2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

On 2023-03-13 at 4:42 PM, Booch said:

Harris will prob put up the empty hollow yards like he did with the Schmoes now he back in the West...good between the 25 yards lines...but limited TD's...especially with a receiving group that doesn't have a game breaker who can score from any point on the field....and oh yeah that O-line and less than par coaching staff...who's the O.C again??

Harris's dinking and dunking will depend on how close his defence can keep him in games. If teams are up by two scores at half time he will have to attempt to push the ball downfield, when that happens he is going to be throwing interceptions or taking sacks.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t get the fascination with having an east coast team. 10 teams border to border doesn’t add any thing. But having an expansive team flop in a couple years because they don’t have the owners market size infrastructure etc would be a big blow. Not to mention the possibility of a team playing in a 10-15kish stadium that’s half empty. 

Atlantic Canada is an untapped market that has a fair amount of potential based on the relative success of the Touchdown Atlantic Series.

If the CFL aspires to have ten franchises, and all indications were pre-2020 that was on the table, that region seems like the most suitable option.

How that all plays out is anyone's guess at this point, but it seems like a priority for the commissioner all the same. It'll be a part of his legacy, for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Atlantic Canada is an untapped market that has a fair amount of potential based on the relative success of the Touchdown Atlantic Series.

If the CFL aspires to have ten franchises, and all indications were pre-2020 that was on the table, that region seems like the most suitable option.

How that all plays out is anyone's guess at this point, but it seems like a priority for the commissioner all the same. It'll be a part of his legacy, for better or worse.

The Lloydminster Saskbertas beg to differ.

43 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Tda was mostly rough rider fans though let’s be honest. If it had been bc and ott they wouldn’t have had half the people in town. 
 I just don’t see it. Maybe I’m blind to the potential out there but I just don’t see it. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

10 teams helps avoid pants on head ******** schedules

With the cfl schedule maker we will always see stupid ass schedules. Could be 2 or 20 teams. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Per TSN's Marshall Ferguson:

% of #CFLDraft picks still on roster today,

⚓️ #Argos - 47.8%

🌾 #Riders - 36.5%

🐯 #Ticats - 34.7%

🐴 #Stampeders - 34.3%

🦁 #BCLions - 34.0%

🪓 #Redblacks - 33.3%

🦌 #Elks - 30.6%

✈️ #Bombers - 27.9%

🐦 #MontreALS - 25.4%

Yep, it's tough when your draft picks play so well that they go to the NFL, or price themselves out of the market for us. Lucky for us players want to be here so replacing the excellence we lose does not hurt us as much.

Kind of useless though without context. What draft? How many drafts? Equal number of picks for all teams?

Edited by GCn20

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yep, it's tough when your draft picks play so well that they go to the NFL, or price themselves out of the market for us. Lucky for us players want to be here so replacing the excellence we lose does not hurt us as much.

This wasn't about the quality of a team's picks or their national players. Just about who is retaining their picks.

45 minutes ago, bluto said:

This wasn't about the quality of a team's picks or their national players. Just about who is retaining their picks.

Yep. I’d love to see a league wide retention rate for teams draft picks. I bet it’d be almost completely flipped. 
 It does need to be said though that the argos success is largely based on ni quality and depth. 

On one hand it sucks to lose guys. But on the other it’s great for the team and the league to have guys like kongbo, desjarlais, and Alford down south. When those fringe nfl Canadians, d2 guys and high end candian prospects look at the league they can see examples where they dont have to start to succeed but can earn key play time right away and make the nfl in a hurry. And if it doesn’t work out get paid like mad to come back. 

the big difference between xfl usfl and the cfl is the cfl gets a ton of fringe nfl players. The xfl and usfl are still getting mostly fringe cfl players. 

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

No owner, no plan to build a proper stadium, no evidence of sponsorship support, lots of reasons to think Atlantic Canada isn't a good market.

100%. I also don’t see the fan base or demand from locals. 
 Most western cities  with out a sports team (and maybe some in none gta ontario, maybe laval) would be ecstatic at the chance to have a cfl franchise. You’d see a ground swell of support from fans, business and govt. 

out side of the riderfans travelling and doing what they always do the rest of td Atlantic seemed very meh. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Great....but again, there is absolutely no context to discern what he is talking about. One year? Last year? Last 5 years? Last hundred years? Just a cryptic stat that means absolutely nothing. Just a waste of everyone's time who had to look at it really. 

Only variable that matters is who has the best NAT talent as it can come from many avenues. Drafting is just one. Teams who retained 50% of there draft picks in say the last 2 years may have done so because their cupboards were bare. Whereas a team like ours only has a very limited amount of NAT roster space to be contested. Stats like Ferguson's one you submitted really don't tell us anything of value just that some teams signed and kept more of their draft picks than others. Why that happened is significantly more important and this context should be added to any stat like the one above.

We have signed most of our draft picks over the last several years, many of them were not good enough to be retained because the bar is a little higher here and many left after a few years because they were too good for this league, and still others are out there unsigned because they were futures picks.

Even though we retained (over an unspecified period of time) 27% of our draft picks, our drafting success is at the top of this league imo. We literally created a juggernaut of a team with no small part due to great drafting.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Great....but again, there is absolutely no context to discern what he is talking about. One year? Last year? Last 5 years? Last hundred years? Just a cryptic stat that means absolutely nothing. Just a waste of everyone's time who had to look at it really.

% of #CFLDraft picks still on roster today,

I really don't think it matters how many drafts or how many years... it's all about how many Draft picks are still on the roster today.

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

% of #CFLDraft picks still on roster today,

I really don't think it matters how many drafts or how many years... it's all about how many Draft picks are still on the roster today.

It does matter. Teams will ebb and flow on draft pick retention based on need as one factor. Are teams retaining players because they are good or are they retaining them because they can't get anyone better. Is this a 5 year sample or a one year...very important.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, bluto said:

No.  No it is not.  This is about Ontario-born players moving closer to home.  I just read the twitter thread.

Also, Ferguson is using info from the last 6 drafts.

Edited by Wideleft

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Clarification below:

The last six draft years.

Great. So for the past 6 years our NAT talent has been so strong and stable that we have been able to cut a lot of guys, and have guys move onto the NFL. That's what I get out of this kind of useless exercise. Sounds about right as 2017 on our NAT talent was at or very near the top of the league. Like I stated earlier, in order to retain a high amount of draft picks a team has to have players they are willing to replace.

Edited by GCn20

Veteran QB Dane Evans takes team-friendly contract to join B.C. Lions - The 29-year-old will earn $94,000 in hard money behind Vernon Adams Jr. this season as part of his agreement. That includes a $70,200 base salary, $13,800 in housing money and a $10,000 signing bonus.

From: https://3downnation.com/2023/03/16/veteran-qb-dane-evans-takes-team-friendly-contract-to-join-b-c-lions/

Regarding retaining of draft pics.......I guess we've done fairly well  judging by the talent we have retained and the Cup games we've played in recently....Facts and figures should ,such as this, equate to success on the field ....as that's what the name of the game is....Nice to retain all high level pics ....but if you're continually treading water as a club...what good are they....So many variables besides numbers

22 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Regarding retaining of draft pics.......I guess we've done fairly well  judging by the talent we have retained and the Cup games we've played in recently....Facts and figures should ,such as this, equate to success on the field ....as that's what the name of the game is....Nice to retain all high level pics ....but if you're continually treading water as a club...what good are they....So many variables besides numbers

For sure. Every team drafts 7 rounds, some team need that many some teams don't.