2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Dru is still a great unknown. He grew a lot last year and offers about as much hope as a guy can with so few reps. 
 Dane is trying to show he still has a great deal to show. He’s a good guy and better than the average qb2. But man it’s looking like jonathon Jennings 2.0

Evans problem are the demons in his head. If he doesn't get control of that then he'll be of no use to anyone. He's beginning to run out of time. Once he was considered being on the cusp of becoming an elite qb Now he's become a journeyman backup.

He obviouisly lost Orlando Steinhauer's respect & his patience or he'd have released him earlier to find a team as a free agent. As it stands, the Lions gave up some later picks in the 2024 CFL Draft. Kinda like the Bombers deal with Edmonton to get Mattt Nichols. The Bombers gave up a 7th round pick & a bag of football to the Esks (their name at the time). Nichols sure made the best of things. Only another major foot injury ended his career. He was playing weel before he got hurt & was never the same afterwards. 

Will Evans do the same? Will he resurrect his career? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The comparison between Willy and Evans is because they're both pocket passers who showed ability as a starter but the pressure they faced and hits they took got them off their game. 

Willy was one tough quarterback. He took a lot of **** from an inferior line, Maybe the worst all time in the CFL when he started here. As well as **** from the Bomber fanbase. It was a brutal gig for the guy to play here & yet he did. Evans? He'd get smacked around a bit & fall apart blaming everyone but himself. There's no comparison between the two. Seeing just how good our OL has become, I wonder how he'd have done if he played today. Evans is soft. 

The difference between Evans and Willy is that Evans actually played some decent football last year. Once Willy got rattled it was a complete disaster. Both men got shell-shocked but Evans hasn't rolled as far down the hill as Willy did. 

I think Evans behind a good OL can save his career. I never thought that about Willy.

Edited by GCn20

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Willy never had a chance... Never had an OL until it was too late. If Willy had had a decent OL to start he could have been at least Dane Evans. 

Maybe...but he panicked and completely lost composure at even the sight of a DL even when they were protecting him. I never saw that from Evans. He just made some awful decisions under pressure. Willy was a hot mess and never rebounded.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe...but he panicked and completely lost composure at even the sight of a DL even when they were protecting him. I never saw that from Evans. He just made some awful decisions under pressure. Willy was a hot mess and never rebounded.

Add to the fact he should of watched some Danny Mac film...get the ******* ball out already ,man he had a slow release.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

This debate about Willy and Evans has drilled home to me that the next 3 months can't elapse fast enough.

What did you think of Willy when we traded him to you for the king's ransom that started paving the way towards our dynasty?

44 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

What did you think of Willy when we traded him to you for the king's ransom that started paving the way towards our dynasty?

I had no idea that anyone held Faith Ekakite, TJ Heath and Daniel Petermann in such high esteem.

For me, I was hopeful that Willy could have been another successful graduate of the Ray/Milanovich/Brady era where we seemed to be supplying half the league with QBs. Turned out, notsomuch.

Edited by bluto

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I had no idea that anyone held Faith Ekakite, TJ Heath and Daniel Petermann in such high esteem.

For me, I was hopeful that Willy could have been another successful graduate of the Ray/Milanovich/Brady era where we seemed to be supplying half the league with QBs. Turned out, notsomuch.

1st overall draft pick, 3rd round pick, and TJ Heath is what we got for Willy. Doesn't matter how those draft picks turned out. The fact we had 1st overall allowed us to take a flyer at 8 and get Gray who is now part of our league best OL. Petey gave us excellent depth, and played some good football for us. Heath was an all star. Compared to what we gave up.....yea...a king's ransom in return for a broken QB.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

I'd argue TJ heath had more impact in his CFL career than Drew Willy. Petermann was a very very solid backup CDN and provided depth where we needed it badly. Feel free to mock that trade, but it was part of the foundation that started the current reign of domination you're under now. Yes I know, Argos got one on them. But no team has won more games than the Bombers since 2016. And that trade was part of it.

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd argue TJ heath had more impact in his CFL career than Drew Willy. Petermann was a very very solid backup CDN and provided depth where we needed it badly. Feel free to mock that trade, but it was part of the foundation that started the current reign of domination you're under now. Yes I know, Argos got one on them. But no team has won more games than the Bombers since 2016. And that trade was part of it.

Yep...Heath was an all star for us, Petermann made a lot of clutch plays and was great on the teams, Faith was a bust but his draft position directly led to us selecting Geoff Gray, even though he had signed in the NFL already.  Having the freedom to take a futures pick was huge to our build. Gray is a solid starter, and was easily the league's best 6th OL before that. If we don't have one, we gotta pick more conservatively at 8 and that entire draft was a bust really. Only 3-4 really good players out of it.

Edited by GCn20

Honestly I'd never thought of the deal as anything that amounted to much. Certainly for us, but I really didn't see a great profit for the Bombers in it. We had to pay a price for a guy who some thought may have become our next starting QB after Ricky finished. He absolutely did not.

Bombers have the most wins in the league and 2 'Ships since then. Was the trade a fundamental part of building that run? I'd say not. People are welcome to disagree.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Honestly I'd never thought of the deal as anything that amounted to much. Certainly for us, but I really didn't see a great profit for the Bombers in it. We had to pay a price for a guy who some thought may have become our next starting QB after Ricky finished. He absolutely did not.

Bombers have the most wins in the league and 2 'Ships since then. Was the trade a fundamental part of building that run? I'd say not. People are welcome to disagree.

The assests they got and the assest they got rid of certainly was. Willy was a high salary bench warmer at that point. Bombers needed to shore up the D that year and build depth moving forward. This also cemented Nichols as the starting QB. We didn't win a cup BECASUE of this trade, but it was absolutely a fundamental part of getting the team to the place it needed to get to.