Patrick Watkins a no-show at Argo camp?

From my understanding it's a personal matter for him at home in Florida. Horne is injured and Younger might retire.

http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/84245

that.

Horne injured his calf training (he thinks 1 to 2 weeks). Younger is hanging up the cleats... i don't know who can/will step in there. That's a blow. At his age, he still had speed and athleticism, but his football IQ and reads are what always set JY apart.

From my understanding it's a personal matter for him at home in Florida. Horne is injured and Younger might retire.

Yikes. That'd be like losing Jovon, Hefney, and Stewart/Suber. That's got to hurt if the Arblows have to go with almost a brand-new secondary this year. So much for no turnover on that team....

that.

Horne injured his calf training (he thinks 1 to 2 weeks). Younger is hanging up the cleats... i don't know who can/will step in there. That's a blow. At his age, he still had speed and athleticism, but his football IQ and reads are what always set JY apart.

The Hot-dog muncher says that he doesn't know when Watkins is coming back. Yikes!!

that.

The Hot-dog muncher says that he doesn't know when Watkins is coming back. Yikes!!

well, i imagine that's because it's a "personal issue". how does he put a time-frame on it?

Mitchell looks and sounds happy though ( i know he's nuts and you can enjoy your lols at him... but you called him the best DT in the league last season on OB... even if he was only tied for second best, in truth)

well, i imagine that's because it's a "personal issue". how does he put a time-frame on it?

Oh I don't know. Perhaps Watkins would know and could tell him.

Mitchell looks and sounds happy though ( i know he's nuts and you can enjoy your lols at him... but you called him the best DT in the league last season on OB...even if he was only tied for second best, in truth

Yup I thought he was the best in 2011. Man was he good when he was sane. Last year, not so much. Especially after he went crazy. There were quite a few guys I thought had better years last year than Mitchell, and fewer arm whips too.

Oh I don't know. Perhaps Watkins would know and could tell him.

Mitchell looks and sounds happy though ( i know he's nuts and you can enjoy your lols at him... but you called him the best DT in the league last season on OB...even if he was only tied for second best, in truth

Yup I thought he was the best in 2011. Man was he good when he was sane. Last year, not so much. Especially after he went crazy. There were quite a few guys I thought had better years last year than Mitchell, and fewer arm whips too.

i'd guess that Barker asked Watkins when he thought he'd report. maybe Barker figures it's better to not publicize that in case he needs more time.

and i know i'm splitting hairs a bit here, but you called Mitchell the best during this offseason (after i had mentioned that the Argos were losing the best DT in the league to the NFL).

in any case, he joins a long line of nutcases that came to Toronto for a 2nd (3rd, 4th, lol) chance. he's only 28. and if Jones wants him, that's enough for me.

and i know i'm splitting hairs a bit here, but you called Mitchell the best during this offseason (after i had mentioned that the Argos were losing the best DT in the league to the NFL).

I might have said that before his trade and some of the Lion players went public with how disliked he was and what a locker room cancer he was. I lost a lot of respect for Mitchell after that arm-whip. Just so stupid. You mentioned that the best DT was going to the Patriots, but I assumed you meant Vega and not the Argo guy that went, whose name escapes me. That's how much of an impression he made on me I guess.

I might have said that before his trade and some of the Lion players went public with how disliked he was and what a locker room cancer he was. I lost a lot of respect for Mitchell after that arm-whip. Just so stupid. You mentioned that the best DT was going to the Patriots, but I assumed you meant Vega and not the Argo guy that went, whose name escapes me. That's how much of an impression he made on me I guess.

That player whose name escaped you was Armond Armstead who was signed to a 3 year deal worth almost $1.5 million with over $650,000 guaranteed (including his whole first year's salary and $250,000 in the second year). He was a CFL all-star last year as well. Vega was great but he's making no where near that for the Patriots.

That player whose name escaped you was Armond Armstead who was signed to a 3 year deal worth almost $1.5 million with over $650,000 guaranteed (including his whole first year's salary and $250,000 in the second year). He was a CFL all-star last year as well. Vega was great but he's making no where near that for the Patriots.

OK thanks!  Shows how much I care about players on the Argos - about zero.

So it looks like Younger has decided to retire now.  Guess I do pay some attention to Argo players after all!  Big blow to the Argo secondary.  And Doughnut Man didn't even know it was coming!

Like everyone else, he was shocked. The decision of Jordan Younger to retire blind-sided the entire Toronto Argonaut organization, but nobody would feel the impact of that move more than Matt Black.

The Toronto native, entering his fifth season in double blue, is now atop the depth chart at Younger's old position at starting safety. He's established himself as one of the best special teams players in the CFL, but has never started a game. If he gets the nod, he's ready.

"I prepare every year like I'm going to be the starter, I work my butt off", Black told TSN.ca. "I was excited when I heard the news for myself, sad for the team because we're losing great leader, a great veteran, a great friend, a knowledgeable guy that I loved learning from every year, but it's a part of the business."

Head coach Scott Milanovich is entering his second season with the Argos and has seen what Black's abilities are, on and off the field. He may be the 5'9" safety's biggest fan.

"I don't know what Matt's biggest attribute is; he's got a lot of great things going for him. He's athletic, he's tough, he's very intelligent, he's instinctive. The good thing about Matt being back there is the way we rotate (personnel) he played a lot last year. He's been a leader on this team for a while; I think Matt is going to be a natural fit there".

While it can't be underestimated how important it is to have the backing of the head coach, Black is more concerned about how he will be accepted as a starter by his teammates.

"It's more so winning the trust and respect of the guys around me because they trusted and relied on J.Y. When the bullets were flying he was the guy that organized people and barked orders and got guys lined up where they needed to be and I have to fill the void that he left".

Black is right, Younger's departure has left a void but there doesn't seem to be anyone involved with the organization that doesn't think he's the right man for the job.

Notes: Monday's practice was once again held at Holy Trinity Secondary School in Oakville ... During drills there were several different combinations of defensive backs as Pat Watkins and Pacino Horne were still out of action ... Black took first reps at safety with Bryan Payton seeing a lot of reps there as well ... The starting defensive line was Kevin Huntley and Khalif Mitchell at tackles with David Lee and Jeremy Geathers lined up at ends. The linebackers were the starters from a year ago, Robert McCune in the middle, flanked by Marcus Ball and Brandon Isaac ... Isaac is consistently the most vocal player at practice ... Left tackle Tony Washington didn't practice Monday, nor did centre Jeff Keeping. The first unit offensive line consisted of SirVincent Rogers and Chris Van Zeyl at tackles, Joel Reinders and Joe Eppele at guards. Wayne Smith moved over to center from guard ... If he continues to impress like he has going back to the first day of rookie camp, Quincy Hurst will be almost impossible to keep off the roster. He's been a standout every session ... Newly acquired receiver Romby Bryant also looked very good on Day Two ... A familiar face graced the sidelines for the second session of the morning. Donnavan Carter was the Argos' first-round draft pick in the 2000 draft. He played eight seasons in the league before entering the coaching ranks. He's about to enter his first season as the Defensive Coordinator for the OUA's Windsor Lancers after leaving a similar position with the University of Toronto Blues.