2023 NHL Playoffs Thread

First round picks:

Boston - really hope not and the illness running through their locker room gives a sliver of hope. But they are just way too good. But seeing Paul Maurice upset them would be sweet.

Toronto - rooting hard for Tampa, but I think the Leaf curse is broken. Which is fine because the Bruins will likely sweep them in round 2. But if the series goes 7, could easily see Tampa pull it off then.

NY Islanders - since the 1 v 8, 2 v 7 seeding was re-introduced, the #7 seed has won almost half of the match-ups (25 of 54). Since Seattle isn’t beating Colorado, this is my #7 seed upset 

NY Rangers - more top end talent, goaltending, and playoff experience gives them the advantage over the Devils

Colorado - most likely sweep in round 1

Dallas - dark horse to run to the Finals

Edmonton - game 7 OT anyone? The two hottest teams since the trade deadline, either is a legit threat to make a run to the Finals, but McDavid is video game cheat code unstoppable right now. Great equalizer could be the refs burying their whistles and eliminating the Oiler power play, which is their greatest weapon  

Vegas - the fact I am a Winnipegger and am wavering on the Jets convinced me that Vegas is the logical pick. Jets just too inconsistent this year to trust them to bring their best, which would be enough to beat most of their Western foes. Plus, they play best when no one believes in them, and there are still experts who see the upset happening. So it likely won’t. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I hope Boston has to go 7 each round to get to the Stanley Cup finals so they're all beat up and tired and easy work for our boys.  Yes, Jets going to the Cup baby!!

I think this has been said to you on a few occasions:

I’ll have what you’re having. :)

Go Jets Go!

And Leaf’s suck.

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Jets fans talking s**t to Oilers fans is like Rider fans trying to compare Grey Cups wins with the Bombers.  

Huh? We're not allowed to chirp? 

As much as I loathe Rider fans and yes we have way more cups than them, I wouldn't expect them to sit back and take it from us. That would be weird.

It's called rivalries for a reason.

All in good fun of course.  🙂 

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Huh? We're not allowed to chirp? 

As much as I loathe Rider fans and yes we have way more cups than them, I wouldn't expect them to sit back and take it from us. That would be weird.

It's called rivalries for a reason.

All in good fun of course.  🙂 

Who said stop chirping?   It's just not very effective when your team isn't exactly the model franchise for success and only got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.  

27 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Jets fans talking s**t to Oilers fans is like Rider fans trying to compare Grey Cups wins with the Bombers.  

LOL - this is like talking to Canadiens fans.  "Look at how many Cups we've won".  Man it's been 30 years since any Canadian team won a cup.  That's just sad by any metric, no matter which team you support.  That being said, I was cheering for the Oilers in 2006 and the Canucks in 2011.  Oh so close.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Who said stop chirping?   It's just not very effective when your team isn't exactly the model franchise for success and only got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.  

Yes, but unlike Rider fans, no one is strutting around pretending to be better. Just happy when they fail. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Now imagine if Edmonton hadn't gotten that miracle draft pick and McDavid went to the Sabres instead.  Would we still be having this conversation?

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's trash talk. It's part of the entertainment with sports fandom.

Considering fans have no say in what a franchise does, what does being a model franchise have to do with anything?

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Fair enough, effective or not they deserve chirping just as much as anyone.

For example, failing consistently and not being a model franchise resulted in:

The highest the Oilers have picked is first overall, which they did on three successive occasions between 2010 and 2012 and, most recently, 2015. They selected Taylor Hall (2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011), Nail Yakupov (2012), and Connor McDavid (2015). (Taken from the worldwide web.)

That's a good haul.

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The highest the Oilers have picked is first overall, which they did on three successive occasions between 2010 and 2012 and, most recently, 2015. They selected Taylor Hall (2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011), Nail Yakupov (2012), and Connor McDavid (2015). (Taken from the worldwide web.)

That's a good haul.

I'm not sure what franchise has been worse handling the talent they've been gifted, the Oilers or the Leafs? 

34 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

That's a good haul.

They also drafted Nurse (7th overall in 2013), Draisaitl (3rd overall in 2014), and Puljujarvi (4th overall in 2016). 

2017 (Yamamoto at 10th overall) was the first time since 2008 (Eberle at 22nd overall) where they didn't have a draft pick in the top 10. They had top 10 picks in 2018 (Bouchard at 10th overall) and 2019 (Broberg at 8th overall), too.

Model franchise.

Edited by blue_gold_84
info added