Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

Manitoba justice minister apologizes for appointment of former MLA who downplays residential school harm | CBC News

McCrae was co-author of a March 2022 article in the Dorchester Review that suggested the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation "promotes a darker view of Canadian history than the facts justify" and inflates the number of people who died at residential schools.

In a Western Standard article published in December 2022, McCrae also wrote that the evidence on Indian residential schools "does not support the overall gruesome narrative put forward around the world for several years."

Oops, a little of that closeted PC racism was caught in public again. I don't see this as big of a story as when the premier or Indigenous Reconciliation minister actively defended residential schools, but it is becoming a pattern.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Manitoba justice minister apologizes for appointment of former MLA who downplays residential school harm | CBC News

Oops, a little of that closeted PC racism was caught in public again. I don't see this as big of a story as when the premier or Indigenous Reconciliation minister actively defended residential schools, but it is becoming a pattern.

It has been a PC problem for some time. The sin is not thinking it or saying it behind closed doors but getting caught. 

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

So racism is exclusive to the PC is it? I got news for you...if you don't think their are many racist NDPs and Libs then you have never faced racism. I've seen racism from every side of the political spectrum and that is an undeniable truth.  It is atrocious for any political party supoorter to get on their soap box and pretend their rich entitled white men/women are more racially virtuous than another's. As a native Canadian I can honestly say that the Libs/Cons/NDP federally and provincially let their actions, or lack thereof, speak volumes.

Edited by GCn20

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ouellette-southdale-election-liberals-1.6858418

Robert-Falcon Ouellette making a play for Southdale, a southeastern Winnipeg constituency.

That will be an interesting race for sure. I know Robert well and he is as solid a poltician as there is. Unfortunately, this will probably drain votes from the NDP in what was already going to be a very tight race. I think you are going to see a very high level of aboriginal candidates that will raise some eyebrows coming out of the Liberal camp in the next few months. Noel Bernier, is an excellent recruiter for the Liberals and has been working non-stop for them.

Edited by GCn20

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

So racism is exclusive to the PC is it? I got news for you...if you don't think their are many racist NDPs and Libs then you have never faced racism. I've seen racism from every side of the political spectrum and that is an undeniable truth.  It is atrocious for any political party supoorter to get on their soap box and pretend their rich entitled white men/women are more racially virtuous than another's. As a native Canadian I can honestly say that the Libs/Cons/NDP federally and provincially let their actions, or lack thereof, speak volumes.

Did the post you quoted say racism is exclusive to one party? Or was it talking about a specific incident?

46 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Did the post you quoted say racism is exclusive to one party? Or was it talking about a specific incident?

One party was named. Go back and read it. If it was meant to include all parties, or people therein, it wasn't worded as such.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s kind of a shame the MB Liberal party has no standing. 
As far as rhetoric goes anyway, Lamont seems very reasonable across the board.  

They just have big time cash flow problems and no avenues really to get any. I know they have been working really hard behind the scenes to try become the defacto party representing native interests but I am not sure how fruitful that is financially for them.

26 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

One party was named. Go back and read it. If it was meant to include all parties, or people therein, it wasn't worded as such.

Yeah that's my point. lol. The story was about 1 party. To then reply with "There are racists everywhere!!" is weird. Almost borders on defense of said party/racism.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That will be an interesting race for sure. I know Robert well and he is as solid a poltician as there is. Unfortunately, this will probably drain votes from the NDP in what was already going to be a very tight race. I think you are going to see a very high level of aboriginal candidates that will raise some eyebrows coming out of the Liberal camp in the next few months. Noel Bernier, is an excellent recruiter for the Liberals and has been working non-stop for them.

I really wished that Robert was in the mayoral election in 2018,  I think he would of won it.   Good dude with a smart head on his shoulders.    

35 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah that's my point. lol. The story was about 1 party. To then reply with "There are racists everywhere!!" is weird. Almost borders on defense of said party/racism.

You stated "closeted PC racism". That is singling one party out. If you don't want to be called out on hypocrisy don't be hypocritical and quit trying to pretend you weren't implying exactly what you were implying. It's disingenuous.

Defending racism? That is about the stupidest accusation ever to make to someone who has been a victim of racism his entire life. Get a clue. I just won't allow any party to be singled out for racism when it runs rampant in EVERY party and EVERY party's supporters to some degree. That's just the facts. No one gets a free pass from me, and no one gets to single out another party for racism until their own party gets their's in check too.

34 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I really wished that Robert was in the mayoral election in 2018,  I think he would of won it.   Good dude with a smart head on his shoulders.    

I have a feeling he will be the leader of the provincial Liberals in time.

Edited by GCn20

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ouellette-southdale-election-liberals-1.6858418

Robert-Falcon Ouellette making a play for Southdale, a southeastern Winnipeg constituency.

Robert Falcon-Ouelette is an intelligent, well-spoken person, but I understand he is also a medical doctor, and we need another MD in practice way more than we need another MP.

13 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Ok, so no one can talk about a racist incident without acknowledging the racism in all parties, all people, all institutions, all racist incidents, and so on?

So, if I bring up the racist "barbaric cultural practices" tip line of the harper era, I have to bring up every incident of inaction by governments of the past to discuss the tip line as being inherently racist?

17 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Ok, so no one can talk about a racist incident without acknowledging the racism in all parties, all people, all institutions, all racist incidents, and so on?

So, if I bring up the racist "barbaric cultural practices" tip line of the harper era, I have to bring up every incident of inaction by governments of the past to discuss the tip line as being inherently racist?

