2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Show us on the doll where Dane Evans hurt you 

I have never liked players who put themselves above everybody else. That whatever happens on the field isn't their fault. That somebody else on the team screwed up. Or someone on the line whiffed a block causing a sack or a fumble. Meanwhile that same player throws criticizes other teammates throws interceptions at criticial times in a game, it doesn't matter. If this kind of thing happens once then okay **** happens as emotions get the best of us all  However, when it's a regular occurence that needs to be addressed. Especially from the qb position. And Orlando Steinhauer did address it. He seems like a guy who is a player's coach & will let a lot of things slide by but even he had enough with Evans.

Anyway, that's my answer. Feel free to agree or disagree.

On 2023-03-20 at 11:51 AM, GCn20 said:

Wish we would have done more with the 1st overall, but who we drafted does not diminish the worth of that pick. I am in disbelief that anyone would not see the intrinsic value of having the 1st overall pick in any draft year. Draft picks can be busts, but I still place a ton of value on having a top 3 CFL draft pick. Who we got with that pick is irrelevant.  It doesn't make the trade better for Toronto, it just means we squandered a golden opportunity. Just having the opportunity of dibs on all draft eligible players is very valuable. 

For all we know, if Toronto retains that pick maybe they take Cam Judge, or Geoff Gray....

The CFL Draft is being diminished by more & more players going to the NFL. That first pick isn't a first pick anymore. Maybe it's a fifth pick in reality. I said this before that it's becoming time to eliminate the ratio. & Neg Lists & have an overall general draft. Times are changing the CFL is stagnating. Gotta be able to cahnge & adapt with the times. 

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have never liked players who put themselves above everybody else. That whatever happens on the field isn't their fault. That somebody else on the team screwed up. Or someone on the line whiffed a block causing a sack or a fumble. Meanwhile that same player throws criticizes other teammates throws interceptions at criticial times in a game, it doesn't matter. If this kind of thing happens once then okay **** happens as emotions get the best of us all  However, when it's a regular occurence that needs to be addressed. Especially from the qb position. And Orlando Steinhauer did address it. He seems like a guy who is a player's coach & will let a lot of things slide by but even he had enough with Evans.

We really need to stop shaming athletes because they show emotions. They all have to be robots who do exactly what the fans want. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

We really need to stop shaming athletes because they show emotions. They all have to be robots who do exactly what the fans want. 

So, that topic about Evans is suddenly taboo even if his behaviour affects his level of play? Yet, we can mock players from other teams & make fun of them here just because we hate them? Dislike them? Despise them? Not respect them?? Players have families just like we do & their feelings get hurt yet it's okay to call them names or worse.

How many here have mocked Cody Fajardo? Seems to me he's a bit fragile emotionally which is a mental health issue & that's just made the mockery worse. No one I know here has cared about his mental health. When Fajardo complained about a player publicly, he was considered selfish, a jerk & a bad teammate here by posters. No one showed any concern for his mental safety as he was showing his emotions.

When Fajardo said that the criticism of his play hurt his feelings what was the reaction here? Cries of derision & laughter by the same people who say that criticizing Evans was a terrible thing. 

For some, criticizing Fajardo has gone deeper than that. It borders on actual hatred. Why?? Sadly, he is guilty of one thing only. He played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Nothing more. To me, the lectures are all so hypocritical & two faced. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, that topic about Evans is suddenly taboo even if his behaviour affects his level of play? Yet, we can mock players from other teams & make fun of them here just because we hate them? Dislike them? Despise them? Not respect them?? Players have families just like we do & their feelings get hurt yet it's okay to call them names or worse.

How many here have mocked Cody Fajardo? Seems to me he's a bit fragile emotionally which is a mental health issue & that's just made the mockery worse. No one I know here has cared about his mental health. When Fajardo complained about a player publicly, he was considered selfish, a jerk & a bad teammate here by posters. No one showed any concern for his mental safety as he was showing his emotions.

When Fajardo said that the criticism of his play hurt his feelings what was the reaction here? Cries of derision & laughter by the same people who say that criticizing Evans was a terrible thing. 

For some, criticizing Fajardo has gone deeper than that. It borders on actual hatred. Why?? Sadly, he is guilty of one thing only. He played for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Nothing more. To me, the lectures are all so hypocritical & two faced. 

