Tim Horton Field Update

iso_55

Young is putting money into the stadium - I believe it's about $15M now after a recent announcement that he would be spending an additional $5M on some stadium upgrades. As well the Ticats will be paying substantially more in rent than they were paying before and the City will be getting the naming rights money. And I think if you review what happened you will see the Hamilton mayor was locked on to the West Harbour location from the get go. 

You didn't answer the question, where were the Ticats supposed to play last season.

Young is putting money into the stadium - I believe it's about $15M now after a recent announcement that he would be spending an additional $5M on some stadium upgrades. As well the Ticats will be paying substantially more in rent than they were paying before and the City will be getting the naming rights money. And I think if you review what happened you will see the Hamilton mayor was locked on to the West Harbour location from the get go. 

You didn't answer the question, where were the Ticats supposed to play last season.

Well, alright, I'll play Captain Obvious as you seem to be asking for it. Had Bob not torpedoed the WH location as well as another site then the Ti Cats would have still been playing at IWS & there'd be no issues. Young put no  money into the current Pan Am  Stadium construct. Or he came to  the  table after everything was resolved. The $145 million dollar price tag is 100% taxpayer funded.

Caretaker Bob has treated his fans like garbage. He never put a cent into Tim Hortons Field. He hated every location the city wanted. He delayed construction for over a year. Took the team to Guelph & played in a dinky little amateur stadium. Now this.  

Every site ?

There was only one proposed by the City and that was the West Harbour. Sorry, but if I was Bob Young I'd say no as well.

Where's the other $10 million coming from ?

As far as I know the Ticats are only putting in $5 million, for locker room and fitness room etc.

Jacquie, Caretaker Bob wanted to be treated as a partner & not a tenant. He always talked about how he'd put money into a new stadium in a couple of publc letters he released. Yet in reality, he never put in a cent. If Young wanted a say in the stadium, then Mr. Billionaire should have ponied up.

Putting in $30 million of his own money would have given him a say in just about everything including location. He never spent a penny. He wasn't a partner. He was a tenant. He wanted everything his way for free & why should he have got that?

Well, what did Caretaker Bob do? He rejected EVERY site the city chose. He ended up taking the Ti Cats out of town to Guelph for an entire season into a facility that was less than half the size of Ivor Wynne Stadium.. Now, Tim Horton's Field won't be finished until October. I agree everyone is to blame here for the fiasco but the most blame is pointed in Young's direction. He got a new stadium for free & even that wasn't good enough.

I agree with the notion that where Young screwed up was trying to be a partner when he wasn't putting in any money, Eisenberger even pointed out that until the Ticats put in money they're just a tenant, then Scott Mitchell got pissed off and through the whole thing over board.

Again Young and the Ticats only said no to one site, the disgusting part of the whole thing is the location that they wanted (Confederation Park) wasn't ever under consideration due to the sleezeball Brad Clark, who at the time stated he wanted to keep it "Green Space", yet one month after the City and Ticats agreed to stay at the Ivor Wynne location, he releases his plans to turn Confed Park into a business district.

Sorry, but the City should take much more of the blame over Young, the Ticats told the City in 2011 that the West Harbour wouldn't work for them and the City continued trudging along. The City only legitimately looked at 2 sites (the airport lands and the West Harbour) and funny enough both studies on the West Harbour (of which Eisenberg was a part of) stated that the Harbour wasn't a sufficient enough site for stadium. Yet Eisenberger & Co overlooked the whole thing due to secret deals they had in place. I'm not even mentioning how Eisenberger didn't tell the Ticats nor the City Council that he had a conversation with the Provincial leaders and was informed that they would put in more money if necessary. It was big news in Hamilton for weeks.

Well, alright, I'll play Captain Obvious as you seem to be asking for it. Had Bob not torpedoed the WH location as well as another site then the Ti Cats would have still been playing at IWS & there'd be no issues. Young put no  money into the current Pan Am  Stadium construct. Or he came to  the  table after everything was resolved. The $145 million dollar price tag is 100% taxpayer funded.

Bob Young didn't want the West Harbour site for many of the same reasons people ***** about the site of IGF - limited access to the site, parking, NIMBYs. It was not a financially viable location.