Is that what you think I'm saying? Discuss racism for sure, discuss racist practices. However, don't label it to one party as it is systemic and putting it under one party's tent does combatting it a disservice. If you want to call out a racist policy go ahead and who implemented it. However, do so recognizing that when these policies were exacted is just a microcosm of 200 years of colonial racist policy and that everyone needs to do better. "Closeted PC racism" makes it sound like one party's problem when in fact the Liberals and NDP are grossly populated by racists as well. And don't give me this crap that he was just so happening to bring up an instance of a PC government, his intent was to label the PCs as being more racist than any other party and that is complete fallacy and does nothing to advance anyone's awareness and mitigation of racism. Yes I will call out people who get on a soap box to sell their political party over another using racism as a lever. I have seen and heard many disgusting things come out of the mouth of MPs/MLAs of all political stripes and it's time we all start acknowledging that racism is not a one party problem.

Edited by GCn20

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You stated "closeted PC racism". That is singling one party out. If you don't want to be called out on hypocrisy don't be hypocritical and quit trying to pretend you weren't implying exactly what you were implying. It's disingenuous.

Defending racism? That is about the stupidest accusation ever to make to someone who has been a victim of racism his entire life. Get a clue. I just won't allow any party to be singled out for racism when it runs rampant in EVERY party and EVERY party's supporters to some degree. That's just the facts. No one gets a free pass from me, and no one gets to single out another party for racism until their own party gets their's in check too.

I have a feeling he will be the leader of the provincial Liberals in time.

I didn't say anything. Someone posted a story about the PCs. Why would they also bring up everything else? 

No one was asking anyone to give the other parties a free pass. The story was only about 1 party though.

For example it would be weird of someone posted a story about how the Bombers have some really great players on their team. And you replied saying...."You think only the bombers have great players? If you're going to talk about great players, you better mention that every team has great players!"....the story being discussed, was about the bombers. It's not about other teams.

I did say, "ALMOST, defending". Because that's how it comes off. 

You gone fully off the tracks today. Yes every party/organization/school/etc etc etc has racist individuals. No one is arguing otherwise. But it's weird for you to expect people to acknowledge that, anytime a specific incident is brought up.

Edited by Bigblue204

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

PCs as being more racist than any other party and that is complete fallacy and does nothing to advance anyone's awareness and mitigation of racism.

ok fair- then which party do you suppose is more racist than the others? 

It is not a complete fallacy that a party is more racist than the others. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I didn't say anything. Someone posted a story about the PCs. Why would they also bring up everything else? 

No one was asking anyone to give the other parties a free pass. The story was only about 1 party though.

For example it would be weird of someone posted a story about how the Bombers have some really great players on their team. And you replied saying...."You think only the bombers have great players? If you're going to talk about great players, you better mention that every team has great players!"....the story being discussed, was about the bombers. It's not about other teams.

I did say, "ALMOST, defending". Because that's how it comes off. 

I will tell you how I think, and it's just my opinion, that it would be better served to have said what you said. Instead of saying "closeted PC racism" a far more accurate descriptor would be "closeted government racism". It takes the party politics out of it, and broadens the net to all who are culpable. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I will tell you how I think, and it's just my opinion, that it would be better served to have said what you said. Instead of saying "closeted PC racism" a far more accurate descriptor would be "closeted government racism". It takes the party politics out of it, and broadens the net to all who are culpable. 

That's unrealistic and fairly unreasonable. It's important to be specific with serious incidents like this. I'm all for grouping parties together. But when a serious incident occurs, specific details matter.

I've never seen you talk about JTs brown face in such a manner.

Edited by Bigblue204

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

ok fair- then which party do you suppose is more racist than the others? 

It is not a complete fallacy that a party is more racist than the others. 

At various times, they all ebb and flow. If I am looking at who the most racist is I always look at who is in power because they have the ability to do something and don't. However, from a  voting base it's probably and easily the far right followed closely by Laurentian elite. The Liberals and PCs by far outpace the NDP on racism, however the NDP does have racist segments in their support as well.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's unrealistic and fairly unreasonable. It's important to be specific with serious incidents like this. I'm all for grouping parties together. But when a serious incident occurs, specific details matter.

I've never heard you talk about JTs brown face in such a manner.

Tbh, I was not all that offended by JTs brown face. I think that was just a stupid mistake of a costume with no real inherent racism intended.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

At various times, they all ebb and flow. If I am looking at who the most racist is I always look at who is in power because they have the ability to do something and don't. However, from a  voting base it's probably and easily the far right followed closely by Laurentian elite. The Liberals and PCs by far outpace the NDP on racism, however the NDP does have racist segments in their support as well.

So you think racism is only a Canadian problem? 

See how ******* weird that is?

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've never heard you talk about JTs brown face in such a manner.

What details were missing from context with my alternative to your post.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

So you think racism is only a Canadian problem? 

See how ******* weird that is?

We were talking about Canadian politics. Jeez you are reaching now. Do you want to go over the entire world? We can do that but it would take some time. I was asked specifically what political parties in Canada do I feel are most racist. I answered and your response is what was weird. But to be clear, because you appear confused, no....I do not think racism is a Canada only problem. 

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

What details were missing from context with my alternative to your post.

The party the current holds power is the one in question. The party that makes decisions that may impact marginalized people are the ones the story was about. You may not think that's import, but you'd be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The party the current holds power is the one in question. The party that makes decisions that may impact marginalized people are the ones the story was about. You may not think that's import, but you'd be wrong.

Great they are the government. Like I say, where did my alternative lack context? You felt the need to label that government, and I feel that is not necessary as ALL governments have put racist policy in place, or refused to remove racist policy. This current government happens to be PC, the NDP and the federal Liberals are just as bad when it comes to racist policy. I feel that is more important to point out than pretending it's a one party problem and it all goes away if we vote right and whether you like it or not, when you label racism to one party, you are giving other parties a free pass by default.

Edited by GCn20