CFL - Pre-Season - All Your Non-Bomber News/Talk - 2023

JCon

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair, but points scored wouldn't be the determining factor in that. Passing yards/tds would be.

The 3rd string QB also had a high amount of QB sneaks in for TD's.   Who knows on those specific drives if they made their way down the field with passing plays up until the goal line and then plunged it in.    

Getting back to the original point BLM isn't a guy who cracks under pressure.   Nowdays that isn't even a big factor for him,  physically his body has deteriorated and is a way higher liability.  

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Fair, but points scored wouldn't be the determining factor in that. Passing yards/tds would be.

Depends on who and when you ask. Before the gcs it widely considered on here that our offense was great with low passing yards high 2 and outs etc by way of having high total points including fgs etc. 

The truth is extrapolation of offense to a further our point based on much worse field positions from less turn overs, a worse kicking game, or a worse running game, etc just doesn’t work. It’s like when the rider fans would say Kenton Keith was better than blink because he had more ypc and at his ypc with blinks touches he’d have more yards. 
 We can’t know what would happen in the situations and how much tertiary values are worth. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

The 3rd string QB also had a high amount of QB sneaks in for TD's.   Who knows on those specific drives if they made their way down the field with passing plays up until the goal line and then plunged it in.    

Getting back to the original point BLM isn't a guy who cracks under pressure.   Nowdays that isn't even a big factor for him,  physically his body has deteriorated and is a way higher liability.  

Agree with all that. I think he may be facing a bit of cognitive dissonance in his deterioration though. He certainly still thinks he’s the same guy who barley lost any games during his first few years. And that could make him look like he just can’t pull it off in the clutch any more when in reality he’s about as clutch as ever he’s just diminished over all. 

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Depends on who and when you ask. Before the gcs it widely considered on here that our offense was great with low passing yards high 2 and outs etc by way of having high total points including fgs etc. 

The truth is extrapolation of offense to a further our point based on much worse field positions from less turn overs, a worse kicking game, or a worse running game, etc just doesn’t work. It’s like when the rider fans would say Kenton Keith was better than blink because he had more ypc and at his ypc with blinks touches he’d have more yards. 
 We can’t know what would happen in the situations and how much tertiary values are worth. 

Agree with all that. I think he may be facing a bit of cognitive dissonance in his deterioration though. He certainly still thinks he’s the same guy who barley lost any games during his first few years. And that could make him look like he just can’t pull it off in the clutch any more when in reality he’s about as clutch as ever he’s just diminished over all. 

The older I get, the better I was.

Calgary had a decent offence last year. Yes, they had benefit of a pretty friendly schedule that allowed them to beat up on the divisions weak sisters at the time they were the weakest. However, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you get points, every team will do it differently based on how their roster is built. Calgary had Carey and they rode him hard....as they should have. 

BLM was average last year, and that is all they needed him to be. He is clearly not in the MOP conversation anymore, but he can still provide reliable QBing and does know how to win still. Will he be great for Hamilton? Doubtful. Will be bring confidence and swagger to their group. I think so. Will he fold like a lawn chair...nope. Is he good enough to lead the TiCats to a Grey Cup victory....hard to say....probably gives them a better chance than Dane Evans though.

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Fair again, but throughout the year when Carry wasn't effective, their O wasn't effective. Obviously that's the case for a lotcof offensives. I'm simply saying their passing game was the weakest part of their Offense by a large margin. And likely will be this year as well.

Legitimately every QB folds under pressure, except for a few rare ones. If you can hit Bo early, he gets the yips for the rest of the game. Even if you only bring 3. That may not have always been the case. But it has been since late 2019.

Edited by Bigblue204

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

imagine coming to the Bombers fan board and bending over backwards to defend the ******* Stumps........Jesus Christ. 

So you would rather it be like riderfans.com then with everyone having an extremely bias take?      I was not aware that everyone is suppose to agree and not give an opinion that may differ. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair again, but throughout the year when Carry wasn't effective, their O wasn't effective. Obviously that's the case for a lotcof offensives. I'm simply saying their passing game was the weakest part of their Offense by a large margin. And likely will be this year as well.

Legitimately every QB folds under pressure, except for a few rare ones. If you can hit Bo early, he gets the yips for the rest of the game. Even if you only bring 3. That may not have always been the case. But it has been since late 2019.

Honestly the first half when our run game struggled a lot our offense under achieved in general as well. If Brady ran in the first half like he ran in the 2nd half we would have been top by 100 more points. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly the first half when our run game struggled a lot our offense under achieved in general as well. If Brady ran in the first half like he ran in the 2nd half we would have been top by 100 more points. 

100% there were a few games throughout the year where Buck would move away from the run game and the results weren't good.

3 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

To be fair though... 3 points out of first... you could just make it a three team top tier.... Blue Bombers/BC/Stumps and then everyone else...

@Brandon makes a good point- stumps did not suck on offense, at all.

