3 stars plus hh pre season part 2

wbbfan

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Thing with Piggy vs Strev....Piggy comes in way more polished and refined...people forget that Strev came to us with basically only 2 yrs of QB experience at the college level...Piggy has 3x that

Except Streveler actually started and played consistently.  Pigrome had one year as a partial starter, 2020 and last year at Towson.  Streveler threw a couple hundred more passes at USD in 2 seasons than Pigrome did at 4 schools in 7 seasons, both guys were used as gadget players in mediocre Big Ten programs.

This guy is raw as hell.  Nice to see what we've seen, but it's real early.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Except Streveler actually started and played consistently.  Pigrome had one year as a partial starter, 2020 and last year at Towson.  Streveler threw a couple hundred more passes at USD in 2 seasons than Pigrome did at 4 schools in 7 seasons, both guys were used as gadget players in mediocre Big Ten programs.

As raw as he is,  from what I saw he at least kept calm and didn't panic and clearly is a guy that doesn't drop the moment someone makes any sort of contact with him.     He looked far more composed and calm dealing with the bad snaps and pressure then Dru Brown did.  

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's been practicing Soley as a QB...for a long time...big diff...yeah wasn't a 2 yr starter...but was still getting reps...should Brown be tossed away from the last 3 yrs of no playing? Same thing...he still getting reps and working on his craft 

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Augustine has looked awful, and I’ve always been bullish on him. He might be past it, or nicked I just don’t know what’s up there. 

It’s much easier to be the over achieving back up with limited reps than the guy. Doesn’t seem banged up but could be.
He seems tentative for sure. bad tunnel vision when he’s on block and release assignments and on the toss he looked like he was trying to catch a truck. 

16 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Looks like Glenn, plays like Streveler! Kid has a bright future. 

The thing I really like about him for a young QB who has the tools to run he’s really poised. He’s looking down the field while finding time, not immediately putting his head down to run once he gets some pressure. That’s a really valuable gift. 

Hopefully he has bigger hands...lol...

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Props for some NoHo... Appreciated. 

I liked Hank until he turned on Christobal...then not so much.  But yeah, what a great character.

I really liked what I saw from Tpig...Piggy...Pigrome...hope we see a lot more over the years to come.  Very exciting player.  Sask D didn't know whether to poop or go blind when he was on the field.

16 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hard to believe people are so excited about a guy making a throw on a play that's totally pre-snap with no read.  He's putting that fade in there the whole way.  Nice throw, but pretty basic for a QB at this level.

The play that excited me was when Piggy was almost sacked, escaped the pocket, then trucked two Sask defenders and just kept running.  That was very Strevler-esque and had me out of my seat hollering YEAH BABY much like I did a lot in 2019 when Strevs was running wild.  Reminded me of that time Strevs destroyed that Sask LB Cam what's his name.  That kind of ability is not pretty basic, in any league.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It’s an interesting situation with him. He played some of the highest level hs football. Alabama state champion as a junior. Went to two state ships. Kicked around some big time colleges. He’s had a ton of high level coaching and practice.  He doesn’t have a ton of experience actually starting. Only 2 years at Towson. Strevy was a 2 year starter at sdu. 
having Buck as oc instead of plop is a big win for piggy.  

piggy is better at creating it’ll be fun to watch him develop and see how well he can run the offense. 

You almost expect a dynamic QB like Pigrome to show up in the CFL every few years, it's usually with a bottom-dweller like the Elks or the RedBlacks were they get thrust into starting too quickly, flame out rapidly and are bypassed by the next inexperienced QB charged with the hopeless task of turning around a losing season.  Piggy is lucky he landed in the right spot and will be managed carefully.

Edited by Fatty Liver

29 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

You almost expect a dynamic QB like Pigrome to show up in the CFL every few years, it's usually with a bottom-dweller like the Elks or the RedBlacks were they are thrust into starting too quickly, flame out rapidly and are bypassed by the next inexperienced QB charged with the hopeless task of turning around a losing season.  Piggy is lucky he landed in the right spot and will be managed carefully.

Like Caleb Evans who is now a career backup.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

As raw as he is,  from what I saw he at least kept calm and didn't panic and clearly is a guy that doesn't drop the moment someone makes any sort of contact with him.     He looked far more composed and calm dealing with the bad snaps and pressure then Dru Brown did.  

Again, he kept calm against guys who will be working at Dairy Queen on Monday.

We've seen Dru Brown have success in real games against a team's starting Defence. It's not the same thing.