The answer to this question should be be to also not mock Fajardo for any mental health struggles that he may choose to talk about, not to use it as an excuse to also mock Evans.

You can talk about both of their play on the field, CF has a tendency to blame the media and sometimes, fans and teammates, which I think is fair game; but he has also made comments about mental health struggles which can be heard without being torn into. 

These guys are in the public realm and put themselves on a stage to be seen and discussed. That is part of the job. But I think it's reasonable to talk about the players and not the human being who may be struggling. That's their business.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We mock fajardo because he read too many of his preas clippings and thought he was actually good. 

We don't mock Evans because he struggled and admitted it was a mental thing and sought help. 

Arrogance vs. Humility.

Exactly. Fajardo threw anyone, and everyone, under the bus for his poor play VERY publically, Evans put the blame squarely on himself, and discussed how he needed to get better mentally as he was struggling with that. Big difference. At no point and time did I ever hear Fajardo speak with humility, or come out and state the obvious that he was struggling with the emotions and mental health aspects of the game. Quite the opposite really....hence the ridicule.

One guy knows what the problem is and is trying to fix it, the other guy thinks the problem is everyone else. Makes it pretty easy to determine the difference in attitude towards them.

Edited by GCn20

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We mock fajardo because he read too many of his preas clippings and thought he was actually good. 

We don't mock Evans because he struggled and admitted it was a mental thing and sought help. 

Arrogance vs. Humility.

This!  He was getting bashed well before he started having his meltdowns so the two situations are quite different.  

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

The answer to this question should be be to also not mock Fajardo for any mental health struggles that he may choose to talk about, not to use it as an excuse to also mock Evans.

You can talk about both of their play on the field, CF has a tendency to blame the media and sometimes, fans and teammates, which I think is fair game; but he has also made comments about mental health struggles which can be heard without being torn into. 

These guys are in the public realm and put themselves on a stage to be seen and discussed. That is part of the job. But I think it's reasonable to talk about the players and not the human being who may be struggling. That's their business.

the Faj doesnt have mental health issues...he's just mentally fragile.....thin skinned and doesn't take criticism well...basically just a puss and horrible leader

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Arrogance vs. Humility.

Evan's got mocked more for bein an arsebag...and finger pointer...not for whatever issues he struggled with...big difference.....he did acknowledge after the fact he need to work on things, and be a better leader.....but pouting on sidelines isnt a good look for a "professional" QB...Well any player for that matter

On 2023-03-21 at 9:27 AM, GCn20 said:

With the benefit of hindsight, Cam Judge followed by Geoff Gray are probably the two best picks to make. Cam is who I probably would have chosen. Hard to say if he would have stuck around or left. We have a few players who moved around before coming to the Bombers and committing to us long term. Also, and not to be diminished, is the fact that at the time we chose Gray he was an NFL player. We were lucky he came back to the CFL. OL from Canada have a fairly good rate of hanging around the NFL.

I think most would agree that Judge and Gray are probably the two best players to come out of that draft... and we ended up with one of them... so no matter how is all went down... Bombers made out good in that draft

The Herdmans, Thomas-Erlington, Milanovic-Litre, Picton and Sindani were all taken pretty late in that draft. Boateng fell to the 4th but he had NFL interest iirc. It's funny how some guys either get more chances, or slip through the cracks to later rounds in the CFL draft. It really is a crap shoot. Or maybe it was just a scouting thing as Mike suggested

From 3Downnation:

Kian Schaffer-Baker undergoes hip surgery, projected to miss start of 2023 season for Riders

One of the CFL’s most explosive receivers is not projected to be ready to start the 2023 regular season.

Saskatchewan Roughriders’ general manager Jeremy O’Day told 3DownNation that Kian Schaffer-Baker has undergone an offseason procedure.

“Kian had hip surgery recently. He had an injury that has been bugging him really for the last couple years, it was continuing to get a little bit worse each year. After the NFL tryouts were done, we spoke to him about whether he should get it fixed or not. He had a decision to make: keep playing with the injury, not get better and it continues to get worse or do you get it fixed, come back healthy and continue your career,” O’Day explained.

The 24-year-old worked out for at least nine NFL teams in December and January, including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Las Vegas Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, and Cincinnati Bengals.