This isn't a fair comparison though, the Bombers only got to play the Elks twice 🤣

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I looked at the standings ,  I guess those factor in the other types of scores.   Either way   CGY did not struggle on offense which was the main point.  

The main point is that whoever said that Calgary had a struggling offense outside of Carey was clearly incorrect.  

They scored 7 touchdowns off fumble recoveries and pick sixes alone, so that's where the big difference is (we only had 2).

While I myself wouldn't say they struggled outside of Carey, they certainly didn't light it up through the air either.  They finished with 144 points from passing plays (tied with Montreal for 4th place).  That left them a whopping 120 points behind Winnipeg's 264 in that category.

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

All the standings show is points for and against irrespective of how they are tallied (offense, defense, special teams). 

This site shows a comprehensive breakdown: https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?lg=CFL&yr=2022&type=reg&cat=S&group=O&conf=&sort=tottd

The Bombers had the most overall TDs (63), the most TDs on offense (58), and the most passing TDs (44). The Stampeders had the most rushing TDs (24).

Kadeem Carey could be a monster when he got going. 

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

They scored 7 touchdowns off fumble recoveries and pick sixes alone, so that's where the big difference is (we only had 2).

While I myself wouldn't say they struggled outside of Carey, they certainly didn't light it up through the air either.  They finished with 144 points from passing plays (tied with Montreal for 4th place).  That left them a whopping 120 points behind Winnipeg's 264 in that category.

dennis weaver mccloud there ya go Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Apparently Lofton was with the 1s on the Rider Oline yesterday. Was he not a total pylon in that game for us or am I thinking of somebody else?

He was a total pylon at tackle in preseason twice and in the regular season. He could be better as a guard but man I wouldn’t want that guy starting for us at T under any circumstance. 

18 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Apparently Lofton was with the 1s on the Rider Oline yesterday. Was he not a total pylon in that game for us or am I thinking of somebody else?

If by pylon you mean rarely played and sat on the PR, and wasn't even our best IMP OT on the PR....then yeah. If you mean playing? No...he wasn't a pylon for us...he was a pylon with the ALs I believe.

Edited by GCn20

23 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Calgary had a decent offence last year. Yes, they had benefit of a pretty friendly schedule that allowed them to beat up on the divisions weak sisters at the time they were the weakest. However, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you get points, every team will do it differently based on how their roster is built. Calgary had Carey and they rode him hard....as they should have. 

BLM was average last year, and that is all they needed him to be. He is clearly not in the MOP conversation anymore, but he can still provide reliable QBing and does know how to win still. Will he be great for Hamilton? Doubtful. Will be bring confidence and swagger to their group. I think so. Will he fold like a lawn chair...nope. Is he good enough to lead the TiCats to a Grey Cup victory....hard to say....probably gives them a better chance than Dane Evans though.

BLM was not Calgary’s starter for most of last season.

He really hasn’t played a full season since 2018.

17 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Must be thinking of someone else, he was solid in the game against the Lions, nobody got by him.

He was OK....nothing special...we did use our RB quite a bit that game to help him out.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

BLM was not Calgary’s starter for most of last season.

He really hasn’t played a full season since 2018.

I know he was not starter for most of their season and I realize he has not played a full season since 2018....yet I would still rather have him then Evans.

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He was a total pylon at tackle in preseason twice and in the regular season. He could be better as a guard but man I wouldn’t want that guy starting for us at T under any circumstance. 

He is a veteran journeyman that is best suited to emergency backup status. He's passable...but not particularly good.

35 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

REDBLACKS release LB Patrick Levels - CFL.ca

Seems like a surprising move. He's a beast. Would love to see him in Blue and Gold.

This is pretty surprising. I would love to hear why they released him before adding him to my wish list though. 

53 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

REDBLACKS release LB Patrick Levels - CFL.ca

Seems like a surprising move. He's a beast. Would love to see him in Blue and Gold.

He'd have to prove his intelligence has increased over the past 18 months for me to want him here! 😂

https://3downnation.com/2021/11/05/patrick-levels-thinks-montreal-is-a-better-team-than-winnipeg/

32 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Bo Levi played well replacing whats his name in their last game last season. pretty good comeback.

other than that, I think he is no longer very accurate.

smart though. 

Yeah his brain is his best asset right now. Problem is, he plays as if he can make all the throws he used to, and the results show that he can not. 

There was a clip online of him working out with Collaros and some recs. And his footwork was awful compared to Collaros. And this isn't a blue goggles thing, he was just sloppy. Now that's something that can change obviously. But I was surprised at how bad it looked....I should note, that he was still hitting rec. in stride.

45 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Bo Levi played well replacing whats his name in their last game last season. pretty good comeback.

other than that, I think he is no longer very accurate.

smart though. 

He's going to need all the smarts he can muster to succeed in Hamilton. Other than Tim White their receiving corps is currently a fart noise. They really were left without a chair when the FA WR music stopped this offseason.