Edit: And I hate sitting here feeling the need to dump on Piggy's performance, because I loved watching him and he looked great. I think he's going to be really successful for us - in the 3rd down role. But people go way overboard and make it impossible to go along with.

Edited by Jesse
clarification

31 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We've seen Dru Brown have success in real games against a team's starting Defence. It's not the same thing.

Edit: And I hate sitting here feeling the need to dump on Piggy's performance, because I loved watching him and he looked great. I think he's going to be really successful for us - in the 3rd down role. But people go way overboard and make it impossible to go along with.

But Dru Brown was playing against the same ham'n'eggers that Saskatchewan lined up against  Piggy and was not staying cool and making erractic throws and decisions.   Piggy also has yet to play in real game action surrounded by real full time starters to help him.   He was doing this with a an oline that wasn't doing great and getting bad snaps. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

But Dru Brown was playing against the same ham'n'eggers that Saskatchewan lined up against  Piggy and was not staying cool and making erractic throws and decisions.   Piggy also has yet to play in real game action surrounded by real full time starters to help him.   He was doing this with a an oline that wasn't doing great and getting bad snaps. 

Ham n eggers is Rider Fans lingo.  Not needed here.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Like I said, I expect Piggy to do pretty well in a 3rd down short yardage role. 

But his run first mentality against lesser competition at the tail end of preseason games has proved absolutely nothing so far in terms of his ability as a starting QB.

Also Dru - at least to start - was playing against the Riders starting D. Certainly not the deep cuts that Piggy played against.

There's no reason to even make it Brown vs Pigrome.  Pigrome is going to play a bunch with the run/short-yardage set.

Brown is Collaros backup, the guy practicing to run that offense if needed.

If it comes down to it and one of them needs to start, there will be a lot more information available to make that decision in terms of who is the better option at that time.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Pigrome is 25 & not 22 so I think he has more maturity because of his age than some raw rookie qb prospect who typically comes up here show all kinds of promise only to panic on the field forgetting all they were taught & fail. I really think he may be our qb of the future. Not Dru Brown. Who never really shines. He just plays & it's always just okay. 

Pig I really like. He adds another dimension to the quarterback game. The game moves faster with him in and he seems to be able to make mostly the right decisions.hWith him involved it is a defensive coordinator nightmare of who to send and when. The RPO absolutely freezes linebackers and as long as he can keep making those right quick decisions something good and positive yardage will happen. I’m going to be excited to see what he can do in live action during a regular season game. He may not yet be the second coming of a Doug Flutie, but I’m betting he will be close. It’s going to be an exciting time following his journey, I’m betting on the Pig!

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pigrome is 25 & not 22 so I think he has more maturity because of his age than some raw rookie qb prospect who typically comes up here show all kinds of promise only to panic on the field forgetting all they were taught & fail. I really think he may be our qb of the future. Not Dru Brown. Who never really shines. He just plays & it's always just okay. 

I mean, he did have a 300 yard, 3 TD game in his first and only start. Threw a 65 yard TD the week before.

Some selective memories happening with new hotness in town.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I actually thought Brown was doing OK in the game too. He's just less electrifying. Nothing wrong with that, just a different player.

Right. He doesn't have the mobility that Piggy has. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I actually thought Brown was doing OK in the game too. He's just less electrifying. Nothing wrong with that, just a different player.

When has Brown stood out in a game & made a statement with his play saying that "I'm The Next One?" I'm still waiting to see it. If Pigrome keeps improving, look out... I like the fact that he has a very good qb coach to work with him as well as Zach Collaros in the QB Meeting Room. I'm hoping he's one of these AQmerican qbs who come up here & gets it quickly like Collaros did when he was an Argo rookie, Doug Flutie as a rookie in BC, Jeff Garcia Dave Dickenson in Calgary, Ricky Ray, Damon Allen, Matt Dunigan & Tracy Ham in Edmonton. What a treat that would be. 

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I mean, he did have a 300 yard, 3 TD game in his first and only start. Threw a 65 yard TD the week before.

Some selective memories happening with new hotness in town.

Right. He doesn't have the mobility that Piggy has. 

Very few have the mobility that Piggy has. That's what makes it so exciting. And it still seems to me that he wants to throw the ball too. Will be interesting how he develops.

Dru Brown is far from immobile. He had some very good scrambling ability. It's just that the couple times he broke contain he chose to force a throw rather than pick up yardage with his feet, which he very much could have. In a meaningful game he may have. I don't think that was Dru's best game, but some of it was just circumstance. However, I would like to see Dru be a bit more aggressive. He was playing that game without risk.

Edited by BBlink