Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Im no Liegghio fan, but he was 5th best in punting average last season. Unless one of these other guys is the second coming of Bob Cameron Liegghio isnt going anywhere.

Did you watch the Edmonton game?  They’ll be charting the kicks daily but both punters kicked the hell out of the ball and in a way that the balls were perfect for coverage.  They both were remarkably consistent especially since the older guy hadn’t kicked in a game in 8 years.

Liegghio will have a tough time matching what they showed last week.  They’ve clearly made a decision to challenge him, and in the back of Walters mind I think he knows Liegghio is likely gone east this off-season anyways.  I don’t think Liegghio is a strong enough placekicker to compete in that derby but maybe there’s a path there for him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep both Global punters around for the start of the season assuming one of them doesn’t get scooped.

Damn near every team has a Global punter or two just hoofing the skin off the ball.  Real bad development for the Canadians.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Did you watch the Edmonton game?  They’ll be charting the kicks daily but both punters kicked the hell out of the ball and in a way that the balls were perfect for coverage.  They both were remarkably consistent especially since the older guy hadn’t kicked in a game in 8 years.

Liegghio will have a tough time matching what they showed last week.  They’ve clearly made a decision to challenge him, and in the back of Walters mind I think he knows Liegghio is likely gone east this off-season anyways.  I don’t think Liegghio is a strong enough placekicker to compete in that derby but maybe there’s a path there for him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep both Global punters around for the start of the season assuming one of them doesn’t get scooped.

Damn near every team has a Global punter or two just hoofing the skin off the ball.  Real bad development for the Canadians.

Yes i did watch the game last week, and the global/American guys were good, but IMO for the reasons stated in my previous post i dont think they release Liegghio. I do think they want to challenge him big time and hope he rises to it. I honestly would be fine with seeing Liegghio gone, but i just dont think the Bombers will do it. Lets not forget he was the best kicking prospect to come out of Canada in like 20+ years. His punting average last year was 46.9. Schmitz, who "kicked the hell out of the ball" as you say last game had an average of 49.5. Sheahan was at 48.3. I dont think 2.6 yards more per average is going to send Liegghio to the unemployment office. If he Sh**s the bed on friday it may be a different story, but his punting is actually pretty good.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You have nothing but a made up story that has a bunch of holes in it. You're assuming your ideas are facts & confusing 'What Ifs' with proof. 

Have the Bombers sent players home and put them on the suspended list? Yes. Did they do it in this in Grants case? Maybe? Is that proof? Nope.

Have the Bombers offered to give players the first week off and let them go home? Maybe? Did they do it in this case? Maybe? Is that proof? Nope.  

Is your story possible? Yes. Doesn't that make it true? Possibly. Does it put the Bombers in the best light possible? Yes. 

It's your MO. Take a possibility that puts the Bombers in the best light possible, say that's what happened, then argue with anyone (No it's not JUST me) who asks for proof. 

just-let-it-go-forget-it.gif

Those that want to understand your post, will.

12 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yes i did watch the game last week, and the global/American guys were good, but IMO for the reasons stated in my previous post i dont think they release Liegghio. I do think they want to challenge him big time and hope he rises to it. I honestly would be fine with seeing Liegghio gone, but i just dont think the Bombers will do it. Lets not forget he was the best kicking prospect to come out of Canada in like 20+ years. His punting average last year was 46.9. Schmitz, who "kicked the hell out of the ball" as you say last game had an average of 49.5. Sheahan was at 48.3. I dont think 2.6 yards more per average is going to send Liegghio to the unemployment office. If he Sh**s the bed on friday it may be a different story, but his punting is actually pretty good.

His punting cost them the GC game as much as his placekicking.  I truly believe they have lost trust there and prepared all offseason to make the roster change if they found the guys they wanted to replace him.

They found the guys.

The Canadian piece is a red herring with the Globals and the fact they are resigned to having an American placekicker anyway.

Also Liegghio is overstated as a prospect.  There’s been loads of guys over 20 years with a much higher profile and draft position as kickers, punters and guys who do it all.  He had an accuracy record in the OUA but also with very limited range.  He’s improved on that but is wildly inconsistent.

16 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

To be fair, you're assuming distance is the only metric. And its not. Leggio struggled at times with height and placement.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, you're assuming distance is the only metric. And its not. Leggio struggled at times with height and placement.

At times sure, but ever punter does. You dont think these two guys will struggle at times with height and placement too? Theyve never played a meaningful snap in the CFL.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

At times sure, but ever punter does. You dont think these two guys will struggle at times with height and placement too? Theyve never played a meaningful snap in the CFL.

Question is... Are they that far behind Lieggs? Cause if his passport doesn't matter and we need to field globals anyhow, does it make financial sense to keep him? 

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

His punting cost them the GC game as much as his placekicking.  I truly believe they have lost trust there and prepared all offseason to make the roster change if they found the guys they wanted to replace him.

