Main Camp - Day Eight Observations

I am out in Calgary and missing for the first time our Bomber camp.

The Stampeders our promoting their big June 9th Red & White game, you oldtimers will remember the Blue & Gold inter squad games.

It was a good promo. to bring your family out on a Sunday afternoon to see the Bombers. An inter squad game and picture taking after the game keeps the younger fans interested in the Bombers.

I'm at camp today. Seeing the stadium for only the second time wow it is spectacular. I've had an ear to ear grin since I walked into the place.

Chad Simpson could very well end up being the leagues top rb after this season. He is so quick and wirey, reminds me of Charles Roberts sometimes.

A lot of special teams work being done out here today too... didn't seem too much of the qbs today, but from what I did see it seems like clement holds onto the ball a tad too long... But again, it's been a very small sample size. Pierce has good zip on his throws

Ile keep the comments coming...

A couple of quick thoughts:

* Ford and Simpson looked great out of the backfield.  Great burst and quickness;  the few reps I caught where Vonly was involved demonstrated he was *noticeably* slower than the other two guys. 

* Defense got the better of Clement today and batted a few of his passes down.  Didn't really do much to distinguish himself.

* Renaud was easily the most consistent punter on the field.

* Etienne didn't look out of place when running with the first team offense though McGee, at one point, stripped a ball from him (good play on the defense) and I question how he (Etienne) might fair against more physical DBs.

A couple of quick thoughts:

* Ford and Simpson looked great out of the backfield.  Great burst and quickness;  the few reps I caught where Vonly was involved demonstrated he was *noticeably* slower than the other two guys. 

* Defense got the better of Clement today and batted a few of his passes down.  Didn't really do much to distinguish himself.

* Renaud was easily the most consistent punter on the field.

* Etienne didn't look out of place when running with the first team offense though McGee, at one point, stripped a ball from him (good play on the defense) and I question how he (Etienne) might fair against more physical DBs.

I was expecting to see more from Etienne.  There is no doubt that he has improved, but he's probably equivalent to Rory Kohlert now.  

Saw Fitz make a nice catch and shake off two tacklers. Looking forward to seeing him in game action. Thought Jade looked good too. Thought I saw him make a tough catch in traffic, not sure if it was the strip play that was mentioned earlier because I thought he held on. Best QB was tough to judge. Liked what I saw from Goltz and Clement seems to have 4th string locked down.

As for punters, Renaud had some long boots but man they are never pretty. Not nearly enough hang time on most. Pav (#79) had the nicest boot of the day, a high, long spiral that drew applause from those in attendance. Looks like e kind of guy Gold Donny would cut class with in high school, so I hope he gets a shot somewhere.

The new barn is a beauty and I can't wait to see it packed on a beautiful summer evening in peg city!

1st one on the field, Justin P trying FGs. Looked good 45 and in, but came short beyond that. The trend continues.

The punters were next, except Renaud to start. 78 & 79 out kicked Cameron on this day.

Renaud came out later and all the punters took turns looking good or bad, depending.

Directional punting was a challenge, both sides of the field. No determined winner there.

Overall, my take...Pav, in a close one.

Renaud will start....Pav and Cameron will be kept around. Hutchinson is worth working on, but I doubt we have the room.

Next, a general comment on the overall practise routine....way better than last year's routine, IMO. There were very few times you can see players being inactive ie. standing around. They had everybody moving around (running) from one area to another and the players knew what was expected of them. Different than last year. Kudos to the coaching staff for the organization of the workouts.

Actually, the coaches can be lauded for coaching, then explaining to individuals if necessary, what is wanted.

The atmosphere surrounding the practices is better, louder (from the players) and more intense. Good to see.

Especially liked the two passers, two receivers drill where 2 centres hike the ball at the same time and 2QBs alternate throwing to different receivers (while rotating all the QBs in and out)

They practiced breaking the huddle for punts and moved quickly with purpose. Good to see.

As to the QBs... Not enough visibility to comment, so I'll leave it at that.

Noticed: Parker, Ford, Simpson, Pav, Poblah, (size similarity Etienne and Adams) and for the first viewing....OMG, the stadium.....fantastic.