3 stars plus hh first pre season game

wbbfan

1 pigrome looks like we have our short yardage / option package qb and with some up side as a passer  

2 Darby. Made lots of plays looks as good as ever 

3 Thomas the nose tackle we’ve missed since stove left finished really strong 

hh  lawler with the big td catch early when the first team offense was in a funk 

couple other guys had real good games, couple looked like they played them self off the team. 

3 stars is tough but I’ll go Good, Bad and Ugly

Good - Pigrome, Lawler, Caleb Thomas, Holm, Swaray, Damien Jackson, the kicking in general, Jeremy Murphy

Bad - Augustine, Clements, our QB contain efforts on Ford, Kornelson, the drops by Beaulieu/Westfield, most of our new DL guys

Ugly - Matt Cole fielding kicks, Les Maruo trying to tackle anything, Josh Jones, Dobson snapping the football

Really liked Parker's game tonight.  Stuck his nose in to stop the run a bunch when the linebackers were very passive and not flowing to the ball at all in the first half.

Great in coverage too and sealing up to prevent YAC.

Jake Kelly with the hit of the game and great work as wide contain on punt cover all night.  Can see where he slots in Day 1.

Jackson played at least 3 positions and every special team.  You think you dress that guy, he can take reps on DL for sure, he can come in as your tight end to do some blocking, could be your 7th OL if you ever needed the guy to fill in, long snaps although with the amount of stuff you have him doing maybe he's not the primary guy there either.  But is he good enough at any of these roles to bring enough value?

This is going to sound weird but Pigrome reminded me of Kevin Glenn when in short yardage situations. They both are 5'10" and around 200 pounds. IIRC Glenn was actually pretty good at short yardage because he ran it so technically well. He could hide himself behind the line and pick his spots. I see the same with Pigrome. But Pigrome can clearly run. Being only 5'10" can allow you to get to the line of scrimmage before someone even sees you. And if there's open field (as we witnessed today) then goodbye.

Just now, BBlink said:

This is going to sound weird but Pigrome reminded me of Kevin Glenn when in short yardage situations. They both are 5'10" and around 200 pounds. IIRC Glenn was actually pretty good at short yardage because he ran it so technically well. He could hide himself behind the line and pick his spots. I see the same with Pigrome. But Pigrome can clearly run. Being only 5'10" can allow you to get to the line of scrimmage before someone even sees you. And if there's open field (as we witnessed today) then goodbye.

Yeah Pigrome ran the short-yardage more off-guard/tackle though other than the goal-line plunge.  The first one was 3rd and more than 2 and he veered right and got almost 6.

Really nice to see Bolo and Murphy have good games. But it's probably not good for any of the American receivers trying to get a roster spot.

Overall it kind of sucked that the Elks drained the clock like they did. Because it probably means the 2nd game will be used much more for evaluation of our offensive players than it maybe would have. That said, our veterans don't really need the reps.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

That’s what he said.

Doug Brown said an even better reason IMO - if a starter gets dinged up there is not much recovery time. 

Edmonton has two weeks to make cuts and practice as a team. 

We have to make cuts and be into the season opener game plan by Sunday. 

Seems fair 

Give the rooks a chance in front of more than family and friends 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

On the big td run I said right there that he earned the 3rd spot . That acceleration was obscene. Just hits the jets and no one was going to catch him. What a weapon. Looked like a kick returner hitting the hole and blowing by everyone.

Agreed. Don’t remember that kind of breakaway speed on a CFL QB. 

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

On the big td run I said right there that he earned the 3rd spot . That acceleration was obscene. Just hits the jets and no one was going to catch him. What a weapon. Looked like a kick returner hitting the hole and blowing by everyone.

Yeah there are guys who can run and then there's guys who can go the same speed but with shorter steps. Allows to avoid would-be tacklers. Piggy looks like a real problem for defenses especially if he can continue to show that he can pass.

Reminded me of that first time we saw Lucky's speed. Where it was just like wtf

Edited by BBlink