2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

One thing I've wondered about this... and I haven't seen it addressed anywhere... is why is the kid going from Div 1 NCAA to CIS... is there more to the story they're not mentioning?

that was my first thought, too.... wondering if it's an academic thing or what......

38 minutes ago, JCon said:

Probably fell down the depth chart and a younger recruit took his scholarship. 

This might be the reasoning.

"Head coach Brian Dobie credited defensive line coach Shaq Armstrong, who is Goods’ cousin, for helping recruit him to the Bisons."

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/17/lamar-goods-highly-touted-son-of-former-cfl-all-star-bennie-goods-transfers-to-manitoba-bisons/

Article claims he's a native of Fort McMurray and played for Team Canada’s U-18 national team in 2018 at the age of 16, so he's a Natl.

but still.... if you're a Div 1 guy who has a legit shot at the NFL, jumping over to the CIS (regardless of family connections) is not the right path to getting to the NFL. But, maybe he realized he wasn't going to the NFL and was more concerned about getting into the CFL? I dunno, but something odd anyhow...

57 minutes ago, Noeller said:

but still.... if you're a Div 1 guy who has a legit shot at the NFL, jumping over to the CIS (regardless of family connections) is not the right path to getting to the NFL. But, maybe he realized he wasn't going to the NFL and was more concerned about getting into the CFL? I dunno, but something odd anyhow...

Don't have a shot at the NFL if you're not playing.

Look at Akiem Hicks.

On 2023-01-17 at 10:23 AM, TBURGESS said:

I got Pipkins salary wrong, he only saves them $80K. Using last years SMS hits... Pipkin @ $80K, Adams @ $75K, Rourke @ $71K, Burnham @ $165K = $391K of SMS savings. Is that the math that you wanted me to do?

Yes, math is good. Your figures are not though. First of all, Rourke's cap hit last year was only around 40k as he was 6 gamed twice and then ended the season as being the Lions bring back (one per each half of the season) that didn't count against the cap so subtract 30k from you "savings". Secondly, Burnham is not 165k in savings. He is 165 minus the cost of replacement which is at bare minimum 70k. That puts his cap savings at 95k if they go with a complete rookie at minimum salary. Thirdly, you nor I know whether Pipkin will remain a Lion. Therefore you are counting SMS savings that do not currently exist. There is a very good chance they bring him back, but if they don't you still need to factor in cost of replacement which makes it a wash because he was making bottom of the barrell money. So...here is the math...with the actual correct context and based on player coming in at bare minimum as replacements.

Pipkin 80k..replacement 80k...net 0

Burnham 165k - replacement 70k - 95k savings

Rourke- 40k - replacement qb 70k - net 30k loss

Adams 75k - 2022 - 370k - net 295k loss

Therefore your 391k of savings, although calculated mathematically correct, was containing figures out of context. Here is the REAL math.

95k -30k-295k that creates not a savings of 391k like your made up scenario, but an actual bare minimum shortfall of 230k from last year....and this is assuming that the Lions will roll with a 2nd string QB, 3rd string QB, and starting IMP receiver making league mins which is highly unlikely. So wrap your head around that for awhile and continue sticking your head in the sand and suggesting losing Rourke's league minimum salary doesn't make a big difference on their SMS.

Whenever you are counting "savings" you need to always factor in cost of replacement as someone has to take those roster spots. The cheapest amount is league minimum and that is the very least for every single player that must be used when calculating savings. Realistically, the Lions QB room at ALL 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string will come in higher than last year.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yes, math is good. Your figures are not though. First of all, Rourke's cap hit last year was only around 40k as he was 6 gamed twice and then ended the season as being the Lions bring back (one per each half of the season) that didn't count against the cap so subtract 30k from you "savings". Secondly, Burnham is not 165k in savings. He is 165 minus the cost of replacement which is at bare minimum 70k. That puts his cap savings at 95k if they go with a complete rookie at minimum salary. Thirdly, you nor I know whether Pipkin will remain a Lion. Therefore you are counting SMS savings that do not currently exist. There is a very good chance they bring him back, but if they don't you still need to factor in cost of replacement which makes it a wash because he was making bottom of the barrell money. So...here is the math...with the actual correct context and based on player coming in at bare minimum as replacements.

Pipkin 80k..replacement 80k...net 0

Burnham 165k - 70k - 95k

Rourke- 40k - replacement qb 70k

Adams 75k - 2022 - 370k

Therefore your 391k of savings, although calculated mathematically correct, was containing figures out of context. Here is the REAL math.

95k -30k-295k that creates not a savings of 391k like your made up scenario, but an actual bare minimum shortfall of 230k from last year....and this is assuming that the Lions will roll with a backup, 3rd string, and starting IMP receiver making league mins which is highly unlikely. So wrap your head around that for awhile.

Bombers QB's - Collaros $600K + 2 backups.

Lions QB's - VAJ @$350K + 2 backups. 

Therefore the Bombers use $250K more SMS for the QB spot, unless we pay our backups more or less than BC does. 

