2023 NHL Playoffs Thread

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it'll never happen, but my goodness how wonderful would it be to see Boston get upset in the first round.... kick the anthill but good. Everything just wide ******* open.....

The last Presidents' Trophy winner to lift the Stanley Cup was the 2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Once again, I'll have what you're having.

Hear me out - this season is reminding me a lot of the Bombers in 2019.  Had a strong start, then Nichols got hurt, and it seemed like all was pretty much lost.  The team was kind of floundering.  And then right before the playoffs, the team galvanized and started to really find itself.  I get that feeling right now from the Jets.  I know that this is 99% homerism but on the other hand, we're actually pretty good.  We can lay a beating on just about anyone if the team is skating.  I see Helle is doing his head bob thing again after making a big save, which means that he's in the zone (I always notice that little tell of his when he's feeling it).  A hot goalie can carry a team a long way, and if the Jets can shut down the shots from the other team, then we've got a shot against anybody.  

And now...watch the Jets go out 4 straight and make me look the fool...once again.  Oh well...I tried.  Only an hour and half to Crown time....

20 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Hear me out - this season is reminding me a lot of the Bombers in 2019.  Had a strong start, then Nichols got hurt, and it seemed like all was pretty much lost.  The team was kind of floundering.  And then right before the playoffs, the team galvanized and started to really find itself.  I get that feeling right now from the Jets.  I know that this is 99% homerism but on the other hand, we're actually pretty good.  We can lay a beating on just about anyone if the team is skating.  I see Helle is doing his head bob thing again after making a big save, which means that he's in the zone (I always notice that little tell of his when he's feeling it).  A hot goalie can carry a team a long way, and if the Jets can shut down the shots from the other team, then we've got a shot against anybody.  

And now...watch the Jets go out 4 straight and make me look the fool...once again.  Oh well...I tried.  Only an hour and half to Crown time....

Okay I've heard you out.

I have read it a few times, took the time to digest it, contemplated you're Bomber comparison and . . .

I'll still have what you're having. 🙂 

Hey anything can happen in the playoffs. Just get to the show.

Sort of relates to that Golf saying: drive for show (Boston getting 300 points this season), putt for dough (Winnipeg sneaking into the playoffs but execute consistently when it matters).

One can dream until of course that big boned person starts singing then its Our Year is Next Year! and Go Bombers Go! 

I've just been conditioned to believe that no Canadian team will ever win the SC ever again.... especially in a league this big, you really can't compare it to the Bombers winning in an 8 or 9 team CFL. 

35 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've just been conditioned to believe that no Canadian team will ever win the SC ever again.... especially in a league this big, you really can't compare it to the Bombers winning in an 8 or 9 team CFL. 

yes obviously the folly of that has occurred to me too.

How about this then - the Oilers in 2006.  Snuck into the playoffs.  Then took out the Red Wings in the first round, which wasn't supposed to happen.  Had a hot goalie and a team that gelled at just the right time, and rode that guy all the way to the SC finals.  Anyway, if we even make it to the second round I will be ecstatic.

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes obviously the folly of that has occurred to me too.

How about this then - the Oilers in 2006.  Snuck into the playoffs.  Then took out the Red Wings in the first round, which wasn't supposed to happen.  Had a hot goalie and a team that gelled at just the right time, and rode that guy all the way to the SC finals.  Anyway, if we even make it to the second round I will be ecstatic.

fair enough...if we're talking about getting hot at the right time, just enough to lose in the final.... I can absolutely see that. Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver (and even 2018 Jets, to a degree) have all had their chance to make a run only to lose in the final. I could definitely at least PERCEIVE of this...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

fair enough...if we're talking about getting hot at the right time, just enough to lose in the final.... I can absolutely see that. Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver (and even 2018 Jets, to a degree) have all had their chance to make a run only to lose in the final. I could definitely at least PERCEIVE of this...

That Edmonton run in 2006 was a run for the ages though.

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Hear me out...I was drunk...

53 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And there it is. 2nd period intermission breaking down a goal by McDavid against LA they bring in a replay of Auston Matthews. Ffs. 

Now they think they’re being funny and clever referring to the Leafs guffawing away while talking about the Oiler/Kings game. Nope. Not really. Let’s go lightening.