I want to talk about something that really grinds my gears

Mike

I've been away from Winnipeg for 24 years.... Let's discuss the best pizza restaurants in Winnipeg. There used to be a restaurant that my friends & I would go to after the bars closed down at 2 am back in the 80's as it stayed open until after 4 am & the pizza was great. It was a sit down restaurant. It was (I think) in a renovated house on Osborne St at or near River Avenue. Great pizza.... Anyone remember the name? Is that place still around??

Anyway, tell us your best pizza joint, why & where it is located? And if someone can answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

Actually it was Pasquale's that was in the old house. The original Pasquale encountered tragedy when his son dived into an empty pool and became a parapalegic - lives in Vancouver now. Pasquale sold his name and recipes to another guy who moved the store to St. Boniface (where it still exists) but started becoming a human hoarder. I remember when I had the bookshop on Osborne Pasquale would drift in the odd time, start ranting and foaming and then try to sell me some soiled comic book for $100. Kinda sad but the restaurant was just as good, if not better than Papa Georges down the street (which also closed in 2013 and just re-opened as something else)

Burger: Johnnys on Marion.  Johnny G's is also pretty good.  I just went to some greasy spoon on North Pembina for the first time (cant remember the name Something Grill) and the burger was huge but had zero taste.

Pizza: I will second the vote for Gondola.  I am also a big fan of Tony's on Pembina.  And if anyone needs pizza for a party, Santa Lucia's Giant Pizza is huge and a great conversation piece.

Complaint: WTF is with McDonald's fries?  More often then not they only half fill those things.  And now they charge for McChicken sauce...like come on.  I agree Wendy's is a better fast food joint.

Prefer 5 Guys to Fatburger.  Five Guys has a great hotdog also.  Where is Carl jr's located?

Burger: Johnnys on Marion.  Johnny G's is also pretty good.  I just went to some greasy spoon on North Pembina for the first time (cant remember the name Something Grill) and the burger was huge but had zero taste.

Pizza: I will second the vote for Gondola.  I am also a big fan of Tony's on Pembina.  And if anyone needs pizza for a party, Santa Lucia's Giant Pizza is huge and a great conversation piece.

Complaint: WTF is with McDonald's fries?  More often then not they only half fill those things.  And now they charge for McChicken sauce...like come on.  I agree Wendy's is a better fast food joint.

Prefer 5 Guys to Fatburger.  Five Guys has a great hotdog also.  Where is Carl jr's located?

Garwood?

Didn't know Market Burger was owned by Ace Burpee.

I keep meaning to try Unburger, but it was closed for renovations or repairs of some kind the last two times I checked it out.

Unburger is very hit and miss, and for a place that only makes burgers (expensive ones) I expected a little better.

It's also hipster central atmosphere-wise, which can be hit or miss depending on your perspective.

I've been away from Winnipeg for 24 years.... Let's discuss the best pizza restaurants in Winnipeg. There used to be a restaurant that my friends & I would go to after the bars closed down at 2 am back in the 80's as it stayed open until after 4 am & the pizza was great. It was a sit down restaurant. It was (I think) in a renovated house on Osborne St at or near River Avenue. Great pizza.... Anyone remember the name? Is that place still around??

Anyway, tell us your best pizza joint, why & where it is located? And if someone can answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

Actually it was Pasquale's that was in the old house. The original Pasquale encountered tragedy when his son dived into an empty pool and became a parapalegic - lives in Vancouver now. Pasquale sold his name and recipes to another guy who moved the store to St. Boniface (where it still exists) but started becoming a human hoarder. I remember when I had the bookshop on Osborne Pasquale would drift in the odd time, start ranting and foaming and then try to sell me some soiled comic book for $100. Kinda sad but the restaurant was just as good, if not better than Papa Georges down the street (which also closed in 2013 and just re-opened as something else)

Yeah, that house was on Osborne Street across from the Dutch Maid restaurant. I like it too. Really great pizza. We used to go there quite a bit but Papa George's was the pizza restaurant we'd hit at 2:30 or 3 in the morning after the bars closed on a Friday or Saturday night. 

Garwood?

Thats it.

You have no idea how much I miss Chicken Delight when all we have in Calgary is Chicken On The Way & KFC.

Had chicken on the way for the first time a few months ago, I don't know what the big deal is. Everyone talked it up like it was the greatest thing to happen to fried chicken, the Chicken Chef (and before that it was Chicken Delight) in the small town I grew up in was better than that. 

In the early 99's Subway really exploded. My friends and I used to go there every day for lunch in high school. I remember it being better but maybe that's just nostalgia.

Mr Sub was always better.

I then switched from Subs to Pita Pit. When that place opened on University Cres it was the bomb. Lots of meat, lots of cheese. It's still decent but for you vegans they seem to hate you there.

Pita pit is a personal fav, ditto mr.sub. Really been loving palatal express as of late..

For you westerners, bad ass jacks.. If you've never been, I recommend it.. I loooooved that place when it was here and in Brandon..

Pita pit is a personal fav, ditto mr.sub. Really been loving palatal express as of late..

For you westerners, bad ass jacks.. If you've never been, I recommend it.. I loooooved that place when it was here and in Brandon..

If I'm in the mood for a Pita I like extreme pita. Can't beat the grilled vegetables

and for burgers nothing satisfys for the right price like a handful of junior bacon cheeseburgers.

I dunno what's up with all the subway hate, I don't mind it and it's pretty much the go to fast food place (now maybe that's because there's one very close to my house) Mr. Sub I like but may have over done that in university since that was the sub place in the cafeteria on campus. Quiznos is good as well but I find the subs aren't quite as filling. 

I dunno what's up with all the subway hate, I don't mind it and it's pretty much the go to fast food place (now maybe that's because there's one very close to my house) Mr. Sub I like but may have over done that in university since that was the sub place in the cafeteria on campus. Quiznos is good as well but I find the subs aren't quite as filling. 

Did a bottle rocket get shot up your nose killing your senese of smell at a young age? The place reeks.