Your expectations for the Bombers in 2014?

gbill2004

the problem is we have to play tough teams like BC and Saskatchewan and Calgary more, no more soft soft eastern teams to play where the toughest team is the painfully average at best toronto argos 

Won't every team play each other twice? (8 other teams X 2 = 16).  That's only 2 extra games against the West instead of against the East.  Hardly a huge difference IMHO.  

That hasn't been the way they've done it in the past. 

Ottawa, for example, played the West in a home and home series, 2x5 for 10 games.

Then they would play 2 Eastern teams 3 times for a total of 16, with the final 2 games with the remaining team.

They would then rotate this pattern every year.

The Western teams would play a similar rotation. (2x4 East, 2x2 W, and 2x3W)

I haven't heard whether there will be a change in this format.

They have always tried to maintain the rivalries in the East and in the West.

Thats the same as playing every team twice + 2 Eastern teams 3 times.

Thats the same as playing every team twice + 2 Eastern teams 3 times.

Not quite, the way I described it is the only way to have a home and home series against the East and keep the Eastern and Western rivalries intact.

Only the Eastern teams would play some Eastern teams 3 times.

I guess we're saying the same thing but in different languages.

Anything less than the playoffs in unacceptable - so 8 or 9 wins.  In a league where the teams pick the leftovers from colleges down south that are either not talented enough or are perceived to not have the physical skillsets suitable to the NFL, this serves as way to level the playing field.  All CFL teams have access to the same pool of players.  That means turnarounds can happen quickly and often do - see Toronto, Calgary and Hamilton in recent years.

Also, the 6 of 9 teams make the playoffs and one of those is an expansion team so in reality the Bombers only need to beat out 2 other teams to make it in.  If we get improvements in coaching, improvements in QBing and the O-line through free agency and trades (something Mack failed to do), improvement in our young Canadians (meaning some of our recent draft picks like Pencer, Etienne and Swiston play to the level expected) and improvement in our imports (particularly the secondary) then this team should make it in.  Those should all be achievable for 2014.

Anything less than 8 wins and a playoff spot is unacceptable.

the problem is we have to play tough teams like BC and Saskatchewan and Calgary more, no more soft soft eastern teams to play where the toughest team is the painfully average at best toronto argos

Won't every team play each other twice? (8 other teams X 2 = 16). That's only 2 extra games against the West instead of against the East. Hardly a huge difference IMHO.

Ottawa, for example, played the West in a home and home series, 2x5 for 10 games.

Then they would play 2 Eastern teams 3 times for a total of 16, with the final 2 games with the remaining team.

As worst in the east we will get Edmonton 3 times, one other western team 3 times and everyone else twice.

2x5 for 10 games in the west means we play ourselves twice. Let's hope we win at least one of those.

You almost had me. 

But...

2w. teams x 2 games =4

the other 2w. teams x 3 games =6, total 10

plus the East teams 2x4 = 8

Total 18

I don't really know what my expectations are, it's just tough to see until the lineup is built.

If you're asking for expectations for a performance from the roster I see in front of me right now, I'd say it's very likely we could win 1 or 2 games. Do we even have a 42 man roster under contract at this point?

It's easy to make reasonable assumptions. Most of our coaching staff is set. We will have one of Collaros, Willy or Burris at QB. Likely sign a few free agents and bring in some new bodies from down south to compete.

Looks like everyone wants to be difficult here so feel free to lock this thread.

Honestly, and again I'm not trying to be difficult, I have no idea how to assume anything about this club right now. I have no idea if we'll see guys like Jovon or Stewart back.  No clue if we're going to run with Will Ford or bring in a starter from college. Even the familiar faces are full of question marks right now so it's just so hard to have any idea.

I don't really know what my expectations are, it's just tough to see until the lineup is built.

If you're asking for expectations for a performance from the roster I see in front of me right now, I'd say it's very likely we could win 1 or 2 games. Do we even have a 42 man roster under contract at this point?

It's easy to make reasonable assumptions. Most of our coaching staff is set. We will have one of Collaros, Willy or Burris at QB. Likely sign a few free agents and bring in some new bodies from down south to compete.

Looks like everyone wants to be difficult here so feel free to lock this thread.

Honestly, and again I'm not trying to be difficult, I have no idea how to assume anything about this club right now. I have no idea if we'll see guys like Jovon or Stewart back.  No clue if we're going to run with Will Ford or bring in a starter from college. Even the familiar faces are full of question marks right now so it's just so hard to have any idea.

this....absolutely no clue right now, but I'm excited to find out more...

playoffs ought to be the goal.

with 5 teams in the West and a new franchise in the East, the crossover will very much be in play.

Won't every team play each other twice? (8 other teams X 2 = 16).  That's only 2 extra games against the West instead of against the East.  Hardly a huge difference IMHO.  

I'm trying to call the Argos crap, why you gotta ruin my fun?

We have like, 4 coaches signed.  How is that "most of our coaching staff"?  We have no DC, not QBC, no OLC, no assistant's.  Hard to come even close to saying what our expectations are right now.

So in your mind who we sign as our DC, OL/DL coach is going to make a big difference to you in terms of your expectations for the Bombers in 2014?  Okay :rolleyes:

Umm...yes. I can have all the unrealistic expectations in the world, but all that is going to do is disappoint me when they're not met. There's no point in setting yourself up for disappointment when you don't have all the variables. Once I know that then I can start to formulate what I expect out of the team. I can't say "I expect them to make it to the grey cup" then they go and hire some terrible DC and before the season even starts I'm going to feel as though we're already defeated.

So, yes, who we sign as our DC and the rest of the coaching staff as well as who will actually be on our team, will change what I am expecting out of our team this year. If you hire a crap DC like Creehan, you can expect to make it to the cup all you want, but you're going to be pissed at the outcome.

The only real expectation I have is that the team will be better than last year and Mike O'Shea will be a very different coach than Tim Burke. Other than that, I'm waiting to find out what happens at quarterback and how free agency shakes down, especially with Henoc Muamba.

So in your mind who we sign as our DC, OL/DL coach is going to make a big difference to you in terms of your expectations for the Bombers in 2014? Okay :rolleyes:

if they didn't make a difference why would we even hire for those positions?

I mean in terms of who is out there and the difference between them significantly impacting the number if wins. Etch vs Marshall vs Orlondo. I don't see either of those guys making a huge difference in terms of wins/losses.