2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

42 minutes ago, bluto said:

https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/1628840078297505792?s=20

Talk out of the Argos is pretty much everything you'd expect right now. Maybe they even believe it, but even if they didn't they'd pretty much have to say what they  are saying:

-They were aware of MBT's plans for some time

-They are comfortable with Chad. Chad is a Chad.

Me? This is where I am right now: Like if Team Red Bull built the best car in Formula 1 and Verstappen leaves them and they just give the keys to a promising driver who has only been in one F1 race. Unthinkable.

Yeah they really had no choice but to say those things. But I have a hard time believing Pinball and Dinwiddie actually feel confident about their QB situation. They have to know that you need a vet qb on the roster somewhere...just ask Mike Kelly how well things go when you don't.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

No I didn't.

Was happy to be shut up by McLeod down the stretch. Maybe Kelly will make me eat my words on this one... I'd be very happy to. But I am struggling with how we put this team together that looks so ready to roll and now our presumed QB1 has less than 100 snaps in the CFL. That's beyond a head scratcher.

I was just getting to the point where I felt great confidence in our GM-By-Committee and the team they'd assembled... Now IDK what is coming. And sure, Dinwiddie knows the QB position in our league very well... and by now he knows Chad Kelly very well... But you can absolutely say the same about how well he knew Nick Arbuckle when (some say) he made us acquire him.

It is a strange move for a defending team trying to turn around a market. I never felt like mbt took a step forward this year. It seemed like he was ready to revert to poor performance any time after any game quarter or stretch of good play.

Yeah MBT was very hit and miss...more miss than hit...and prob last guy you would want mentoring a new to the CFL QB..

Kelly will be as raw as raw can be...and is gonna struggle once teams see a few games of him as the full time starter

And man if he falters...or gets hurt...who's behind him?? 

They gonna be in a world of hurt..and is Harris the lead back there too this yr? Ouch

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah MBT was very hit and miss...more miss than hit...and prob last guy you would want mentoring a new to the CFL QB..

Kelly will be as raw as raw can be...and is gonna struggle once teams see a few games of him as the full time starter

And man if he falters...or gets hurt...who's behind him?? 

They gonna be in a world of hurt..and is Harris the lead back there too this yr? Ouch

No, they brought back the guy from last year who took over when Harris got hurt. He'll be splitting time at best... 

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Last years grey cup was 158k, the other play off games were in the 100k range the bombers elk game did 150k. Lots of 100k games from what I can see. 
But that’s also with zero marketing or advertising. 

Here? Man I don’t see that at all. 

Low numbers on ESPN but also 0 dollars in production costs for them.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/1628840078297505792?s=20

Talk out of the Argos is pretty much everything you'd expect right now. Maybe they even believe it, but even if they didn't they'd pretty much have to say what they  are saying:

-They were aware of MBT's plans for some time

-They are comfortable with Chad. Chad is a Chad.

Me? This is where I am right now: Like if Team Red Bull built the best car in Formula 1 and Verstappen leaves them and they just give the keys to a promising driver who has only been in one F1 race. Unthinkable.

You are overstating how good your team is. Toronto with MBT would have been very slight favorites to win the East. There is one Ferrari in this league right now and it ain't Toronto, everyone else is 2nd tier in comparison. On any given Sunday these teams can win, but let's be perfectly clear if the CFL playoffs were a best out of 5 they might as well hand the cup to the Bombers right now.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks/edmonton-elks-offering-season-seats-to-families-of-four-for-under-300?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1677013597

Thats a pretty sweet deal! They have lots of unused space, great way to get families  with youth involved and create great memories. If the Elks even can create a little excitement on the field 

If Evans is taking a Dom Davis based salary, I am honestly shocked that the Riders didn't go after him as well to 1b Harris. Seems like a whiffed opportunity by them yet again. 

Toronto was NEVER getting Evans for less than a 1st round pick imo. They dealt him West for peanuts, but there is no chance in the world that they were giving Toronto an experienced starter without extracting their pound of flesh.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah they really had no choice but to say those things. But I have a hard time believing Pinball and Dinwiddie actually feel confident about their QB situation. They have to know that you need a vet qb on the roster somewhere...just ask Mike Kelly how well things go when you don't.

This has to be seen as an absolutely worst case scenario by them. No QBs left to dance with, and a virtually rookie QB as a starter that has a pretty poor reputation as a leader and team player.

