Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like a week into camp I have no idea what any of the key battles are, which newcomers are looking good, who might start if Wilson can't go, etc. 

They're aren't a lot of battles to be had IMO. Biggest one is probably DT and that's not always something easily seen by a layman at practice. If Wilson can't go it's honestly probably just Clements unless someone else blows the doors off. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They're aren't a lot of battles to be had IMO. Biggest one is probably DT and that's not always something easily seen by a layman at practice. If Wilson can't go it's honestly probably just Clements unless someone else blows the doors off. 

neither Bighill or Wilson has practiced. Who is playing LB?

you mentioned DT

Holm has been taking reps with first team. Sup with that?

Has Eli had an opportunity to steal a spot or is he firmly depth?

Has Zach been distributing the ball evenly or keying in on a couple of guys?

Has there been sets (on O or D) that show more than the usual amount of Imports, indicating that they’re trying to take advantage of the new ratio rules?

Arw they sneaking in an import RB at times? Lining one up as a receiver? 2 back sets?

3downnation, a site literally dedicated to covering the CFL, should be all over this. They have next to zero coverage. Just brutal.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

you mentioned DT

Has there been sets (on O or D) that show more than the usual amount of Imports, indicating that they’re trying to take advantage of the new ratio rules?

Arw they sneaking in an import RB at times? Lining one up as a receiver? 2 back sets?

At least we got a hard hitting expose from Friesen about which Bombers carry guns back home. 🙄

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

3downnation, a site literally dedicated to covering the CFL, should be all over this. They have next to zero coverage. Just brutal.

At least we got a hard hitting expose from Friesen about which Bombers carry guns back home. 🙄

…and Taylor’s riveting interview with the  older Hallett about his feelings regarding his younger brother being released. 

1 minute ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

…and Taylor’s riveting interview with the  older Hallett about his feelings regarding his younger brother being released. 

And that’s all good stuff - but it should be a part of the on field coverage - not a complete replacement of it.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

you mentioned DT

Training camp is basically a long tryout/work into game shape/culture building time.  They are not installing anything you'll really see in the regular season at this point.  It's hardly even worth considering who gets reps in which group, who is on the field with who.

29 minutes ago, Jesse said:

According to Tait's latest quick hits article, Wade is having a good camp at LB. There's a little bit on him in there 

"LB Barrington Wade continues to open eyes during camp, especially with his speed, his length and his quick study of the Canadian game."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/19/quick-hits-training-camp-day-6-2/?utm_source=dlvr.it

As mentioned, the average person has no clue about what's going on, on the field during TC. The only ones who know are the coaches and they're not going to say anything to tip their hand. Every quote from Osh in the daily pressers when asked about individual guys is "he's awesome" (basically)... So you're not going to get much until we see a PS game and even then... Maybe not til final cuts are made. 

Edited by Noeller

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thought the same thing about rb when we brought in another imp today with out cutting one and because normally the imp rbs just do their thing in camp. We don’t normally move through them this much. 
 I don’t think Brady has practiced at al yet, with Augustine back it makes me think it’s Brady which would be awful. 
 I have trouble seeing us flip the ratio at rb easily. Unless biggie is gonna be out too and we are going ni at Mac. Which is a concern as well. 

this is in part the nature of training camp when your core players are all over 30. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

you mentioned DT

Well anyone who thinks it won't be bighill in the middle isn't paying attention. Clements will start in Wilson's spot if he isn't ready to go. Holm and Parker were close in the coaches eyes last season and by the sounds of it Holm has had a nice camp so he gets a bump. Eli won't start the season, Zach has missed the last few days and it's practice. He will look like a vet when he was there.

Honestly this team always treats the first few weeks of the season like extended preseason. The incumbents will start and you won't see jobs stolen until later in the year because that's how it's always been with these guys.

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thought the same thing about rb when we brought in another imp today with out cutting one and because normally the imp rbs just do their thing in camp. We don’t normally move through them this much. 
 I don’t think Brady has practiced at al yet, with Augustine back it makes me think it’s Brady which would be awful. 
 I have trouble seeing us flip the ratio at rb easily. Unless biggie is gonna be out too and we are going ni at Mac. Which is a concern as well. 

this is in part the nature of training camp when your core players are all over 30. 

