Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

If Schmekel does get in they need to coach him up on how to take on the double team on the inside zone if he’s playing nose.  In U Sports he probably just splits it, but against better players he’s going to have to just eat the blocks and make a pile so the OL can’t get up to the backers.

He was getting moved all over the field in both games and our defense was giving up like 8 yards a carry when he was out there.

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

No, not every other club has picked up gems in the off-season. 

This D tackle guy for Montreal in the preseason game looked like a game wrecker. signed March 2023.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/players/israel-antwine/167729/

It's good to discuss, but 

overall, It's pretty hard, given the results, to criticize the Bombers approach. to anything really.

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Here you come with your regularly scheduled arguing of things no one is saying

Says the guy complaining that the team cannot scout ,  defense is aging out,  and making it seem like the team is just ignoring the few holes we have and is sitting doing nothing.  I guess I shouldn't of been kind and said "everyone" when I should of said "grumpy Mike complaining about the sky is falling".   

15 hours ago, Mike said:

The problem is we appear to be banking on our impact defensive players to gain the ability to play MORE as they age through their 30s. That doesn’t seem like a safe bet to be making.

Our offense looks scary good but honestly, our front seven rotation looks really ugly to me on paper this year. You’re not going to convince me that Ricky Walker and Jake Thomas is the combination that is all of a sudden going to let Jefferson/Jeffcoat run wild.

I can't disagree with that assessment. I'm disappointed with that aspect of our recruitment of free agents. |I thought filling the interior of the DL would be a priority. We never signed any free agents & Kongbo signing in BC was a kick in the groin.  

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can't disagree with that assessment. I'm disappointed with that aspect of our recruitment of free agents. |I thought filling the interior of the DL would be a priority. We never signed any free agents & Kongbo signing in BC was a kick in the groin.  

With Kongbo, it was probably a matter of $. He will be missed but I am cautiously optimistic about our d-line, but not about our linebackers. I really hope Wade comes through- he looks to have a load of potential but the CFL game has so much motion that its easy for newbies to get confusicated.

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

With Kongbo, it was probably a matter of $. He will be missed but I am cautiously optimistic about our d-line, but not about our linebackers. I really hope Wade comes through- he looks to have a load of potential but the CFL game has so much motion that its easy for newbies to get confusicated.

Wade was released. Apple Road Map. Why was he released? Cuz if you watched him at all, he did nothing. It wasn't the motion, he did nothing on his own. Put him in the Duane Slay MBB training camp heros and studs who ended up being zeros and duds. 

Whether it's the tude the gaf level or just aren't good enough,  lots of these hyped guys fizzle out quick. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah he already ****** off once.

Plus he's an aging vet. Weird last few pages. 

Going off on some vets and I'll be honest, I have concerns definitely about bighill and the Jeff's... but Shawn lemon? Lol. What. Why lol

Couldn't you put a guy like Dobson or Eli as a DT  lol 

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Wade was released. Apple Road Map. Why was he released? Cuz if you watched him at all, he did nothing. It wasn't the motion, he did nothing on his own. Put him in the Duane Slay MBB training camp heros and studs who ended up being zeros and duds. 

Whether it's the tude the gaf level or just aren't good enough,  lots of these hyped guys fizzle out quick. 

Linebackers should have the easiest time standing out too.  Heat seeking missile.  Show that you have those instincts that always have you near the ball and making plays, we’ll refine those instincts into a pro player.  Was sad to see that position group including Wade get dummied both games.  Gauthier had some nice plays and Cadwallader is always near the ball.

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

No, not every other club has picked up gems in the off-season. 
DT in particular is a position that has gotten progressively worse since November 2019. 

They let Nevis and Stove walk, replaced them with Sayles and now Walker, who aren’t bad by any stretch but certainly downgrades. 
Now they’ve let Sayles walk and replaced him with…Tanner Shmeckel

It’s mildly concerning. 

He's not Sayles replacement..why people think that is almost laughable...and this roster now...and what it will be game 1 will prob have a lot of shuffling...and who.knows...a new face may show up

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

I would say I’m a little disappointed with our upgrades (or lack thereof) at LB and DL… I suppose if C Thomas, Haba, and Bennett end up being legit players, that helps the DL a lot… but going into the season with a LB core of old Bighill, always injured Wilson, uninspiring Clements, and most unknown Cole is underwhelming… hopefully Clements and/or Cole make some major steps this year as both are still relatively young (both 26)

So in your scenario, the day 1 starting DL is the Jeff’s, Thomas and Schmeckel?…Why do you keep saying that Schmeckel is the replacement for Sayles?… when it’s very clearly Walker… and if for some reason you’re assuming we are replacing him with a Canadian, then it would be Lawson… I can’t see Schmeckel making the active roster, never mind being a starter 

Exactly...Lawson will be a stud for us..he's a load in the middle and disruptive...last yr from mid season on...our ends situation I feel is worse than now...Haha will impress ..I see it in his style ..and Hansen will be back sooner than later...and who knows...with full compliment of starters Bennet may impress...he is likely an upgrade of the dude we signed off Sask scrap heap...has more upside if anything 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Cole has had his ups and downs so far but Clements has shown only occasional bits of competence, so I am losing confidence in him.

Cole has crazy sideline to sideline range...I think if given true shot to backup Wilson he will be fine..but u know this regime is always looking...I'd even give Karokoma or whatever his name is some reps there...like that kid

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah he already ****** off once.