“He had a labral tear. With labral tears, they can get worse with time, they don’t really heal on their own. It progressively got worse, it’s something that you can play through, which he has been for the last couple years, but ultimately it’s not going to get better, it’s going to continue to get worse. Better to get it fixed now and we’re happy he’s decided to get it fixed and he’s on the road to recovery,” O’Day said.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

From 3Downnation:

Kian Schaffer-Baker undergoes hip surgery, projected to miss start of 2023 season for Riders

One of the CFL’s most explosive receivers is not projected to be ready to start the 2023 regular season.

Saskatchewan Roughriders’ general manager Jeremy O’Day told 3DownNation that Kian Schaffer-Baker has undergone an offseason procedure.

“Kian had hip surgery recently. He had an injury that has been bugging him really for the last couple years, it was continuing to get a little bit worse each year. After the NFL tryouts were done, we spoke to him about whether he should get it fixed or not. He had a decision to make: keep playing with the injury, not get better and it continues to get worse or do you get it fixed, come back healthy and continue your career,” O’Day explained.

The 24-year-old worked out for at least nine NFL teams in December and January, including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Las Vegas Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, and Cincinnati Bengals.

“He had a labral tear. With labral tears, they can get worse with time, they don’t really heal on their own. It progressively got worse, it’s something that you can play through, which he has been for the last couple years, but ultimately it’s not going to get better, it’s going to continue to get worse. Better to get it fixed now and we’re happy he’s decided to get it fixed and he’s on the road to recovery,” O’Day said.

that is a bit of a stretch....maybe one of the CFL's more over rated/hyped be more fitting

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

From 3Downnation:

Citation needed...

12 hours ago, Booch said:

that is a bit of a stretch....maybe one of the CFL's more over rated/hyped be more fitting

There's a bit of bias here. He's definitely shown his ability to make a play out of nothing. Did he do it on a regular basis....no...seems like it may have been injury related. Change his colors from green to blue and there'd be a lot of excuse making for him here.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

There's a bit of bias here. He's definitely shown his ability to make a play out of nothing. Did he do it on a regular basis....no...seems like it may have been injury related. Change his colors from green to blue and there'd be a lot of excuse making for him here.

I dunno....horrible route runner...and not polished as a true receiver...and many here have cut up and spit out less than stellar blue and gold players

any player can show a play here and there with some potential and ability...now can they sustain it, and build on it?..thats the true question....he hasnt done anything since his arrival to show more...and actually almost platued....was it from this injury?...maybe...maybe not....but it isnt an injury that would cause his hands to be average at best, nor his basic knowledge of route trees and how to navigate them...also...is it because he was in a lousy system, with a poor QB and horrid O-line...who knows....but there are many other Canadian receivers I would want or take before him...injury or no injury

"We know that for some, buying tickets to a game or a concert can be a big financial commitment, and we want to ensure that everyone has the ability to enjoy a meal at our stadium,” said Chris May, BC Place General Manager.

“We want fans to know they have options – whether it’s a Slow Roasted Prime Rib sandwich or a beer and hotdog for $10. The $5 Menu helps ensure there is something for everyone.”

It says the $5 menu is in effect immediately"

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/03/22/bc-place-beer-menu/

11 hours ago, Booch said:

I dunno....horrible route runner...and not polished as a true receiver...and many here have cut up and spit out less than stellar blue and gold players

any player can show a play here and there with some potential and ability...now can they sustain it, and build on it?..thats the true question....he hasnt done anything since his arrival to show more...and actually almost platued....was it from this injury?...maybe...maybe not....but it isnt an injury that would cause his hands to be average at best, nor his basic knowledge of route trees and how to navigate them...also...is it because he was in a lousy system, with a poor QB and horrid O-line...who knows....but there are many other Canadian receivers I would want or take before him...injury or no injury

Reminds me of an early / poor man’s demski. A lot of guys with the elusive tool fail to take steps forward. It’s easy to lean on it and expect it to save you every time. But it only becomes less effective the longer you play. 

I love watching shifty guys play at any level. But in this age of football high risk high reward players are a tough sell. But it’s a nice spot to be in if he’s your no3 option. Wouldn’t crack our roster though. 

On 2023-03-22 at 7:04 AM, 17to85 said:

Arrogance vs. Humility.

