Carter Getting His Shot Tonight

Carter had a solid game, which shows how talented some of the junior players are. Junior is less restrictive than CIS, so he is eligible to practise with the Bombers, and still play Rifles. The Bombers can protect him as a territorial pick, just like the Lions did with Andrew Harris a few years ago.

This is a win-win-win for the Bombers, the Rifles, and Carter.

Of course if the Bombers want him now, he's signed with them.

Carter had a solid game, which shows how talented some of the junior players are. Junior is less restrictive than CIS, so he is eligible to practise with the Bombers, and still play Rifles. The Bombers can protect him as a territorial pick, just like the Lions did with Andrew Harris a few years ago.

This is a win-win-win for the Bombers, the Rifles, and Carter.

Of course if the Bombers want him now, he's signed with them.

Agreed. Jermaine Gabriel proved that at the regional and main CIS combines. He has acquitted himself admirably in camp so far too. With Younger's surprise retirement and Matt Black stepping in at Safety, Gabriel may make the team as his backup.

BC's junior league is stacked. Where do you think the Bisons do the majority of their recruiting? ;)

Actually the PFC is much stronger than the BC junior league. Pfc teams have won 7 of the last 10 CJFL titles. The BC championships can be best described as the Andrew Harris years. A couple of BC teams do very well recruiting, but they have a bad reputation on fulfilment of promises. What the BC league has is great support from the Lions, and much lower operating costs due to much less travel.

The Bison do some recruiting in BC. It is there second biggest source of players, but it is way below the local number. IIRC the Bison had 44 Manitobans on their roster last year, and 11 from BC.

Actually the PFC is much stronger than the BC junior league. Pfc teams have won 7 of the last 10 CJFL titles. The BC championships can be best described as the Andrew Harris years. A couple of BC teams do very well recruiting, but they have a bad reputation on fulfilment of promises. What the BC league has is great support from the Lions, and much lower operating costs due to much less travel.

The Bison do some recruiting in BC. It is there second biggest source of players, but it is way below the local number. IIRC the Bison had 44 Manitobans on their roster last year, and 11 from BC.

You do realize that BC is on the west coast correct? Having 11 players playing in middle of Canada Manitoba is what i'd call some what heavy recruiting. In recent years we've started recruiting our own kids which is great, but there has always been big interest in recruiting in BC

The BC League is substantially better in overall talent than the PFC.  The PFC have the Hilltops and sometimes another team, recently the Colts.  I don't really take the Hilltops as an indicator of the overall strength of the league.

Worth noting too that many Manitobans who end up playing CIS take a trip out to play at least a couple of years of junior in BC.  It will be interesting to see if Karhut can repair the reputation of the Rifles and keep more of the top players in Manitoba.

The BC League is substantially better in overall talent than the PFC.  The PFC have the Hilltops and sometimes another team, recently the Colts.  I don't really take the Hilltops as an indicator of the overall strength of the league.

Worth noting too that many Manitobans who end up playing CIS take a trip out to play at least a couple of years of junior in BC.  It will be interesting to see if Karhut can repair the reputation of the Rifles and keep more of the top players in Manitoba.

If Karhut isn't into politics like his predecessors Normandeau & Graceffo playing favourites then maybe they'll win some games. There was lots of mistrust in that dressing room. There was talent too but not necessarily used the right way. 

The Okanagan Sun just signed some behemoth O-Lineman from Winnipeg, it was in the papers last month...

Wengelinski graduates from Vincent Massey High School Trojans in Winnipeg this spring. Ryan is the first player from that school to suit up for the Sun

The 6-foot-4, 325-pounder was the top offensive lineman for his club and a conference all-star in Manitoba this past season.

Ryan says that his experience at  Sun spring camp and the history of other players from Winnipeg in the Okanagan made his decision to travel 2,000 kilometres for football a relatively easy one.

“I wasn’t sure about playing here when I came to town, I really thought of it as just another recruiting visit. But after seeing camp, and how everything was run, how we were treated by the coaches, directors and other players…everyone made us feel really welcome,"  Wengelinski said. "It doesn’t hurt that Kelowna is one of the most beautiful places in Canada."

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/sports/208059761.html

Potential future Bomber?

I disagree with your opinion that the BC conference is stronger, but without an interlocking schedule, it is really tough to compare depth after the top. No question that Saskatoon has been dominant, and the club that everyone wants to compare to. Since 1947 (since play resumed after WW2), Saskatoon has 16 championships, Regina 15, Edmonton 8, Hamilton 5, Ottawa 4, nanaimo, Winnipeg, and Windsor have 3 each. Over 6 decades, the PFC teams have won over two-thirds of the time. Calgary finished ahead of Saskatoon in the regular season last year, so I would submit that the talent level in the PFC is not centred on one team.

I expect the Rifles under Karhut will do very well, especially with Ryan Marsh back at QB.

No question that players leaving is a concern, as the lure of living away from home is a draw for some players, and BC is the biggest lure in the country that way.

It's not about living away from home for most... It's about winning & the fact the Rifles are one of the worst run teams in junior football. The coaching under Normandeau & Graceffo played favourites. When Normandeau was fired & Graceffo came in, nothing changed other than the head coach was different but the assistants stayed virtually the same.The assistant coaches rewarded "their boys" with playing time & others who should have been playing sat on the bench. Word gets around it's not the team to play for so guys bail & go elsewhere. Now, if Karhut can turn that around & be fair there's talent to win. Winnipeg never lacked the talent, it was the other things going on. It's a brand new coaching staff so that's a great first move. I hope the guy succeeds.

I disagree with your opinion that the BC conference is stronger, but without an interlocking schedule, it is really tough to compare depth after the top. No question that Saskatoon has been dominant, and the club that everyone wants to compare to. Since 1947 (since play resumed after WW2), Saskatoon has 16 championships, Regina 15, Edmonton 8, Hamilton 5, Ottawa 4, nanaimo, Winnipeg, and Windsor have 3 each. Over 6 decades, the PFC teams have won over two-thirds of the time. Calgary finished ahead of Saskatoon in the regular season last year, so I would submit that the talent level in the PFC is not centred on one team.

I expect the Rifles under Karhut will do very well, especially with Ryan Marsh back at QB.

No question that players leaving is a concern, as the lure of living away from home is a draw for some players, and BC is the biggest lure in the country that way.

He went back to the Rifles? Seems like it was kind of a waste going to the Bisons.

Both Marsh & receiver Matt Lariviere are back with the Rifles after a year wasted with the Bisons. Both put up huge numbers with the Rifles 2 yrs ago. .

Ashame the Rifles had to go through last year, but the offense should be great again with those two plus Goodrich and Carter(if he isn't in the pros).

When Marsh left in 2012, there wasn't anyone to play qb at his level. They ether never recruited or if they did, never recruited well enough to take his place. They better have someone in the wings as this is the final season for Marsh. It's try to win big this season or go home empty next season.