My greatest fear with Brady and his smash into a brick wall running style, he may not be able to stay healthy for very long.  Harris was a tough running back but avoiding direct hits and slipping tackles was part of his skillset, Brady doesn't bother with that, he hits tacklers first.

22 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

My greatest fear with Brady and his smash into a brick wall running style, he may not be able to stay healthy for very long.  Harris was a tough running back but avoiding direct hits and slipping tackles was part of his skillset, Brady doesn't bother with that, he hits tacklers first.

Yeah......you can only 'freight train' people for so long before it starts to take it's toll...I thought Brady O would have used a few of Harris's moves of avoidance a little more..... I know every player has his own ' game style' but you can't argue with Andrew's success ...... Brady should learn to roll with the punches a little more ....play smart

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

As mentioned, the average person has no clue about what's going on, on the field during TC.

Which is exactly why we expect sports "reporters" to fill us in. Is that seriously asking too much? They can't employ former players or coaches as analysts or something for an expert opinion?

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Which is exactly why we expect sports "reporters" to fill us in. Is that seriously asking too much? They can't employ former players or coaches as analysts or something for an expert opinion?

Yes, they're writers.... Not football scouts. They don't necessarily know more than we do. And in some cases (we have Booch, JBR, etc that are experts or at least semi experts) they know less. They're writers/reporters... Just doing a job. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yes, they're writers.... Not football scouts. They don't necessarily know more than we do. And in some cases (we have Booch, JBR, etc that are experts or at least semi experts) they know less. They're writers/reporters... Just doing a job. 

This is ridiculous. You’ve been on this bandwagon forever and I really just don’t get it. Nobody’s asking anyone to be a football scout, the pass you keep giving guys for being lazy is crazy.

It is not difficult to go to a training camp session and share what your eyes tell you. “Player A seems to be splitting reps in the slot and at wideout, whereas player B is only getting reps in the slot”, “Player C is returning kicks and working with the defensive secondary”, “Player D is taking reps at halfback and the SAM LB spot”, “Player E seems to be having lots of drops, whereas player F catches everything thrown his way”, “Player G looks to be struggling to win his 1 on 1 battles in the trenches”, “Player H has burned longtime starter Z in a few battles today”

I’m not looking for an in-depth grading on how they perform in pass pro broken down with film to support their thoughts, I’m looking to see some consideration that they’re going there to REPORT, not play pattycake with their buddies on a sunny day.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is ridiculous. You’ve been on this bandwagon forever and I really just don’t get it. Nobody’s asking anyone to be a football scout, the pass you keep giving guys for being lazy is crazy.

It is not difficult to go to a training camp session and share what your eyes tell you. “Player A seems to be splitting reps in the slot and at wideout, whereas player B is only getting reps in the slot”, “Player C is returning kicks and working with the defensive secondary”, “Player D is taking reps at halfback and the SAM LB spot”, “Player E seems to be having lots of drops, whereas player F catches everything thrown his way”, “Player G looks to be struggling to win his 1 on 1 battles in the trenches”, “Player H has burned longtime starter Z in a few battles today”

I’m not looking for an in-depth grading on how they perform in pass pro broken down with film to support their thoughts, I’m looking to see some consideration that they’re going there to REPORT, not play pattycake with their buddies on a sunny day.

I agree. I haven't attended camp in a few years but when I did it was comical how little attention the local media paid to the field. They would stand around laughing and visiting for 90% of the time. Then they get upset when no one wants to pay for their "coverage"

Edited by GCn20

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s standard sports reporting or basic investigative journalism. Don’t know find people who do ask questions don’t get answers seek new people to ask. 

we used to get it in the freep every day. It’s not some thing new or unheard of. It’s what you would expect in any pro sports teams coverage. 

I've got some time, so here's what we've talked about on the CJOB Sports Show (happy to answer any questions for the next little bit):

WR has been consistenly Lawler-Schoen-Demski-Bailey-Wolitarsky. Bailey moving back to the slot after a year at WR.

