I Am Jealous

BigBlue

As much as the Riders are our most traditional rival, I have to give them my begrudging respect.

How exactly did they end up with the best O-line in the league  and we the worst?

Why were they able to develop a decent starting QB and we couldn't?

How come each year they have a realistic chance of getting to the Grey Cup and for us its nearly always a distant hope?

We are both community owned teams so I tend to compare our club with theirs.

Is the difference our board of detractors er I mean directors and their board?

What else could it be besides senior management?

rider forum is down the street

He's asking legitimate questions that we should all be asking.

I hate the Riders, and it's painful to see them in a home town Grey Cup game. (It's even more painful that I'll be cheering for the Ticats, a team I also can't stand.) But why have they had so much success over the last 8-10 years and we've had mostly failure? We should definitely be looking at those key points BigBlue posted about.

Saying, "Go to the Riders forum!" is like sticking your head in the sand. Let's figure this out so we can reverse our fortunes -- and maybe theirs, too! ;)

As much as the Riders are our most traditional rival, I have to give them my begrudging respect.

How exactly did they end up with the best O-line in the league  and we the worst?

Why were they able to develop a decent starting QB and we couldn't?

How come each year they have a realistic chance of getting to the Grey Cup and for us its nearly always a distant hope?

We are both community owned teams so I tend to compare our club with theirs.

Is the difference our board of detractors er I mean directors and their board?

What else could it be besides senior management?

I'm not going to pretend that I know that the Riders organization is run more or less professionally than ours... but here are a few things I can see that they do better than us:

1) Go outside the organization for coaching/GM hires.  We seem to continually hire former Bomber people.  Joe Mack, LaPo, Burke, Miller, Walters... now we hear about Khari potentially as an HC.  I get that in an 8-team league, many players play for 25-50% of the teams; so hiring former players is going to happen.  Some will end up being very good coaches/personnel people.  But sometimes you need to do what the Riders did... bring in some outside perspective.  Taman was a long-time Bomber... Chamblin's bounced around between other teams and kept a good name as a good coach.  I for one think that given the 5-year tailspin we are in... that some outside perspective and attitude would serve us well.

2) The Riders spend on an appropriate coaching staff.  How can you expect to develop a QB at the same level as the rest of the league... when you throw less money at less coaches; than everyone else?  Hate to say it, but the way out is lit with spending in the right places.  Coaching is one of those places.

3) Their personnel people in the last 5 years have been better than ours.  Mack had a philosophy that he stuck to regardless of outcome... I respect the hell out of him for sticking with what he believed in... however, it didn't work.  In fact, it gave 7 CFL teams a distinct advantage over the Bombers; in decreasing the market for proven CFL players. 

These 3 items I think answer all of your questions.  Better personnel and better coaching translate into better QB development, a better OL, and playoff chances.  An "outside the organization" perspective may be the needed voice in the room to counter an incumbent's "Bomber way" views.

I hate the Riders, and it's painful to see them in a home town Grey Cup game. (It's even more painful that I'll be cheering for the Ticats, a team I also can't stand.) But why have they had so much success over the last 8-10 years and we've had mostly failure? We should definitely be looking at those key points BigBlue posted about.

Saying, "Go to the Riders forum!" is like sticking your head in the sand. Let's figure this out so we can reverse our fortunes -- and maybe theirs, too! ;)

I agree, but easier said than done based on the mixed messages we're constantly bombarded with. One on the one hand you hear: 'Be your own person, don't change for anyone, be confident in who you are'. Then you hear, 'you can't do this alone, there is always room for improvement, look to others for support'. This trickles into sport mindsets as well. If you looked at professional sport organizations as one entity, some become very insular in their thinking and in their approach while others are more liberal in who they look towards for advice and support. My guess is that the Rough Rider organization has a good blend of people in appropriate positions that find the balance between 'I'll do it my way" with "Let's learn from others".

