2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

the only thing I'd say against bringing Castillo in is, how does Leggs ever grow if you don't let him try....... now you could say that last year he had his chance and wasn't good enough, but......it's one year. Still, I could get behind Legs doing KO/Punt, and Castillo FG/PATs.... if that's what The Trinity deem appropriate. 

They're letting him try in training camp.  He has to earn a role.  That's pro football.

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

So you agree to my original point that he did better then Legs at kicking field goals and PAT's last season and that comparing play off performances between the two guys over the last 2 seasons that Castillo did better.    

Noeller nor I mentioned punting ,  and nothing says that we can't have Legs punting and Castillo place kicking. 

I'd argue Legs did better on Extra points than Castillo. Castillo missed 3 on 25 attempts...legs missed 5 but on 56 attempts. Which also speaks to just how pathetic that edm O was lol.

So I've been thinking on it. I think I have trauma from the Larry Arugala situation, and tossing potentially great CFL-via-CIS kickers to the trash heap too soon. At the end of the day, if you're able to just go buy a veteran PK whenever you need one, then may be no need to stress about developing one that you carry for a whole career like Bob Cameron or Westwood or Kennerd or whoever. 

It may also be a valid point that Legs could just be a punter like Maver and carve out a good career that way. 

All in all, trust The Trinity. 

Edited by Noeller

14 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I would think they would cut some of the American kickers they signed.  Especially the punter.  I just don't see them carrying two Americans on the roster to handle kicking duties.  The way I view it Castillo is the place kicker and there's a battle between Leggs and the globals for the punting job.  Leggs would be hard to beat out because he provides placekicking depth as well.  But perhaps with the unexpected money being spent on Castillo they would look at an Global punter as a cost cutting measure because you don't have to pay globals the league minimum if my memory serves me correct. 

To me, it would not be a great surprise if Castillo and Liegghio were both on the roster at the end of training camp. Kickers do not get hurt often, but they do get hurt, so if one of these two goes down, we have an instant backup.

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To me, it would not be a great surprise if Castillo and Liegghio were both on the roster at the end of training camp. Kickers do not get hurt often, but they do get hurt, so if one of these two goes down, we have an instant backup.

Worked for the playoffs in 2021.

Leggz is still on his rookie deal, and Castillo already had a bonus paid by Edm so shouldn't be an issue to fit both under the cap. 

Good chance both guys will excel in separate roles. Leggz is the better punter. Castillo the better kicker.

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

Like the Castillo signing....dont like we lose a DI spot now that would be key elsewhere, that being said I want him to do all 3 jobs then and at least we can have another Canadian foot soldier rostered

His punting is pretty poor. Im sure the plan is to have Castillo do the place kicking and Leigghio the punting.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I believe it was the Stumpeders a couple of years back went for a lot of 2 point converts. If you have the offence to execute, why not?

Fairly sure the Steelers have/do this in the NFL. Theres a whole bunch of analytics/stats/odds that play into it that show its more beneficial just to go for two all the time. Having said that you can find stats to "prove" virtually anything.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I believe it was the Stumpeders a couple of years back went for a lot of 2 point converts. If you have the offence to execute, why not?

I'd like to see us go for 2 points once per game...cause why not...it allows the 2 point team reps under fire, and is good reps for in the season when you may really need it...I would bet we probably are the team in the CFL with the fewest 2 point attempts over past 5 years...and its not even close

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I'd like to see us go for 2 points once per game...cause why not...it allows the 2 point team reps under fire, and is good reps for in the season when you may really need it...I would bet we probably are the team in the CFL with the fewest 2 point attempts over past 5 years...and its not even close

Osh NEVER goes for 2 points even when it makes sense. Drives me nuts. Its the one thing i hate about him lol. Its almost as if he once fell in love with a 2 point conversion and it cheated on him and broke his heart.

8 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Fairly sure the Steelers have/do this in the NFL. Theres a whole bunch of analytics/stats/odds that play into it that show its more beneficial just to go for two all the time. Having said that you can find stats to "prove" virtually anything.

In the CFL 2 yards in should be a gimme.  You can load up the box or you run you're entire offense with a 20 yard endzone to work with.  If you have 3-4 half decent RPO plays with a QB who can boot for 2 yards you're looking at a huge defensive play needed to stop it.

Say you score 3 TD's in a game and you convert 2 2PAT's...you've got 22 points.  If you make all single PATs, you've got 21.  Most kickers since they moved the PATs back are between 80-85% so going 2/3 on 2PAT's is more points in many games and for sure over a whole season.

Especially if it's windy or otherwise tough conditions I'd be going for 2 every time.  I don't really see the odds and variables involved (snap, hold, kick) of making the 1 pointer as any easier than getting to the goal-line from the 2.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In the CFL 2 yards in should be a gimme.  You can load up the box or you run you're entire offense with a 20 yard endzone to work with.  If you have 3-4 half decent RPO plays with a QB who can boot for 2 yards you're looking at a huge defensive play needed to stop it.

Say you score 3 TD's in a game and you convert 2 2PAT's...you've got 22 points.  If you make all single PATs, you've got 21.  Most kickers since they moved the PATs back are between 80-85% so going 2/3 on 2PAT's is more points in many games and for sure over a whole season.

Especially if it's windy or otherwise tough conditions I'd be going for 2 every time.  I don't really see the odds and variables involved (snap, hold, kick) of making the 1 pointer as any easier than getting to the goal-line from the 2.

Innerestin theory. Has any team tried that? 

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Look what we did with Justin Goltz every time we were inside the 10 yard line. Why couldn't we do something similar (with an infinitely better roster) for conversions?

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Until we lose a game by one point because we went for two when we didn't have to. Always take the points. Don't leave any on the field if you don't have to. At least that's my philosophy, Booch. I know there are some coaches who would disagree. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Until we lose a game by one point because we went for two when we didn't have to. Always take the points. Don't leave any on the field if you don't have to. At least that's my philosophy, Booch. I know there are some coaches who would disagree. 

Last game we played, we lost by one because we went for one when we didn't have to.

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's like saying we shouldn't go for it on third and goal on the one because the FG is easier. 

You're leaving a point on the field when you go for one. 

I would like to see us go for two more often. 

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes....take the points ...but it doesn't hurt in a lopsided score in the fourth to try a 2 pointer...I know Bud Grant had that fast and true rule of taking the points....another of his was to take the wind right from the get go cuz you never know what it will do during the game...Some coaches have different philosophies....Bud had his and was pretty successful 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Statistically nearly identical.

I believe DTs stay page said Castillo had many deeper attempts than Legs, which impacted his percentage. Jones threw him out there at 40+ constantly where Legs, bless him, was rarely asked to kick deeper ones (lest we all forget about a 50+ yarder to win the LDC last year...) 

14 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Leggs ****ing sucks and will get cut by the end of TC. The team has no confidence in him and rightly so. 

Wanna bet? He’s going to punt and kick off while Sergio kicks fgs. Book it. About 0.0001% chance he’s cut. 
 If Sergio gets hurt then legs will take over kicking. And they’ll likely go into next years camp the same way, contract depending.