Coming to a Bombers game....

Wilbur

....this season is a big goal of mine. Looking at my schedule when school starts back down here, the best time for me to come to Winnipeg is when we play at home versus Montreal on August 24th. Just in general if I can make this happen(Fingers crossed nothing comes up!) what are the things a first timer must do on gameday? Sites in the city itself? Best restaurants? Etc. Thank you!

The stadium is on the University of Manitoba campus here in the city.   It is a bit of a distance in terms of bars and things close by.   The Bombers do host a tail gating party prior to kickoff.   https://www.bluebombers.com/pre-game-tailgating/

Many Bomber fans will tail gate in the parking lots as well prior to the game.   I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions in terms of restaurants to check out in the city.   How long do you think you will come up for and what sorts of things do you like doing?  Might help narrow things down a bit.

Can also checkout this site to see what might be of interest https://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/

First off, where are you from?

What kind of food do you like?

- Feast Bistro

-Cibo Cafe 

-Sous Sol

-Tons of MIcro Breweries...

as for spots...

-Canadian Human Rights Museum.

-Shop and dine @ the Forks

-Try and book a tour at the Canadian Mint

But realistically- if you are just keeping it in Winnipeg you are seriously missing out... So much to do outside of Winnipeg. 

-Clear lake

-Riding National Park

-Gimili for some Icelandic experiences

Various beaches

-various fishing places.

-Hecla is awesome....

I guess it depends on how much time you are spending here. 

I strongly suggest taking advantage of what ever park and ride will be closest to your in road. 
 Get on one of the first buses, enjoy the tail gate, and get your main food early. The best bet for food mid game is one of the general kiosks or area specific stands. 
 Bomber store is a hot mess all day, I suggest ordering stuff on line and skipping it in person. Also if you can make it work get down to fan appreciation day. It’s well worth it. Autograph lines are long but it’s great. 

lots of great places to eat out side of stadium in each area of town. If you are gonna come in early and eat a bunch of guys on here can give good advice on where to eat. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Curious what it is makes you say that. I can't recall having tried them but always curious the why people don't care for certain things.

There’s a good red ale at Stone Angel that I enjoy. Only been there one time, but I remember finding a couple decent ones.

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They do more british type beers right? I mean I get that it's not everyones idea of beer but dammit there is a severe lack of british styles out there these days. Not everyone wants whatever german lager or super hoppy IPA or whatever other trends there are. 

Just give me a decent bitter and let me enjoy it. 

I think "Irish Paul" rubs some people the wrong way, but trust me when I say he is exactly your kind of person...... he's a character and a half. And yes, they make some really traditional Euro-style beers. It's one that I'm most interested in getting you to try..... them and Barn Hammer. 

Forks is a must. I'd recommend taking a trip on the water bus thing. Very cool. Shows several historical sort of spots along the river. I haven't been but Cdn museum of human rights is there, goldeyes baseball at shaw Park on waterfront drive. 

I think a trip to bronuts or oh doughnuts should be a thing. PM Trudeau gets oh doughnuts when here lol. 

Restaurants? My favorites are in the exchange and on waterfront ( winnipeg has several high quality excellent local restaurants) 

Perhaps Deer n Almond is our best but there's several in the area there that are amazing places 

Ofcourse our world famous Assiniboine Park Zoo and new sweet looking indoor Gardens is pretty cool too ( The Leaf) 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Curious what it is makes you say that. I can't recall having tried them but always curious the why people don't care for certain things.

Noeller is going to call it “issues with the ownership”, but I’m going to call it “I find their hygiene practices absolutely gross and I don’t much care for an owner who gets drunk and berates customers”

If you want a beer that hasn’t been treated comparably to a burger scraped off the bathroom floor at McDonalds, I’d recommend going to Brazen Hall (great food as well), the Forks or Sookram’s (my personal recommendation) if you’re looking for a spot somewhat on the way to the stadium. Devil May Care by the Forks is also sort of close to Pembina, I suppose, and they do cool stuff too. 

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Best restaurant on the water front with a good local beer selection?? 

Cibo and the Pump House, although Cibo has been known to struggle with dirty tap lines. I love their food though.

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

Noeller is going to call it “issues with the ownership”, but I’m going to call it “I find their hygiene practices absolutely gross and I don’t much care for an owner who gets drunk and berates customers”

If you want a beer that hasn’t been treated comparably to a burger scraped off the bathroom floor at McDonalds, I’d recommend going to Brazen Hall (great food as well), the Forks or Sookram’s (my personal recommendation) if you’re looking for a spot somewhat on the way to the stadium. Devil May Care by the Forks is also sort of close to Pembina, I suppose, and they do cool stuff too. 

Cibo and the Pump House, although Cibo has been known to struggle with dirty tap lines. I love their food though.

also, any word on a Kilterpalooza for the 5th bday on the June 9/10 weekend? Last year was a solid time for the 4th.....

Just now, Geebrr said:

The Pump House is a cool spot. 

The Commons is a great place to grab a beer - I wish it was bigger 

Common at the Forks is one of our fave spots to stop at any time of year... all this love for Pump House has got me intrigued. Will definitely visit this summer. 

23 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I have lived in the area for years but never tried Low Life Barrel  House. 

I want to give it a whirl. 

the place we crash at when we're in town for games is about 8 minutes south of that (says Google) so that's definitely going to be a pit stop in a couple weeks. I thought I knew about every brewery/taproom in the city, but new stuff keeps popping up....