Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Right, so you actually agree that it's MOS not sharing info....just like Tburg said

Quite the contrary. He's whined about O'Shea since day 1.

Maybe the reporters could do a better job asking the right questions and putting in effort, instead of the usual complacency we see from for the most part when it comes to sports coverage in this city.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Right, so you actually agree that it's MOS not sharing info....just like Tburg said

this is true.. but what people are complaining about is not the info O'Shea is refusing to share... what people want to hear about is what is happening at camp/practice... a reporter should be able to obtain that info by simply attending camp and paying attention. 

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Exactly. We heard more from the press in updates when MOS jr was having coffee than we have heard in the entire camp about other young up and comers. Same thing last year. We never heard a thing about Dalton Schoen impressing until late into camp.

Makes me nervous about the talent we 'apparently ' brought in....Maybe there isn't that much....hence the lack of reporting.....We are left guessing

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Maybe the reporters could do a better job asking the right questions and putting in effort, instead of the usual complacency we see from for the most part when it comes to sports coverage in this city.

MOS is not going to talk about in house business. It's just that simple and people need to get over that.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

At the very least, DT does the work on the stats. It's not MOS' job to provide the reporters with their articles. Giving them a pass is a joke. There are too many bad reporters in this city covering the sports teams, just mailing it in and cashing cheques. Do the work. 

That's fair. However this specific topic "grant being suspended". How do you right anything about it if you can't get any information? 

@blue_gold_84 roll your eyes all you want. But how is the lack of info about Grant not about the way MOS typically handles these things?

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Makes me nervous about the talent we 'apparently ' brought in....Maybe there isn't that much....hence the lack of reporting.....We are left guessing

Nah...I'm sure our talent is fine. You have to watch in order to form an opinion though, and the local media huddles up and shoots the breeze instead of watching. Last year not one media guy was discussing Schoen until the final few days of camp. 

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

But in this instance, how is he wrong?

We have no idea about questions that may or may not have been asked. We have plenty of evidence that does show how MOS typically answers questions about the personal lives/issues with players.

Edited by Bigblue204

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's fair. However this specific topic "grant being suspended". How do you right anything about it if you can't get any information? 

@blue_gold_84 roll your eyes all you want. But how is the lack of info about Grant not about the way MOS typically handles these things?

It is all about how MOS handles it, but that's not the issue. The issue is that some fans want more access to players personal information than we should realistically expect. I expect that MOS will comment on Grant's suspension but we are not going to get the reason why, nor should we expect to. He will tell us if/when he expects Grant back and that's good enough for me.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

this is true.. but what people are complaining about is not the info O'Shea is refusing to share... what people want to hear about is what is happening at camp/practice... a reporter should be able to obtain that info by simply attending camp and paying attention. 

That is incorrect. This started because someone asked why the reporters weren't sharing info. TBURG replied suggesting MOS was the one not giving the info (which we all agree is his MO). Some posters somehow disagreed with Tburg. But he's not wrong. If MOS doesn't give info about what's going on with Grant....what should the reporters say?

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's not a 100% guarantee they wouldn't get any info.  Like the media was told about the QB they released so he could go home to take care of some personal stuff but was expected back.   Grant was just placed on the suspended list today so we'll see if they give any info or not.  

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That is incorrect. This started because someone asked why the reporters weren't sharing info. TBURG replied suggesting MOS was the one not giving the info (which we all agree is his MO). Some posters somehow disagreed with Tburg. But he's not wrong. If MOS doesn't give info about what's going on with Grant....what should the reporters say?

The issue on this isn't that MOS with held info, or that the press couldn't get the info, the issue is that some here felt entitled to that info and were criticizing that they didn't have it.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's not a 100% guarantee they wouldn't get any info.  Like the media was told about the QB they released so he could go home to take care of some personal stuff but was expected back.   Grant was just placed on the suspended list today so we'll see if they give any info or not.  

I suspected we will get something along those lines about Grant, even if this might just be a paper move. If MOS doesn't give reporters that much, I would say it is very safe to assume this is just a paper move to get to 75 because there is still two guys in camp they want another day or two to decide between.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The issue on this isn't that MOS with held info, or that the press couldn't get the info, the issue is that some here felt entitled to that info and were criticizing that they didn't have it.

I suspected we will get something along those lines about Grant, even if this might just be a paper move. If MOS doesn't give reporters that much, I would say it is very safe to assume this is just a paper move to get to 75 because there is still two guys in camp they want another day or two to decide between.

Agreed, I don't really care why he was placed on that list. I also expect some generic response from MOS about it. Anyone who wants/expects something different hasn't been paying attention for the past 8 years. 

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

First and foremost if the reporting was present they would know if he is in town, and if he was in town and left. That alone tells a lot vs if he never arrived. 
 Other wise, they call his agent or him. It’s easy to a none citable tidbit that gleans wether he is being roster hidden or if an issue exists. In other words, investigative journalism. Their job isn’t to regurgitate what ever they are told and nothing more. 

I get it from mos perspective. They don’t need to worry about our fan bases engagement. We show up money in hand and support. It’s not his job or concern to inform us. It’s his job to maintain a high level of quality on the team. It’s the media that’s the issue. Half is directly owned by the bombers and do no work out side of fluff pieces. The other half is indirectly owned by the bombers and do nothing out side of fluff pieces. 

All CFL teams were required to trim their rosters to 75 players plus non-counters by late Tuesday night.

Just speculation on my part but adding him to the suspended list would be one way to get under the roster limit and lets the club use his spot to look at someone else.  Just a paper move, IMO, since he's here with the club and just not practicing.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/17/winnipeg-blue-bombers-suspend-returner-janarion-grant-release-11/

37 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I would bet big money that he had some personal issues he had to deal with....and before anyone reads too much into that, I am not suggesting it is a negative matter. Who knows? Death in the family, a child's milestone to attend, legal matters....could be anything really. At this point and time Grant has nothing to prove, comes back to us year after year on team friendly contracts....this is more than likely a big nothing burger.

I'm not seeing any issue. Lack of coverage from reporters was the bellyache, not lack of news. I don't mind MOS not revealing personal matters of his squad, but I did complain that we haven't heard much in the way of rookie camp/TC player reports. Nobody telling us who is looking good/bad. Don't need MOS to be an open book for that.

They have bereavement lists etc as well though. Not sure we will ever get an answer other than him playing. 

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Just speculation on my part but adding him to the suspended list would be one way to get under the roster limit and lets the club use his spot to look at someone else.  Just a paper move, IMO, since he's here with the club and just not practicing.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/17/winnipeg-blue-bombers-suspend-returner-janarion-grant-release-11/

I'm thinking he had to leave for a few days. Is it fair to suspend Grant if he's still in town? He's now missing out on his weekly training camp pay. 

Reporters learned day 1 not to ask MOS questions he didn't want to answer. Remember that angry stare down? They learned week 1 not to use words that MOS didn't like. Remember the 'we don't use that word around here'. 8 years in fans are still complaining about how the reporters aren't doing their jobs because we aren't getting any information. If it's OK for MOS not to tell us what's going on then stop complaining about not knowing what's going on.

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Reporters learned day 1 not to ask MOS questions he didn't want to answer. Remember that angry stare down? They learned week 1 not to use words that MOS didn't like. Remember the 'we don't use that word around here'. 8 years in fans are still complaining about how the reporters aren't doing their jobs because we aren't getting any information. If it's OK for MOS not to tell us what's going on then stop complaining about not knowing what's going on.

You don’t need the club to tell you anything to do 100% more than what they’re currently doing.