The real math is that the Lions take the full SMS value of the players off the books, not the net(- 6 game) savings. Example: Collaros gets hurt this year and retires. We get $600K of SMS room, not $600K - the 6 game SMS relief. 

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Therefore the Bombers use $250K more SMS for the QB spot, unless we pay our backups more or less than BC does. 

The real math is that the Lions take the full SMS value of the players off the books, not the net(- 6 game) savings. Example: Collaros gets hurt this year and retires. We get $600K of SMS room, not $600K - the 6 game SMS relief. 

We don't pay a reiver over 200k like lucky will get...or overpay a guard like Chung's 200k plus...

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm thinking about a positive spin on this... maybe he knows he doesn't have high NFL chances... and because he's Canadian he knows he can make a career and be paid well in the CFL... so rather than toiling away as a back up/3rd string in a big Div 1 program... he's going to come to Canada to put some dominant play on film and pump up the CFL interest... you never know  

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm thinking about a positive spin on this... maybe he knows he doesn't have high NFL chances... and because he's Canadian he knows he can make a career and be paid well in the CFL... so rather than toiling away as a back up/3rd string in a big Div 1 program... he's going to come to Canada to put some dominant play on film and pump up the CFL interest... you never know  

It's also interesting that he chose U of M, when he could probably have signed with one of the two U Sport teams in AB and been closer to home.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I had similar thoughts... the bottom line is that he needs game time to have a shot at pro football, regardless of what league he hopes to play in.  

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's also interesting that he chose U of M, when he could probably have signed with one of the two U Sport teams in AB and been closer to home.

I don't find it that unusual.  It's not like he doesn't have ties here too.  His dad finished his CFL career as a Bomber and his cousin coaches for the Bisons.  Goods also hasn't lived in AB for a while (he moved to Connecticut in 2018) so that might not be home for him anymore.

Some interesting info from Naylor about the new guaranteed contracts.  If you're a GM that likes to build through FA rather than draft & develop (Chris Jones, I'm looking at you), it might be a bit of a disadvantage for you as the current team can offer an guarantee to a player but you can't.

32 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Some interesting info from Naylor about the new guaranteed contracts.  If you're a GM that likes to build through FA rather than draft & develop (Chris Jones, I'm looking at you), it might be a bit of a disadvantage for you as the current team can offer an guarantee to a player but you can't.

And that's the whole point.

The league is trying to create some continuity. One of the biggest complaints is how much players move around, you can't even buy a jersey. 

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

And that's the whole point.

The league is trying to create some continuity. One of the biggest complaints is how much players move around, you can't even buy a jersey. 

Agreed, the league has been trying to do this for a while (see Imports qualifying as Nationals) but this piece of information seems to have flown under the radar so I wonder if this has caused some issues for teams and their FA planning. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

If Collaros got hurt in the 3rd game the cap relief would be his per game salary when he's on the 6 game IL, that's it.  Any bonus money already paid would be counted against the cap.  

The CFL cap is cumulative so it's a bit different than the NHL cap which is calculated daily during the season.  You could sign $7 million worth of players as long as you get under the cap at the end of the season.  In the NHL you'd be violating the cap immediately and would have to get under that day.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

On 2023-01-18 at 12:59 PM, JCon said:

That was inevitable but still sad. 

But, it's on Walters, et al, to find the next Mauldin now. 

Why sad? Couldn't care less about Mauldin. If I wanted a big ticket pass rusher in their 30s, I'm glad we're keeping the ones we have already in our system.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Why sad? Couldn't care less about Mauldin. If I wanted a big ticket pass rusher in their 30s, I'm glad we're keeping the ones we have already in our system.

Come on Mike it’s not like he’s 38 he just turned 30 in October, more importantly doesn’t have a lot of mileage on his body, he’s a good football player had 17 sacks last year and was constantly doubles teamed. Would have taken him over Jeffcoat at this stage in their careers absolutely. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

That provision sounds like a Canadian mafia special. 

bodes well for us for sure

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

yeah I didnt realize Mauldin was that old...hard pass...I'm fine with our 2 30 something dudes...I see a big yr from both on a mission this yr...team wont be complacent and are gonna be hungry...and pissed

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Come on Mike it’s not like he’s 38 he just turned 30 in October, more importantly doesn’t have a lot of mileage on his body, he’s a good football player had 17 sacks last year and was constantly doubles teamed. Would have taken him over Jeffcoat at this stage in their careers absolutely. 

I wish there was a way we could compare snap counts between players. I'm not saying Mauldin is overrated. But I'd bet good money his snap counts were significantly higher than anyone else on the bombers (with similar games played) due to the fact that Ottawa's O was trash.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wish there was a way we could compare snap counts between players. I'm not saying Mauldin is overrated. But I'd bet good money his snap counts were significantly higher than anyone else on the bombers (with similar games played) due to the fact that Ottawa's O was trash.

Sounds like something @DTonOB could answer.