Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

Just now, wbbfan said:

If grant wanted it known why we would know. We hear about deaths births and all kinds of stuff. Doesn’t matter why to me, he deserves his privacy. I’m just happy as hell he is back. 

It could be literally anything, family related...maybe he was getting auditted by the IRS....who knows. All we know is the club felt it was a good enough reason, or may even have requested themselves for roster purposes and JG agreed.

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Suspensions happen all the time for non-disciplinary reasons. We've had numerous players over the past few years be added to the suspended list for the purposes of attending the birth of their child for instance. A suspension just means the team doesn't have to pay you for the time missed, and opens up a roster spot to replace you while not having to hide you on the IR and pay you. 

I get he may want and the club agrees to his privacy. And suspensions, I agree, mean the player doesn’t get paid. You identified circumstances which enables the Club to report to the cflpa where they may not get paid, but need to be reported. 
These are the categories of information reporting, active roster, injured players, retired players, suspension list, terminated and deleted from roster, six game injury, negotiation lists, travel schedules. We don’t get to see those lists. 
in the case birth of child, it excuses the player, and I suspect is clarified to a greater extent in either the standard player agreement or individual contract. 
“suspension” is a traditional and constant expression of use in labour agreements for a disciplinary process. Most often given as a right to the employer. 

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It could be literally anything, family related...maybe he was getting auditted by the IRS....who knows. All we know is the club felt it was a good enough reason, or may even have requested themselves for roster purposes and JG agreed.

True. It could be a number of things that the club could agree to. yet it’s Grant, they recognize his value, and they protect themselves to discipline other players that would absent themselves for similar reasons. 

Edited by Rod Black

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

I get he may want and the club agrees to his privacy. And suspensions, I agree, mean the player doesn’t get paid. You identified circumstances which enables the Club to report to the cflpa where they may not get paid, but need to be reported. 
These are the categories of information reporting, active roster, injured players, retired players, suspension list, terminated and deleted from roster, six game injury, negotiation lists, travel schedules. We don’t get to see those lists. 
in the case birth of child, it excuses the player, and I suspect is clarified to a greater extent in either the standard player agreement or individual contract. 
“suspension” is a traditional and constant expression of use in labour agreements for a disciplinary process. Most often given as a right to the employer. 

True. It could be a number of things that the club could agree to. yet it’s Grant, they recognize his value, and they protect themselves to discipline other players that would absent themselves for similar reasons. 

You can keep saying this all you want but at the end of the day, you’re wrong. Being placed on the suspended list does not automatically imply suspension i.e. discipline. ESPECIALLY in training camp.

It’s a way to move a player to non-counting roster status without placing them on the 1 or 6 game injured list. That is it, and no amount of you babbling about “standard labour procedure” is going to change that.

36 minutes ago, Tracker said:

FWIW: The Free Press today finally noticed that the Bombers are holding a training camp after ignoring them for the previous two days. This reinforces perceptions that there is a lot more and newer updates on sites such as this than most regular media,

TBF, there was no practice on Monday so there wasn't much for them to report on for that day.  Doesn't seem like much happened yesterday either with the biggest news being that Jeffcoat was back on the field.

If it was an immigration issue, let's say, then it would make sense for him to be suspended until he can officially report. Then, once he receives his work permit he can cross back to the US, then back into Canada. He would just be a bystander at camp until then. It could be red tape. 

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

You can keep saying this all you want but at the end of the day, you’re wrong. Being placed on the suspended list does not automatically imply suspension i.e. discipline. ESPECIALLY in training camp.

It’s a way to move a player to non-counting roster status without placing them on the 1 or 6 game injured list. That is it, and no amount of you babbling about “standard labour procedure” is going to change that.

Grant was on the Suspended list, most people agree to that. We can’t disagree that the employer has an obligation to report as per the Collective agreement. Most people are glad Grant returns, no argument. 
The problem you see is that I refered to appearing on the suspension list as being in a disciplinary process. It’s not a big deal nor game changing in this particular case. 
Because the term “suspension list” is within the collective agreement it falls under the common use of the word used and is defined using generally accepted interpretive rules used in a labour agreement. With no specific redefinition displayed, which is possible, but not provided, it should be interpreted as a suspension in a disciplinary process. That is my justification for placing suspension with discipline. 

it doesn’t break my heart if you don’t agree with me, because discipline is such a small and inconsequential part of the discussion. 

https://www.unison.org.uk/get-help/knowledge/terminating-suspending-job/suspension/#:~:text=A suspension is when you,a disciplinary procedure (investigation).

Edited by Rod Black

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He reported to camp passed his physical received his roster bonus for doing so as stipulated in most player's contracts and then was likely given the option to stay, or go home until week 2 so they could open up a very valuable roster spot. If he stays he gets the TC per diem which is peanuts, or he goes home and does not get it but has an extra week with his family. There really isn't much more to it than that. He is not competing for a job, his is as safe as it gets.