I'm not sure what other sites you're referring to since City Council rejected a number of sites (CP land, Confederation Park for example) before deciding to go with the West Harbour location. The games were awarded in late 2009 and, iirc, it was from April or May, 2010 that the disagreement over site became an issue. Hamilton city council voted in August, 2010 to have the stadium at the West Harbour. In December, 2010 the new mayor came into office and by February, 2011 there was an agreement to re-build at the Ivor Wynne site with demolition starting in fall, 2012. It wasn't years of arguing (like what happened here) and it is a win-win situation for the City and the team. 

As far as I know the Ticats are only putting in $5 million, for locker room and fitness room etc.

I'm trying to find out how much they are putting in - I saw $10M in one article but it might have been old. It would seem to be at least $10M as the Specator indicated "Owner Bob Young is investing (another) $5 million to upgrade the football facilities". 

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4478239-cfl-momentum-of-ticats-carrying-into-corporate-life/

CP land was rejected due to cost. $70-90 million to buy the land, move the business that was using the site etc. That price didn't even include remediation.

Again only 2 sites where looked at by the City initially (Airport land and West Harbour). East Mountain came up when the facilitator became involved, then Innovation Park, then CP Land then the agreement was struck to stay at Ivor Wynne.

Bob Young didn't want the West Harbour site for many of the same reasons people ***** about the site of IGF - limited access to the site, parking, NIMBYs. It was not a financially viable location.

I'm not sure what other sites you're referring to since City Council rejected a number of sites (CP land, Confederation Park for example) before deciding to go with the West Harbour location. The games were awarded in late 2009 and, iirc, it was from April or May, 2010 that the disagreement over site became an issue. Hamilton city council voted in August, 2010 to have the stadium at the West Harbour. In December, 2010 the new mayor came into office and by February, 2011 there was an agreement to re-build at the Ivor Wynne site with demolition starting in fall, 2012. It wasn't years of arguing (like what happened here) and it is a win-win situation for the City and the team. 

East Mountain site was mentioned as well. It was an area where a lot of Ti Cats fans thought would work very well.  It's looked upon as an area where things will take off in a number of years. I've never been to Hamilton so I don't know where it is.  

I'm trying to find out how much they are putting in - I saw $10M in one article but it might have been old. It would seem to be at least $10M as the Specator indicated "Owner Bob Young is investing (another) $5 million to upgrade the football facilities". 

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4478239-cfl-momentum-of-ticats-carrying-into-corporate-life/

This is all after the fact. The $$ the Ti Cats are putting in is after the stadium is finished. Not part of the actual construction cost. The $145 million cost to build THF is 100% taxpayer funded. Which is why I say if Young had his concerns & wanted to be a part of the decisions on location of the stadium he should have come to the table as a full partner before construction. The Ti Cats are putting in $20 million in order to have control of the naming rights which they hope recoups that amount. The $20 million is the lease costs pegged at $1 million a year. Also, the City of Hamilton owes Young a million dollars a game under the lease agreement for every game the stadium is not completed. So, even though the stadium will be used, because it's not finished, Young pockets his yearly lease payments PER GAME until the stadium is fully finished. He's laughing.

East Mountain site was mentioned as well. It was an area where a lot of Ti Cats fans thought would work very well. It's looked upon as an area where things will take off in a number of years. I've never been to Hamilton so I don't know where it is.

East Mountain is the site Young wanted.

The City of Hamilton gets $750,000 per year of the naming rights money.

And from what I've read, the Ticats would get a million per game if they can't play in the stadium. And the City of Hamilton only pays if they are reimbursed by Infrastructure Ontario. IIRC the contractor is ultimately on the hook but I'm not certain about that.

East Mountain site was mentioned as well. It was an area where a lot of Ti Cats fans thought would work very well. It's looked upon as an area where things will take off in a number of years. I've never been to Hamilton so I don't know where it is.

East Mountain was the site Facilitator Michel Fehn choose out of 10 and the Ticats agreed to look at it.

Confederation Park is the site that Bob Young wanted.

East Mountain was the site Facilitator Michel Fehn choose out of 10 and the Ticats agreed to look at it.

