Investors Group Field: By The Numbers

Original Story Here

5035739.jpg

Three years after the first shovels broke ground, Winnipeg's newest architectural attraction -- with its distinctive canopies and trusses -- is finally ready for some football. Via the Winnipeg Football Club, here are some facts and figures on the new $200-million, 33,422-seat Investors Group Field at the University of Manitoba, the new home to the CFL's Blue Bombers and the Bisons (CIS):

Canopies and trusses

- Amount of area, in acres, covered by the canopies

80 - The percentage of coverage the canopies provide from rain, snow and sun

200 - The weight, in tons, of the two arch trusses that hold up the canopies

60 and 190 - The height and span of the trusses, in metres, making them the largest and highest in Canada

88,000 and 9,000 - The number of bolts, and ton sof steel, used in their construction

46 - Number of luxury suites, each equipped with outdoor, theatre-style seats, TVs, mini- kitchen facilities, and private washrooms

50 - Percentage increase in leg room

258 - Number of TV monitors throughout the stadium and concourse

28 - Number of washrooms, split evenly between the two concourses and men and women

Eight feet long, eight feet wide, five feet deep - Size of players' hot tub, which features underwater treadmill and has the capacity for an underwater bike

Student Section 2.0 - While there isn't a student section, per se, the Bombers are operating under the premise that Sections 138-143 -- a chunk of discounted seating in the north end zone -- will carry the old attitudes and enthusiasm of Canad Inns Stadium's most celebrated section.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I will post it here anyways. I checked out the stadium yesterday while picking up my season tickets. My overall impressions? The place is fantastic. I can't wait to watch a game there with the place packed with fans. It feels massive and intimate at the same time. I was struck by the shear scale of the structure compared to Canad Inns (as if they were going to finish it last spring!).

There are some warts (shoddy concrete work in spots...perhaps weather related, some laughably bad obstructed seats, etc), but in my opinion those are minor issues on what is overall something we as Bomber fans are blessed to have been given.

Side note: that "cable" railing in the first row of the upper deck that is giving people grief? I sat there (5' 10"), and I will gladly trade anyone for my seats if they don't want them. The cable is not an issue in the slightest. If you sit back and slouch in your chair, it is in your field of view, but no worse than a hockey cage/mask would be. You can either just stare right through it, or literally shift an inch in your chair to see around it.

On the other side of the coin, there is a seat in the corner of the upper deck behind some plexi-glass abomination that has the most hilariously bad view you could imagine. You would need to pay me to sit in it.

Oh, and I spent about 45 minutes in the upper deck, and didn't notice the military-grade wind machine the Bombers supposedly installed up there. Much ado about nothing, I am thinking.

I expect it requires a rather specific prevailing wind direction for the afore-mentioned wind machine to function properly... and probably requires the stadium to be fairly empty

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I will post it here anyways. I checked out the stadium yesterday while picking up my season tickets. My overall impressions? The place is fantastic. I can't wait to watch a game there with the place packed with fans. It feels massive and intimate at the same time. I was struck by the shear scale of the structure compared to Canad Inns (as if they were going to finish it last spring!).

There are some warts (shoddy concrete work in spots...perhaps weather related, some laughably bad obstructed seats, etc), but in my opinion those are minor issues on what is overall something we as Bomber fans are blessed to have been given.

Side note: that "cable" railing in the first row of the upper deck that is giving people grief? I sat there (5' 10"), and I will gladly trade anyone for my seats if they don't want them. The cable is not an issue in the slightest. If you sit back and slouch in your chair, it is in your field of view, but no worse than a hockey cage/mask would be. You can either just stare right through it, or literally shift an inch in your chair to see around it.

On the other side of the coin, there is a seat in the corner of the upper deck behind some plexi-glass abomination that has the most hilariously bad view you could imagine. You would need to pay me to sit in it.

Very strong username to post content correlation.

If I remember correctly from when I went in to pick up my tickets, all the suites on the East side appear to be sold / accounted for.   I can only assume the West side (Bomber side of the field) is sold out as well.

that's going to be huge for their bottom line. it they do it right and keep those things sold out it will be a monetary bovine.

Those loge seats are awesome. They should publish a list of companies that own boxes/loges so I know where I should apply.

Manitoba Hydro,

Manitoba Public Insurance,

Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union

Manitoba Liquor Control Comission

Manitoba Lotteries Corporation

At least those are good guesses

Manitoba Hydro,

your tax dollars at work ;)

off principle? or is that the secured interest rate of the debt?

Interest rate on the stadium debt load is 4.65%

2.3% is how much tickets prices will go up each year IIRC, the Jets do the same, some hogwash about keeping up with inflation.

2.3% is how much tickets prices will go up each year IIRC, the Jets do the same, some hogwash about keeping up with inflation.

thanks for the clarification.

i was prepared to be stunned if the stadium debt interest was 2.3%...

so they've factored in an expected 2.3% hike on tickets each year? my inner-cynic (and my basic understanding of the law of supply and demand) believes that will be higher if the season ticket base stays at record levels.

Well the BoC does have a yearly 2% inflation target... other than the last couple years (as a result of the recession) they tend to be pretty good about hitting that target.

Manitoba Hydro,

More like bad guesses. Some will have season tickets but highly unlikely to have suites or loges.

Sorry, but is that 2.3% annual hike you're talking about on just the suites/loges or all seats at IGF?  I know Jim Bell stated parking prices wouldn't go up for a few years (we'll see) but I didn't hear anything about the season tickets.  As annoying as it is, it's not that surprising.  Price of my seats at Canad Inns went up a little every year.

Sorry, but is that 2.3% annual hike you're talking about on just the suites/loges or all seats at IGF?  I know Jim Bell stated parking prices wouldn't go up for a few years (we'll see) but I didn't hear anything about the season tickets.  As annoying as it is, it's not that surprising.  Price of my seats at Canad Inns went up a little every year.

I believe it's for all seats, but I could be wrong.