If Lemon comes here for a year & helps us, then why not? The guy has no loyalty to anyone. But then, what team truly has loyalty to their players? Every team will replace a long term serving vet for someone cheaper in the snap of the fingers. He'll sign his customary 1 year deal & then probably **** off like he always does. One year deals should be abolished. Besides, who cares about next year? It's this year we all care about & we need a guy like him desperately. 

50 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Linebackers should have the easiest time standing out too.  Heat seeking missile.  Show that you have those instincts that always have you near the ball and making plays, we’ll refine those instincts into a pro player.  Was sad to see that position group including Wade get dummied both games.  Gauthier had some nice plays and Cadwallader is always near the ball.

I remember when a stud named Kyle Knox couldn't displace Sam Hurl as the MLB, it had little to do with the physical tools he possessed, he just wasn't smart enough to understand the playbook.

30 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm sure someone else has already mentioned this but glad to see the Navy Seal is hanging around and didn't get the road map and apple.  

I don't know. I feel like we could make better use of the practice roster than 3 guys in their 30s.

I knew MOS would find a way to keep him around, but not loving the roster management part of some of these decisions.

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't know. I feel like we could make better use of the practice roster than 3 guys in their 30s.

I knew MOS would find a way to keep him around, but not loving the roster management part of some of these decisions.

I'm generally not worried about the PR but I don't really see how Damian Jackson makes the active roster given we have 1 DI for a kicker and 1 for returner. That leaves 2 DIs which just about have to be on defense.

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

So skimming here... we are upset because we don't have many new names replacing known players?  Why? 

Crapping on the team because they didn't unearth a hidden gem for the d-line?  So does every other club easily pick up hidden gems in every off season?  

Concerned about 30+ year olds... so we should cut Zach because of age?   

With all the worries about the d-line and lb crew... are we not allowed to recruit guys come NFL cut day or even before? 

Do you remember the down fall of the team in the years following the 2001 season? It’s all the same signs. That’s why. 

cutting guys who did every thing you could ask of them is a waste: 

tc is the biggest opportunity to get guys up to speed fast. You know how rare it is for an imp lber or de to come in as a rookie mid season and be turn key after nfl cuts? The guys who have been available for the last few weeks are the same guys that are available up until the nfl cut down day. 

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I like the Thomas+Lawson+Walker DT rotation, although I'd like to see Caleb Thomas get in. Bennett and Haba behind the Jeffs concerns me, although hoping both surprise. Would love to see a vet DE like Lemon brought in. As for WIL, start airlifting Walters.

Problem is that same rotation with sayles who was the best of the bunch last year and who is now gone, wasn’t good enough. Guys like Thomas biggie etc aren’t getting any better. 

17 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I'm generally not worried about the PR but I don't really see how Damian Jackson makes the active roster given we have 1 DI for a kicker and 1 for returner. That leaves 2 DIs which just about have to be on defense.

Maybe as a back up de. Though we have completely wasted di spots in the past. So using one on a purely sts and goal line guy isn’t a stretch. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm sure someone else has already mentioned this but glad to see the Navy Seal is hanging around and didn't get the road map and apple.  

I'm not sure O'Shea would have kept him around with that backstory, in fact I doubt he would have even invited him to TC.

42 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I think he could be useful on the DL.  He has the build and skills to play both end and 3 technique.  Just kind of a motor guy.

I'm not really sure why they only gave him reps this week as a blocker on O.  There's no way in hell he gets on the roster there, nor should he.  He's basically American Jon Oosterhuis in that role.

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Do you remember the down fall of the team in the years following the 2001 season? It’s all the same signs. That’s why. 

cutting guys who did every thing you could ask of them is a waste: 

tc is the biggest opportunity to get guys up to speed fast. You know how rare it is for an imp lber or de to come in as a rookie mid season and be turn key after nfl cuts? The guys who have been available for the last few weeks are the same guys that are available up until the nfl cut down day. 

And again, there's no one in a NFL camp today that will be up here this season.  Very unlikely.  With the increased size of practice rosters, having to give up the rest of the NFL season to sign here and limited number of games now in the fall plus the USFL/XFL guys aren't coming north if they are anywhere close to the NFL.  

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I remember the downfall well.  Khari just got creamed and when he couldn't throw any more, it was over.  The Bombers are probably hanging on to some guys too long, but who are you going to cut?  This probably will be the last year for a few of the vets.  I think that if they are still performing and winning games, they deserve one last year in the sun.  But yes we should already grooming their replacements and this doesn't appear to be happening.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember the downfall well.  Khari just got creamed and when he couldn't throw any more, it was over.  The Bombers are probably hanging on to some guys too long, but who are you going to cut?  This probably will be the last year for a few of the vets.  I think that if they are still performing and winning games, they deserve one last year in the sun.  But yes we should already grooming their replacements and this doesn't appear to be happening.

It is a bit worrying to not really add anyone substantial as rookies a few years in a row both American and Canadian.  Because when guys do retire or get injured you're hooped.  Plus everyone on the team is better if the depth is strong.  If Jefferson plays 2/3 plays he's a far better player.

It would be nice to see some guys get pushed out.  And not even the top level guys, but say a Briggs, an Augustine.  We have a lot of old, kind of expensive guys in depth roles.

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

I would contend that Dalton Schoen is at least a substantial rookie find last year. I do believe he won an award or something…

This board this weekend…UGH!!!

Yeah was thinking more defensively and Canadian, but you're right.  Keep finding DB's too.  DL/LB are kind of a dead zone though.