Confederation Park is the site that Bob Young wanted.

Confederation Park was rejected by the Hamilton City Council before they decided on West Harbour. When Fenn recommended East Mountain, Young agreed to the location. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ticats will be making an announcement soon regarding the state of construction and if they will be ready for July 26th. Sounds like they won't be ready even on a temporary basis now. The plan B is to go back to McMaster. This would pose all sorts of nightmares for the team. Temp seating, temp press boxes, getting everything ready for TV and oh yeah trying to get 27,000+ into a stadium that seats 6,000 (12,000 with temp seating) they would likely have to do a lottery of something and refund the rest. Talk about ticking off an entire fan base. They really dont have many other options but do you think they could go to the opposing teams venue until things get completed? They could go to Ottawa July 26th and to Winnipeg on July 31st. They would have to refund everyone's tickets and maybe the opposing teams could give them gate $$ and keep parking, concessions etc etc. would anyone here spend more money to see an extra game at IGF if it came to it?? I know I would!

Just a thought.

Ticats will be making an announcement soon regarding the state of construction and if they will be ready for July 26th. Sounds like they won't be ready even on a temporary basis now. The plan B is to go back to McMaster. This would pose all sorts of nightmares for the team. Temp seating, temp press boxes, getting everything ready for TV and oh yeah trying to get 27,000+ into a stadium that seats 6,000 (12,000 with temp seating) they would likely have to do a lottery of something and refund the rest. Talk about ticking off an entire fan base. They really dont have many other options but do you think they could go to the opposing teams venue until things get completed? They could go to Ottawa July 26th and to Winnipeg on July 31st. They would have to refund everyone's tickets and maybe the opposing teams could give them gate $$ and keep parking, concessions etc etc. would anyone here spend more money to see an extra game at IGF if it came to it?? I know I would!

Just a thought.

Really doubt they could put the games into other cities on that short of notice.  They'd have to eat a lot of money in terms of flights, hotels etc.  They'll play in a parking lot with lines painted on it before that.

Just a thought.

Really doubt they could put the games into other cities on that short of notice.  They'd have to eat a lot of money in terms of flights, hotels etc.  They'll play in a parking lot with lines painted on it before that.

Cats will be getting a million bucks back from the contractor for each home game lost. I'm sure that would cover the expenses. I agree the logistics would be tough to do on short notice but what else can they do? They go to McMaster they lose money, they go to other venues they lose money. If you go to say Ottawa or Winnipeg at least you stand a chance of filling the place and recouping some of the loss. Just asking the question is all :)

And just like that the Cats will have to move their first two home games. I called this a month ago. Sucks for the fans! Wonder what the plan will be? Sounds like Back to Guelph they go. Wonder if they could just switch home games with the teams they play. Ie play Winnipeg in Winnipeg in July and then play in Hamilton in sept or when ever the game is.

Just a thought.

Cats will be getting a million bucks back from the contractor for each home game lost. I'm sure that would cover the expenses. I agree the logistics would be tough to do on short notice but what else can they do? They go to McMaster they lose money, they go to other venues they lose money. If you go to say Ottawa or Winnipeg at least you stand a chance of filling the place and recouping some of the loss. Just asking the question is all :)

They'll lose less money at McMaster.  As you said, they get a payout from the builder.  Why waste more of that on paying for cancellation fees on hotels and flights?

http://www.ticats.ca/article/ticats-to-host-first-two-home-games-at-mcmaster

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4619361-cfl-city-of-hamilton-says-tim-hortons-field-not-ready-for-july-games/

Fans that have purchased tickets to 1st 2 games at Tim Hortons Field will be issued a credit or refund for the full value of each game.

They just need to bring in a horde of TFW's to do the work that Canadian workers are too lazy to do and the stadium will be finished pronto. Same thing goes on in their restaurants every day. Otherwise the toilets would be permanently plugged and no one would wipe up the doughnut vomit.

A small part of me is enjoying this delay as ticat fans pretty much ripped the crap out of the bombers for their delays.. so a small part of me is enjoying this delay. Pretty basic stadium too, imagine they had a roof on it like IGFs... Yikes.