2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

On 2022-11-27 at 6:04 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's wrong with knee replacements?? 

Did you know...

Frank Gunston, MD of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada passed away on February 16, 2016 at his home in Brandon, Mb. He is credited with inventing the first artificial knee in 1963. Dr. Gunston worked as an associate of Sir John Charnley, MD through a traveling hip arthroplasty fellowship at Wrightington in Lancashire, England. He became interested in arthritis of the knee after observing hip patients also having pain in their knees. According to the Winnipeg Free Press, Dr. Gunston developed a knee replacement by combining “plastic and metallic elements in a set of tracks, attached to the top of the tibia with matching set of metal inserts fastened to the femur, allowing the joint to work together by moving along a runner.” He was not interested in patenting his work, but instead made it available to everyone. Full story.

https://www.aahks.org/knee-replacement-pioneer-dies-at-82/

3 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

Did you know...

Frank Gunston, MD of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada passed away on February 16, 2016 at his home in Brandon, Mb. He is credited with inventing the first artificial knee in 1963. Dr. Gunston worked as an associate of Sir John Charnley, MD through a traveling hip arthroplasty fellowship at Wrightington in Lancashire, England. He became interested in arthritis of the knee after observing hip patients also having pain in their knees. According to the Winnipeg Free Press, Dr. Gunston developed a knee replacement by combining “plastic and metallic elements in a set of tracks, attached to the top of the tibia with matching set of metal inserts fastened to the femur, allowing the joint to work together by moving along a runner.” He was not interested in patenting his work, but instead made it available to everyone. Full story.

https://www.aahks.org/knee-replacement-pioneer-dies-at-82/

Millions of people like me owe him a debt of gratitude that we never paid off. May Dr. Gunston RIP. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Millions of people like me owe him a debt of gratitude that we never paid off. May Dr. Gunston RIP. 

My Mom was one of those people. After decades on her feet working in personal care homes she had both knees replaced.

Ironically, after having them for some 25+ years, she developed an infection in one of them that turned into sepsis and she passed away in April.

Miss you, Ma.

1 hour ago, Deiter Fan said:

My Mom was one of those people. After decades on her feet working in personal care homes she had both knees replaced.

Ironically, after having them for some 25+ years, she developed an infection in one of them that turned into sepsis and she passed away in April.

Miss you, Ma.

We are given memory that we might have roses in winter.

4 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

Miss you, Ma.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear. My condolences. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I would think that Corey Mace has the inside track, given how his defence smothered the Bomber offence in the Grey Cup.

No wonder Ottawa has struggled on the field when they hire a HC based on one game. 

c2zyhxqA_normal.jpg

Replying to and
It's funny though- had Buck Pierce agreed, the Bombers could've re-hired Paul LaPolice to replace him!

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

c2zyhxqA_normal.jpg

Replying to and
It's funny though- had Buck Pierce agreed, the Bombers could've re-hired Paul LaPolice to replace him!

SnappyThinAcornbarnacle-max-1mb.gif

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/30/discipline-four-players-fined-through-playoff-games/

TORONTO — The CFL has announced the following fines from its playoff games:

• BC Lions offensive lineman Sukh Chungh has been fined for a blindside block on Winnipeg Blue Bombers linebacker Malik Clements.
  • Toronto Argonauts offensive lineman Philip Blake has been fined for a high hit on Montreal Alouettes defensive back Wesley Sutton.
  • Montreal Alouettes defensive lineman Mike Moore has received a maximum fine for verbal abuse of an official.
  • Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Kyle Wilson has been fined for violating the league’s social media policy.

As per league policy, the amounts of the fines were not disclosed.

On 2022-11-29 at 9:52 PM, Tracker said:

I would think that Corey Mace has the inside track, given how his defence smothered the Bomber offence in the Grey Cup.

I wouldn't assume that. HCs are rarely chosen on the basis of what their team did in one game. Corey Mace will have to demonstrate a vision, a plan to implement that vision, and that he is a team player and leader of men. Also, HCs are asked to provide a list of guys they have spoken to that have agreed to join their staffs should they get the job.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I wouldn't assume that. HCs are rarely chosen on the basis of what their team did in one game. Corey Mace will have to demonstrate a vision, a plan to implement that vision, and that he is a team player and leader of men. Also, HCs are asked to provide a list of guys they have spoken to that have agreed to join their staffs should they get the job.

Mace had that Toronto defense playing well all year. It was not a 1 game fluke.

How does Ottawa think that Corey Mace is even close to being ready as HC material?? Bob Dyce is meh- He's a nice guy but not a difference maker as a HC. At least not as much of a difference maker to turn that RedBlacks team around. He was the interim coach in Saskatchewan & Ottawa & the teams never improved much. Mark Washington may be the best of the 3. 

Mace reminds me of Devonne Claybrooks who was a lot better coach becuase of the talent surrounding him in Calgary. When he got to BC as HC he was absolutely lost because the talent on that team wasn't there as he had  with the Stamps. He just wasn't ready to take on being a HC.

I often wonder what the hell is the huge rush to promote young coaches from being a player to a position coach to a head coach in 5 years or less? I do agree that being a HC in the CFL is the pinnacle position an assistant would aspire to. But these coaches need to put the brakes on. Get the experience & pay their dues first.

There's a big difference if a coordinator takes 10 years to become a HC & then is successful in the long run. Or is hurried along after maybe 4-6 years after being a player to quickly go up the coaching ranks & becoming a CFL HC. Then absolutely bomb on a bad team that needs rebuilding. of all those guys Mace is the least exoerienced with just one year as a DC under his belt in Toronto. I doubt if he's ready. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27