8 hours ago, coach17 said:

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks/edmonton-elks-offering-season-seats-to-families-of-four-for-under-300?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1677013597

Thats a pretty sweet deal! They have lots of unused space, great way to get families  with youth involved and create great memories. If the Elks even can create a little excitement on the field 

Nice , but that's a team that hasn't won at home in, what?, two seasons? So, it's kind of to be expected. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

Nice , but that's a team that hasn't won at home in, what?, two seasons? So, it's kind of to be expected. 

I think I've told the story before where the Stamps refuse to do what the Bombers do. To have a 3 or 5 game flex pack. They have no special packages for families. The club used to have the Safeway & London Drugs Family Section where a ticket was $30 at one of those stores. They had them for years but Safeway no longer sells those tickets. There's virtually no marketing/advertising for tickets of any kind. It's no wonder the team didn't have more than 15-18,000 at most games last year. The Stamps have to be the worst (laziest? cheapest??) team in the CFL.

Speaking of Flex Packs, I have to decide if I'm going to renew my 3 game pack. I got a call from the Bombers last week asking me what I was going to do. I want to renew but I have a knee replacement booked at the Rockyview Hospital on April 19th. I won't be able to travel for 6-8 weeks as I could be at risk for a blood clot. Then I'll have to do some pretty intense physio to get my range of motion back in my knee. So, by the time I can actually go to a game it'll be September. I'm hoping to get to the Banjo Bowl. That's my goal. Go to the Banjo Bowl. I'll probably give up my Flex Pack for 2023. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think I've told the story before where the Stamps refuse to do what the Bombers do. To have a 3 or 5 game flex pack. They have no special packages for families. The club used to have the Safeway & London Drugs Family Section where a ticket was $30 at one of those stores. They had them for years but Safeway no longer sells those tickets. There's virtually no marketing/advertising for tickets of any kind. It's no wonder the team didn't have more than 15-18,000 at most games last year. The Stamps have to be the worst (laziest? cheapest??) team in the CFL.

Speaking of Flex Packs, I have to decide if I'm going to renew my 3 game pack. I got a call from the Bombers last week asking me what I was going to do. I want to renew but I have a knee replacement booked at the Rockyview Hospital on April 19th. I won't be able to travel for 6-8 weeks as I could be at risk for a blood clot. Then I'll have to do some pretty intense physio to get my range of motion back in my knee. So, by the time I can actually go to a game it'll be September. I'm hoping to get to the Banjo Bowl. That's my goal. Go to the Banjo Bowl. I'll probably give up my Flex Pack for 2023. 

Good luck on the knee replacement- I am envious. I have been waiting for almost 31 months. Two weeks ago I received a letter stating I could have the procedure sooner if I was willing to go to Cleveland, Fargo or Ontario, but.....travel, meals and any accommodation would not be covered for me or any companion. 

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

Good luck on the knee replacement- I am envious. I have been waiting for almost 31 months. Two weeks ago I received a letter stating I could have the procedure sooner if I was willing to go to Cleveland, Fargo or Ontario, but.....travel, meals and any accommodation would not be covered for me or any companion. 

I supposed to get mine replaced...well they told me that 10 yrs ago...been holding off...dropped 30 pounds or so of playing weight and eleviated some the discomfort...but was wondering the wait time..u in Winnipeg? 

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

I supposed to get mine replaced...well they told me that 10 yrs ago...been holding off...dropped 30 pounds or so of playing weight and eleviated some the discomfort...but was wondering the wait time. .u in Winnipeg? 

Have had two acquaintances who had bad experiences in Ontario  so a no-go there. I am in Winnipeg.

Edited by Tracker

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

What? Is this a Manitoba problem? That's terrible. Having to go to Cleveland?? You can say what you want about Alberta politics but I've never heard that option being mentioned to anyone on a waiting list here. My orthopedic surgeon has a waiting list of a year. It took me 3 months to see him this time. I didn't need another referral as he already knew me & kept it open for me to get my knee done when I was ready. He has wanted me to have the surgery since I first saw him in late 2018. I guess I'm lucky. I hope things work out for you getting your knee done much sooner than later. 

4 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Interesting, Jacksonville re-signs CJ Beathard to backup Trevor Lawrence.  I wonder how fair a shot Rourke will get at #2 QB.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/jaguars-extend-c-j-beathard/

He's finished before he started. Beathard is Number 2 in stone. The articles I've read don't even mention Rourke.