100%

12 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Grant was on the Suspended list, most people agree to that. We can’t disagree that the employer has an obligation to report as per the Collective agreement. Most people are glad Grant returns, no argument. 
The problem you see is that I refered to appearing on the suspension list as being in a disciplinary process. It’s not a big deal nor game changing in this particular case. 
Because the term “suspension list” is within the collective agreement it falls under the common use of the word used and is defined using generally accepted interpretive rules used in a labour agreement. With no specific redefinition displayed, which is possible, but not provided, it should be interpreted as a suspension in a disciplinary process.

it doesn’t break my heart if you don’t agree with me, because discipline is such a small and inconsequential part of the discussion. 

https://www.unison.org.uk/get-help/knowledge/terminating-suspending-job/suspension/#:~:text=A suspension is when you,a disciplinary procedure (investigation).

I demand that TBurg weigh in on this discussion!

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

If it was an immigration issue, let's say, then it would make sense for him to be suspended until he can officially report. Then, once he receives his work permit he can cross back to the US, then back into Canada. He would just be a bystander at camp until then. It could be red tape. 

I was wrong on that one. I must have misheard.

Edited by Geebrr

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He reported to camp passed his physical received his roster bonus for doing so as stipulated in most player's contracts and then was likely given the option to stay, or go home until week 2 so they could open up a very valuable roster spot. If he stays he gets the TC per diem which is peanuts, or he goes home and does not get it but has an extra week with his family. There really isn't much more to it than that. He is not competing for a job, his is as safe as it gets.

Source for this 'story' you are making up?

6 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I demand that TBurg weigh in on this discussion!

Ok. Glad to have him back on the roster.

Best guess is he didn't pass his physical. Given the option to go home for an extra week to be with his family is pure blue glasses combined with chugging the blue kool aid, singing kumbaya, best story that could be made up, etc etc etc. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

I was wrong on that one. I must have mis-heard.

IF, IF, IF... 

I'm just throwing out ideas. It's clear it's not a discipline issue and likely just involves a personal matter, which could include red tape issues with immigration. 

Just now, JCon said:

IF, IF, IF... 

I'm just throwing out ideas. It's clear it's not a discipline issue and likely just involves a personal matter, which could include red tape issues with immigration. 

I thought you were just going by what I said- just wanted to clarify I misheard. 

Otherwise, I agree with you. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

IF, IF, IF... 

You know personal matters can be subject to discipline, specifically if you can’t appear at work. This too is just throwing out ideas.

Let's just acknowledge the obvious. Grant is with the CIA, and he got called away to run a psy-op in Peru. The Bombers and the CIA have a reciprocal agreement such that the CIA won't schedule any foreign psy-ops in November so he's available for playoffs.

Glad he's back.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Let's just acknowledge the obvious. Grant is with the CIA, and he got called away to run a psy-op in Peru. The Bombers and the CIA have a reciprocal agreement such that the CIA won't schedule any foreign psy-ops in November so he's available for playoffs.

Glad he's back.

Acknowledging the obvious! 

50 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Because the term “suspension list” is within the collective agreement it falls under the common use of the word used and is defined using generally accepted interpretive rules used in a labour agreement. With no specific redefinition displayed, which is possible, but not provided, it should be interpreted as a suspension in a disciplinary process. That is my justification for placing suspension with discipline. 

so.. what does linking to a UK union website definition have to do with the CFL exactly?

You time to just slink away and accept that your definition is wrong.

never mind the link itself even goes so far as to back up what everyone else is saying...

A suspension is when you remain employed but are asked to not attend your place of work, or engage in any work at all (such as working from home).

There are two main types of suspension:

suspension for medical or health and safety reasons;

suspension as part of a disciplinary procedure (investigation).

Edited by 17to85

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Source for this 'story' you are making up?

Ok. Glad to have him back on the roster.

Best guess is he didn't pass his physical. Given the option to go home for an extra week to be with his family is pure blue glasses combined with chugging the blue kool aid, singing kumbaya, best story that could be made up, etc etc etc. 

He practiced the first day. He would not have been allowed to do so unless he passed his physical. Nice try but as usual you are out to lunch.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, 17to85 said:

so.. what does linking to a UK union website definition have to do with the CFL exactly?

Since your inquiring, It’s used in the context of language interpretation. Glad you read it by the way. 

It’s clear you don’t like what I said, in the context of discussion, and now provide orders to disappear. Are you an admin or moderator?

The magnitude of the discipline suspension issue is small, yet folks keep bringing it forward. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

never mind the link itself even goes so far as to back up what everyone else is saying...

A suspension is when you remain employed but are asked to not attend your place of work, or engage in any work at all (such as working from home).

There are two main types of suspension:

suspension for medical or health and safety reasons;

suspension as part of a disciplinary procedure (investigation).

Now that you’ve added comments, that is my point, even if you don’t understand the citing. Read what I initially wrote.
You think noncompliance with medical or safety issues especially as a player will allow you to stay employed?