I agree, but easier said than done based on the mixed messages we're constantly bombarded with. One on the one hand you hear: 'Be your own person, don't change for anyone, be confident in who you are'. Then you hear, 'you can't do this alone, there is always room for improvement, look to others for support'. This trickles into sport mindsets as well. If you looked at professional sport organizations as one entity, some become very insular in their thinking and in their approach while others are more liberal in who they look towards for advice and support. My guess is that the Rough Rider organization has a good blend of people in appropriate positions that find the balance between 'I'll do it my way" with "Let's learn from others".

Pet peeve police on patrol, but do you guys know you're not suppose to post INSIDE the quote of the previous poster?  It makes it look like it's a part of their post.

Under the line...UNDER.  KTHXBYE.

Pet peeve police on patrol, but do you guys know you're not suppose to post INSIDE the quote of the previous poster?  It makes it look like it's a part of their post.

My bad. :)

Do it again and you will be shot :)

Do it again and you will be shot :)

LOL...FYI I meant to say that wasn't directed at you.  Just everyone.  EVERYONE NOW AND ALWAYS!

I'm looking at you Tackle.

O_O

Now back to the thread.  Sask does seem to have a good format lately.  It's working for them.

This Grey Cup is going to be all kinds of awful. It's going to be one giant circle jerk to the shrine of Rider Nation and it's already making me sick. Burris and Austin aren't Ti-Cats, they're still former Rider QBs, and two of the top three that I've hated more than any other (Nealon Greene being the third, only because I was younger and the internet was relatively new and Nealon vs Khari was an actual argument Rider fans tried to make at the time). The only way I can possibly enjoy this game is for Smilin' Bank to be horrendous, for Austin to be badly outcoached and for the Riders to still somehow lose, preferably via a really, really stupid penalty.

I don't really have a point, I just needed to vent. 2013 was just the year from hell for Bomber fans, and this Sunday all of us in this handbasket shaped like IGF might just see the seventh level of it.

This Grey Cup is going to be all kinds of awful. It's going to be one giant circle jerk to the shrine of Rider Nation and it's already making me sick. Burris and Austin aren't Ti-Cats, they're still former Rider QBs, and two of the top three that I've hated more than any other (Nealon Greene being the third, only because I was younger and the internet was relatively new and Nealon vs Khari was an actual argument Rider fans tried to make at the time). The only way I can possibly enjoy this game is for Smilin' Bank to be horrendous, for Austin to be badly outcoached and for the Riders to still somehow lose, preferably via a really, really stupid penalty.

I don't really have a point, I just needed to vent. 2013 was just the year from hell for Bomber fans, and this Sunday all of us in this handbasket shaped like IGF might just see the seventh level of it.

Noeller had a room mate back then who was a diehard rider fan and I remember quite clearly one night while we were all drunk this guy says with a straight face and in all seriousness that Nealon Greene is just as good as Khari Jones... The level of delusion amongst that fanbase, I also recall rider fans at some point trying to claim that Szarka was as good a FB as Mike Sellers. 

I am not looking forward to the week long circle jerk that's going to happen for "Canada's team" I hate Burris very much but I have no doubts that I'll be cheering hard for him by the weekend just because I'll be so sick of everything green.

Noeller had a room mate back then who was a diehard rider fan and I remember quite clearly one night while we were all drunk this guy says with a straight face and in all seriousness that Nealon Greene is just as good as Khari Jones... The level of delusion amongst that fanbase, I also recall rider fans at some point trying to claim that Szarka was as good a FB as Mike Sellers. 

I am not looking forward to the week long circle jerk that's going to happen for "Canada's team" I hate Burris very much but I have no doubts that I'll be cheering hard for him by the weekend just because I'll be so sick of everything green.

...To this day, you go down to the Flying Goose Inn, in LaFleche SK....they'll fight you, if you say otherwise.

I remember those days, and as stupid as the Khari vs Nealon and Szarka vs Sellers ones were, they did not hold a candle to the "Dominguez is way better than Stegall" arguments when it came to levels of stupidity. At least you could argue passport and relative importance of position for Szarka/Sellers. Arguing that Dominguez was better than Stegall was pure insanity.

I'm staying far, far away from TSN for the next 5 days. I wonder what the over/under will be on how many times they mention who held the ball for the winning field goal in the 1989 Grey Cup will be. Cause I'm guessing 9.5, and I'm taking the over.