They found the guys.

The Canadian piece is a red herring with the Globals and the fact they are resigned to having an American placekicker anyway.

Also Liegghio is overstated as a prospect.  There’s been loads of guys over 20 years with a much higher profile and draft position as kickers, punters and guys who do it all.  He had an accuracy record in the OUA but also with very limited range.  He’s improved on that but is wildly inconsistent.

We'll see what happens. Liegghio was very highly touted coming out of university and did all three jobs effectively. He still holds the U Sports record for most field goals all-time. I'd be very surprised if the Bombers move on, but if it helps the team im all for it.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Question is... Are they that far behind Lieggs? Cause if his passport doesn't matter and we need to field globals anyhow, does it make financial sense to keep him? 

I think the two new guys would have be be significantly better than Liegghio to unseat him. I just dont see it happening. We'll see what Liegghio does friday i suppose.

36 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

We'll see what happens. Liegghio was very highly touted coming out of university and did all three jobs effectively. He still holds the U Sports record for most field goals all-time. I'd be very surprised if the Bombers move on, but if it helps the team im all for it.

I think the two new guys would have be be significantly better than Liegghio to unseat him. I just dont see it happening. We'll see what Liegghio does friday i suppose.

I think the most logical/least risk option is to keep Leggs and Castillo for now, move the best Global that can do both jobs to the PR and see how he develops.  If he works out well it gives them the option of improving the kicking game as they see fit and the possibility of trading away a vet.  If he doesn't work out so be it, they're back to where they were when they won the GC in 2021.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think the most logical/least risk option is to keep Leggs and Castillo for now, move the best Global that can do both jobs to the PR and see how he develops.  If he works out well it gives them the option of improving the kicking game as they see fit and the possibility of trading away a vet.  If he doesn't work out so be it, they're back to where they were when they won the GC in 2021.

If they're already better than Legs, what would be waiting for?

I have no horse in this race, I just want the best players on the field. The Bombers have demonstrated multiple times that they don't trust Legs to do this job so I would not be surprised if they moved on if the competition they brought in won the competition. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

If they're already better than Legs, what would be waiting for?

I have no horse in this race, I just want the best players on the field. The Bombers have demonstrated multiple times that they don't trust Legs to do this job so I would not be surprised if they moved on if the competition they brought in won the competition. 

My vote is for the best players. 

It does tell you they wanted competition at the kicker spot whether it's Castillo vs Staton (2 American field goal guys) or legs vs Aussie vs Bermuda (cdn vs 2 globals) 

I don't think legs is a lock at all. Really liked Bermudas punting the past game, yeah he's 36 but a punter so who cares about his age. Seems like a cfl story there with him and if he's better than leggs, so be it. I'll go one further, If Staton is better than Castillo,  maybe u keep him too. 

I think Staton is a cfl kicker. Dude will probably be cut and picked up elsewhere. Leggs will be also if and when he's cut.

What do ppl make of Willie Jefferson getting both pre season games? 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It does tell you they wanted competition at the kicker spot whether it's Castillo vs Staton (2 American field goal guys) or legs vs Aussie vs Bermuda (cdn vs 2 globals) 

I don't think legs is a lock at all. Really liked Bermudas punting the past game, yeah he's 36 but a punter so who cares about his age. Seems like a cfl story there with him and if he's better than leggs, so be it. I'll go one further, If Staton is better than Castillo,  maybe u keep him too. 

Replacing Castillo with a hasty decision is where the unknowable risk comes in.  How do you know if anyone will perform well under pressure, if they've never performed under pressure before?  Experience counts.

Edited by Fatty Liver

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I think Staton is a cfl kicker. Dude will probably be cut and picked up elsewhere. Leggs will be also if and when he's cut.

What do ppl make of Willie Jefferson getting both pre season games? 

Go Blue

Edited by rebusrankin

Also the leggs thing.. dude probably getting paid more than the globals so... salary cap. I could see leggs and maybe augustine being victims of the cap here. Maybe even a DB. 

Hopefully we see some good LB and Some strong DL play.  Basically the O are gonna be Brown Pigrome and cuts. So ya not expecting much there. 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Replacing Castillo with a hasty decision is where the unknowable risk comes in.  How do you know if anyone will perform well under pressure, if they've never performed under pressure before?  Experience counts.

I’m not sure Castillo is the kicker that’s on the edge. Maybe it’s Leggs that’s being challenged. Experience counts, sure, yet the fine Mr. Leggio is the chap that has shown how he performs under pressure. That Montreal game is an example. 

15 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I’m not sure Castillo is the kicker that’s on the edge. Maybe it’s Leggs that’s being challenged. Experience counts, sure, yet the fine Mr. Leggio is the chap that has shown how he performs under pressure. That Montreal game is an example. 

I was responding to Goalie's suggestion that Castillo could be at risk of losing his job to Staton, I don't think a decision like that should be made quickly, again experience and past performance under pressure counts.