Line is Bryant-Gray-Kolankowski-Neufeld-Hardrick. I haven't seen any reps for anyone else with the first team. Dobson has been 6th OL. Eli at C with 2nd team.

Brady practiced day 1, but not since then. Johnny took over, but missed a couple days. Appeared he was back in limited action today. They signed an American RB today...I'd guess it's because they had only two RBs able to work the last couple days (Salima ahead of Barnes).

2nd offense: Richmond-Dobson-Eli-Machino-various dudes at tackle. Harrison & Agudosi are slots with WR2. They switched Agudosi to the same SB position as Bailey--so there's potential competition for the starting spot.

QBs appear to have become Zach, Brown, Pigrome, Jones

Defence:

Willie-Walker-Thomas-Jeffcoat are #1. Lawson in for Thomas for most of camp, Cooper for Jeffcoat (who's been out since Day 4). With American DTs coming in late we've seen a lot of Schmekel-Kornelson at DT. But I have to believe there'll be another American DT to back up Walker.

DBs were Rose-Nichols-Alexander-Parker-Lawrence-Darby. Last few days Holm and Parker started splitting reps with 1st & 2nd team. Houston now in Rose's spot after Rose's injury. Houston was at HB with the 2s before that. Corner Matt Cole has a real good chance to make the team IMO. Fast, strong, a lot of return experience.

LBs have been all over the place without Bighill & Wilson. Gauthier for Bighill generally. I've seen Gauthier-Clements, Gauthier-Wade, Gauthier-Dixon (who's been cut), Clements-Wade, Clements-Cole, Clements-Cadwallader, Maruo-Cole...apart from Gauthier it's tough to figure who else is LB2. Wade is explosive in short areas. I'd think he's the best non-starting American box linebacker, but not sure how he is on specials.

Edited by DTonOB

6 minutes ago, DTonOB said:

I've got some time, so here's what we've talked about on the CJOB Sports Show (happy to answer any questions for the next little bit):

WR has been consistenly Lawler-Schoen-Demski-Bailey-Wolitarsky. Bailey moving back to the slot after a year at WR.

Line is Bryant-Gray-Kolankowski-Neufeld-Hardrick. I haven't seen any reps for anyone else with the first team. Dobson has been 6th OL. Eli at C with 2nd team.

Brady practiced day 1, but not since then. Johnny took over, but missed a couple days. Appeared he was back in limited action today. They signed an American RB today...I'd guess it's because they had only two RBs able to work the last couple days (Salima ahead of Barnes).

2nd offense: Richmond-Dobson-Eli-Machino-various dudes at tackle. Harrison & Agudosi are slots with WR2. They switched Agudosi to the same SB position as Bailey--so there's potential competition for the starting spot.

QBs appear to have become Zach, Brown, Pigrome, Jones

Defence:

Willie-Walker-Thomas-Jeffcoat are #1. Lawson in for Thomas for most of camp, Cooper for Jeffcoat (who's been out since Day 4). With American DTs coming in late we've seen a lot of Schmekel-Kornelson at DT. But I have to believe there'll be another American DT to back up Walker.

DBs were Rose-Nichols-Alexander-Parker-Lawrence-Darby. Last few days Holm and Parker started splitting reps with 1st & 2nd team. Houston now in Rose's spot after Rose's injury. Houston was at HB with the 2s before that. Corner Matt Cole has a real good chance to make the team IMO. Fast, strong, a lot of return experience.

LBs have been all over the place without Bighill & Wilson. Gauthier for Bighill generally. I've seen Gauthier-Clements, Gauthier-Wade, Gauthier-Dixon (who's been cut), Clements-Wade, Clements-Cole, Clements-Cadwallader, Maruo-Cole...apart from Gauthier it's tough to figure who else is LB2. Wade is explosive in short areas. I'd think he's the best non-starting American box linebacker, but not sure how he is on specials.

Thanks for that. Hopefully some guys are just easing in and being preventative with injury. 

How has Bennett looked? Any of the back up pass rushers looking good? How has Eli looked shape wise? Is he getting full second team reps or sitting more?