That is the worst answer ever. You hate Fajardo & mock him because he was a Rider. That's it. If Evans had played for Saskatchewan then he'd be on your Hit List & not Fajardo. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Reminds me of an early / poor man’s demski. A lot of guys with the elusive tool fail to take steps forward. It’s easy to lean on it and expect it to save you every time. But it only becomes less effective the longer you play. 

I love watching shifty guys play at any level. But in this age of football high risk high reward players are a tough sell. But it’s a nice spot to be in if he’s your no3 option. Wouldn’t crack our roster though. 

1. He put up better last year in his second year than Demskii has in any year of his career. 

2. He would easily make our roster. 2nd best Canadian receiver in the game last year behind Gittens while playing on a lousy team. Just more irrational knee-jerk Rider hate talking. 

9 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

1. He put up better last year in his second year than Demskii has in any year of his career. 

2. He would easily make our roster. 2nd best Canadian receiver in the game last year behind Gittens while playing on a lousy team. Just more irrational knee-jerk Rider hate talking. 

We have more numbers than yards receiving ya know.

demski put up a combined 923 yards in 13 games for 71 yards per game with 10 tds and 75% catch rate. Averaging a td every .77 games.  
 Vs bakers 1034 in 18 games for 57.44 per game with 5 tds and 69% catch rate. That’s .27 tds per game. 

0 multi td games for baker to 3 for demski.  that with baker being the no1 target in ssk and demski being no3 for about half his games and no2 target for the other half. 

Then you have to factor in that demski is one of the best blocking wrs in the league and the single biggest difference making wr with out the ball in his hands in the league. Last year demski had more tds than baker has in his career. 30 games vs 13.

Then you know wins are also a stat too. People love to attribute them to qbs but win shares are not just a qb stat and demski has far more. Demski also made west division all star over baker. 

but yes despite all the stats that demski crushed baker in, baker put up more rec yards. 

demski>baker and it’s not even remotely close. Baker has a lot of football ahead of him but he’s got a long way to go to catch demski. Baker wouldn’t make the bombers roster. Woli plays a role blocking and providing very secure hands. Demski does way too much more and is better at just about everything. Baker wouldn’t get half the pass attempts in our offense. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That is the worst answer ever. You hate Fajardo & mock him because he was a Rider. That's it. If Evans had played for Saskatchewan then he'd be on your Hit List & not Fajardo. 

No I mock him because he bought into the hype despite his many flaws and then when predictably things started going poorly he continued to act like it was all things outside his control. I was harder on Evans too until he opened up about his challenges and sought help for it. That's the entire difference. Honestly I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to rider players who aren't total ass clowns. It's always been the fans that are the biggest issue there. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

We have more numbers than yards receiving ya know.

demski put up a combined 923 yards in 13 games for 71 yards per game with 10 tds and 75% catch rate. Averaging a td every .77 games.  
 Vs bakers 1034 in 18 games for 57.44 per game with 5 tds and 69% catch rate. That’s .27 tds per game. 

0 multi td games for baker to 3 for demski.  that with baker being the no1 target in ssk and demski being no3 for about half his games and no2 target for the other half. 

Then you have to factor in that demski is one of the best blocking wrs in the league and the single biggest difference making wr with out the ball in his hands in the league. Last year demski had more tds than baker has in his career. 30 games vs 13.

Then you know wins are also a stat too. People love to attribute them to qbs but win shares are not just a qb stat and demski has far more. Demski also made west division all star over baker. 

but yes despite all the stats that demski crushed baker in, baker put up more rec yards. 

demski>baker and it’s not even remotely close. Baker has a lot of football ahead of him but he’s got a long way to go to catch demski. Baker wouldn’t make the bombers roster. Woli plays a role blocking and providing very secure hands. Demski does way too much more and is better at just about everything. Baker wouldn’t get half the pass attempts in our offense. 

You think a 24 year old 6’4” Canadian receiver who came close to 1,000 yards last year would not make this roster over Wolitarsky? RIIIIGHT. And One thing Demski is not better at so far is staying healthy. We’ll agree to disagree, but I’m pretty confident if KSB donned blue and gold there’s be a few erection memes on this board. Just because TSN and 3 Down overhype him doesn’t mean you have to lowball his talent to balance the scales. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever