and shoot off-line bullets but after that his toolkit is virtually empty. If we wait another year to see his skill set repeat then we won't even get two 3rd rounders for the kid. Gotta cut the cord soon - I'm sure Paul Maurice doesn't trust Kane much either!

Pav is a good goalie. Upgrade the dozen or so AHL players in front of him and he will do fine.

Lol the roster isn't that bad.   Pav sucks not because of the poor defense... it's his poor rebounds that he gives up and his lack of ability to stop a wrap around.       The numbers don't lie.... Montoya is playing behind the same "AHL'ers" that you say and he's keeping the team in the game much better then Pav does. 

The team has been in the game better since the coaching change.  How has Montoya and the Jets done since he was in the number one spot?  

The Jets roster has no depth and even the number 1 line up is a 500 team at best.  Those numbers don't lie.  As the team improves so with Pav's numbers.  Give it time. 

Would not trade Kane. This is a guy not even in the prime of his career.

It blows my mind, I've never seen a city ride a guy so hard when he's a) so young and B) competes so hard on a nightly basis. Seriously, is there a guy on the Jets other than Kane that competes with such a high level of effort night in and night out? Wheeler maybe? People criticize him for not being enough of a team guy, but that's not what I see at all.

Personally, I want to see Scheifele feeding Kane passes for the next 10 years.

6 million for a guy who has only surpassed 20 goals once in his 5 year career. That's why people ride him.

Have to be careful with how you word that, because he blew past 20 goals once on his way to becoming one of the youngest guys to ever score 30. Then he got hit with a lockout season and it's not reasonable to count that. And he's likely to put 20 in the net this year.

So really, 20 goals once in 5 years could easily turn into twice in 4 years in a hurry.

And let's be honest, we know Atlanta rushed him. He may be in his 5th year but he's also 22 years old. It'll come.

6 million for a guy who has only surpassed 20 goals once in his 5 year career. That's why people ride him.

Have to be careful with how you word that, because he blew past 20 goals once on his way to becoming one of the youngest guys to ever score 30. Then he got hit with a lockout season and it's not reasonable to count that. And he's likely to put 20 in the net this year.

So really, 20 goals once in 5 years could easily turn into twice in 4 years in a hurry.

And let's be honest, we know Atlanta rushed him. He may be in his 5th year but he's also 22 years old. It'll come.

Probably but maybe not. A little humility until he actually proves something would go a long way towards getting people off his back. Though I'm sure he doesn't care.

and in that lockout season he was on pace for 29 or 30 goals again. Seriously at what is he? 22? 23? to be a 30 goal scorer... some people just expect everyone to be Crosby. 

Money and career trajectory aside, my biggest issue with Kane is that he simply just doesn't think the game well.  He relies 100% on his speed and strength.  Sure he'll get to 30 goals again.  But he could be so much more.  A guy like him should be an ace on the power play, but he is terrible out there.  If he would just allow himself to be coached up a little bit, we might see him blossom into a true superstar.  Maybe some of it is on the coaches that he has had so far.  But when you see a guy firing bad angle shots indiscriminately, night after night, you realize that he probably has no interest in working on his mental game.  He just wants to get the puck and fire it on net... but that's only half the battle.  30 goals come from being physically dominant, but the next 30 come from being in the right spot at the right time, and he has seemingly made no progress in that regard since day one in the league.

imo, the jets should make a captain change - little, wheeler or scheifele are good candidates. not sure about kane.

trade ladd, buff, pavelec, joiknen and setoguchi.

acquire a better goalie, a top 2 (or 3) centre should be on top of the list too.

In a market like Winnipeg, likeability will always play a factor.  Teemu was likeable.  Keith Tkachuk wasn't.  Imagine if twitter and facebook were around when Tkachuk was prowling Wise Guys.  Yikes.  And he matured, became a great player.

The ONLY reason I'd trade Kane is if he *has* to go.  And he *has* to go if he's a "cancer" in the locker room and/or if he intends to bolt when his deal is up.  If he likes Winnipeg and this team and is "apart of the team" then you keep him.  Far too much talent.

I do agree he plays the game in a sometimes "selfish" manner which I chalk up to him having pretty untalented line mates most of the time.  When he streaks into the zone, he looks over and in that split second he knows the best chance at a scoring opportunity is keeping the puck.

If our #1 line next season is Kane-Scheif-Wheeler, look out.

Also...Enstrom is not over-rated.  Very, very good D man.  Guys like Wright are also good and fill the right role if the other bottom six guys are better.  If we upgrade bottom six, I still like James Wright on this team.