Main Camp -- Day 2

Noeller

Disappointed that two guys I was looking to see big things from both got hurt.

Miles was on the PR last year though so maybe he gets an invite back. Two weeks isn't ALL of camp though, thankfully.

Miles was definitely a guy I thought had a chance to be a good player for us. I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean he can't be though.

Disappointed that two guys I was looking to see big things from both got hurt.

Miles was on the PR last year though so maybe he gets an invite back. Two weeks isn't ALL of camp though, thankfully.

Miles was definitely a guy I thought had a chance to be a good player for us. I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean he can't be though.

with the way Bomber players seem to get injured year in and year out, I'd say most of the players in camp right now will be in uniform at some point in the season, be they on the P/R or called back al a Justin Goltz back in 2011 after a few weeks go by and starters start dropping like flies. Last year we didn't even make it to Game one without having to play our 3rd string running back (who couldn't catch a ball to save his life) and our 2nd string tackle (who couldn't block to save his life).

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Coaches-expect-battle-between-QBs--on-the-depth-chart-is-going-to-be-a-long-drawn-out-scrap-209970251.html

Ed Tait's take on Day 2. Interesting comments from Burke in the video, looks like we'll be keeping Ford, Garrett and Simpson around - two on the 42 man and one more on the 46.

What did he say specifically?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Coaches-expect-battle-between-QBs--on-the-depth-chart-is-going-to-be-a-long-drawn-out-scrap-209970251.html

Ed Tait's take on Day 2. Interesting comments from Burke in the video, looks like we'll be keeping Ford, Garrett and Simpson around - two on the 42 man and one more on the 46.

What did he say specifically?

watch the video that's a part of the link to the Freep, produced by Melissa Tait, who I assume is a relation of Ed.

This sounds great, we needed seven different tailbacks (Garret, Dorzon, Simpson, Ford, Woodson, Riva, Volny) to get through the year last year, so depth is necessary.

Also maybe they're high enough on their Canadian OL that we can make regular use of two import RBs, which would be fantastic.

I think itll be hard to DI an import rb, unless they plan on having Johnson and Washington share the return duties...

I do like the idea of having a DI RB and having a run heavy offence with Fitzgerald sealing off the edge. Would be sweet having a Power I with Fitzgerald at TE and Pontbriand lead blocking for Chad/Ford. We could do a lot with that formation.

From the sounds of it though, we may not have to rely on the Run game quite as much as I thought with the way Max Hall seems to be playing. In my mind, Clement is now trying to push Goltz out the door for third string now. I think Clement would suit the wild cat offence just as well as Goltz.

I don't think it will be difficult to use a DI spot on an import RB at all.

Especially because I'm starting to think there's a strong possibility we have four DI spots this year. I can definitely see us starting eight Canadians.

Where do you see us starting our 8th guy? It will definately be easier to do so with a starting canadian LBer though..

Where do you see us starting our 8th guy? It will definately be easier to do so with a starting canadian LBer though..

I think it could come from a couple of spots.

The one spot I'm considering strongly is Kohlert or Etienne at the second WR spot, but I don't think that's as easy as it sounds because we'd still have to have an extra import REC on the roster simply because we don't have enough backup non-import receivers. We'll probably keep Taylor Renaud around, but it's not going to be on the 42 and having ONE backup for THREE starters obviously isn't ideal. It'd be easier if DiCroce was healthy or Aprile was here.

The other spot is right tackle, but that's a ways away from happening and I think Douglas or Simmons will probably lay claim to that spot by the end of camp.

Muambas, Poblah, Watson and three OL is still a pretty good group of Canucks. I guess if we do go with seven Canadian starters, we'll likely DI a RB, a DE and a DB. Realistically, there's no need for a DI linebacker because Stephan and Labbe are capable enough and if our nickel back gets hurt, you can just stick the 6th DB there because if they're going to DI, they're obviously going to be flexible.

That's why I see it being difficult for a guy like Markett to get on the 42 man roster ... he may be a very good player, but I don't envision him as one of those flexible DB types who can play any spot on the field like a Hefney or a Sears.

I think it could come from a couple of spots.

The one spot I'm considering strongly is Kohlert or Etienne at the second WR spot, but I don't think that's as easy as it sounds because we'd still have to have an extra import REC on the roster simply because we don't have enough backup non-import receivers. We'll probably keep Taylor Renaud around, but it's not going to be on the 42 and having ONE backup for THREE starters obviously isn't ideal. It'd be easier if DiCroce was healthy or Aprile was here.

The other spot is right tackle, but that's a ways away from happening and I think Douglas or Simmons will probably lay claim to that spot by the end of camp.

Muambas, Poblah, Watson and three OL is still a pretty good group of Canucks. I guess if we do go with seven Canadian starters, we'll likely DI a RB, a DE and a DB. Realistically, there's no need for a DI linebacker because Stephan and Labbe are capable enough and if our nickel back gets hurt, you can just stick the 6th DB there because if they're going to DI, they're obviously going to be flexible.

That's why I see it being difficult for a guy like Markett to get on the 42 man roster ... he may be a very good player, but I don't envision him as one of those flexible DB types who can play any spot on the field like a Hefney or a Sears.

Agreed, I think its possible to go with 8 this year, but I think its still unlikely. We may go with 3 canuck recievers next season though if Aprile comes back and Dicroce is healhty, also if Ali comes to camp we may be almost forced to go with 3 NI recs. I dont think Swiston is good enough to beat Douglas just yet either.

I agree that Markett will have a hard time getting on the 42. If he cant beat out one of the incumbents, he'll be on the PR IMO. I think If Sears is ready to go game 1, Marshall will be the DI. If Sears isnt ready I can see Marshall starting at SAM and Dunn winning the DI spot. Purely speculative though obviously, I dont have any constacts and I havent seen these guys against CFL level competition.