2023 CFL Draft Discussion

54 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Again, though, fellas...we're the diehards....of course we'd watch it. You're telling me though that it's a mistake to not stream it because they need to reach the people that they're not already reaching........ why would those people watch a CIS combine?? 

Should the league just fold then? Never going to reach new fans?

Streaming it is part of it. Getting top performers on social media is another. The top 40 times, presses, jumps, etc. showing 1-on-1s of DBs and receivers.

Promoting it to the areas where these kids are coming from, get the team beat reporters and podcasters to put out team need lists and top performers in each position group.

Not everyone reads articles. There needs to be short, easily consumable media released on a variety of platforms. In the off season, there are fewer opportunities for that; but when an event does come around, the CFL whiffs.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Again, though, fellas...we're the diehards....of course we'd watch it. You're telling me though that it's a mistake to not stream it because they need to reach the people that they're not already reaching........ why would those people watch a CIS combine?? 

content isn't just about putting out good content. lol. I know that sounds wrong. But it's not. You start by putting out everything and anything and refine as you go. CFL puts out essentially nothing. On top of that they also stop other people from putting out solid CFL content. 

If you're not filming, you could miss a viral moment. Literally anything...and that can get people involved. It's not so much about the boring content, I agree that people who aren't hardcore won't jump at the chance...but they may come across it and see it in a way that we don't and take it from there. Dumb **** goes viral all the time, and people make careers and loads of $$ off that. If you're not putting out content you're not even in the stadium to try and play.

Edited by Bigblue204

So, I've seen a TON of combine content online......not LIVE videos, but there's been a ton of pictures and vids from the various events that I've seen online. I'm not on TikTok (what in the **** is that even...??) but everything else has had stuff on it from the combine. Not articles, but pics and vids...... so it's not that they're doing NOTHING....it's just not LIVE COVERAGE....

4 hours ago, Geebrr said:

It should be just clips like others have said. 

I’ve heard people speculate the NFL won’t even have a combine - at least in its current format in the future because of it being a massive undertaking with minimal value. 

I think it’ll be much smaller in the future. Maybe 3 rounds worth of picks. So teams can get those all important height in shoes, hand width of top pick qbs and wonderlick scores. 

13 hours ago, JCon said:

Of course no one is forcing anyone!?!?!? What on earth???

If this were an American league, I would watch the NFL only where the best players play.

You do whatever you want.

Bottom line, is the league thriving the way it is now? The CFL isn't even streaming the Combine. So yeah, let's just keep doing what isn't working. 

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

So, I've seen a TON of combine content online......not LIVE videos, but there's been a ton of pictures and vids from the various events that I've seen online. I'm not on TikTok (what in the **** is that even...??) but everything else has had stuff on it from the combine. Not articles, but pics and vids...... so it's not that they're doing NOTHING....it's just not LIVE COVERAGE....

Live coverage is how you get the secondary wave - so all the CFL podcasters and non-team affiliated journalists can tune in and provide analysis.

They can choose to do whatever they want - but Randy has publicly said that the problem is not enough content (told to him by Genius because the league couldn't figure it out on their own) - and every time there is an opportunity to create content (or have content created free for them), they let it pass by.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bottom line, is the league thriving the way it is now? The CFL isn't even streaming the Combine. So yeah, let's just keep doing what isn't working. 

There wouldn't even be a combine. 

25 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

For what it's worth, my friends in Saskatchewan are saying that this is the wrong time of the year for a combine.  This is harrower/seeder season.

They tuned in for live combine coverage and were VERY disappointed! 

19 hours ago, Geebrr said:

It is interesting - because the crowds at Bomber games are a good mix and I would say the Bombers have started to get more popular with younger crowds. The social aspect of  games has played a big part. People in their teens and 20s are not just there they are decked out in gear. 

The Jets game day crowds feel way older. 

Until the games are on  major TV why would anyone watch the combine? 

actually...when u see here...bc...Ott...Mtl...even in T.O there are a lot of young people in the crowds...this mantra that the fan base is dying off is a bit over blown...the CFL just needs to get with the times and become accesible, and more relevant on the new age of social media...marketing..etc...etc, and yes....broadcast the full draft...combines...create a weekly show ...focusing on league highlights the week before, then doing player profiles...personal interest stories with players..fans...etc....thats where they are missing the boat

22 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What’s the crisis?  Almost none of those guys would have started or even played in a CFL game this season….and they’ll be in the 2024 draft.

What you’re saying is like saying the NHL would be in crisis if they moved the draft year to 19 from 18.

A far bigger issue is the quality of American players coming in.  Guys aren’t going to come in young as they have so many options to stay south.  Also anyone at a Power 5 school is getting paid as much as they will in the CFL to play NCAA.  They aren’t broke anymore, they can bide their time in the States that much longer.

On the other hand the CFL will get guys that have been in the US minor pro leagues and are used to being a pro.

It’s just a change.

Crisis was an overstatement. Just a snafu really for the next couple years.

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

jealous.

I need to review and upload the video but just standing on the deck last night was spectacular.

I have been told that even those in the city could see them through the light pollution that is city living. I have not seen anything so bright and intense since the summer I spent in Pukatawagon.