2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I was taking a jab at the fact that Osh had to learn how to use tech, when he became an HC. He must have been selling on the 'non tech' side of medical supplies.

He was selling knee and hip replacements he said. But good jab! Lol

He made no bones about saying how computers mystified him and that he had to rely a lot on the kindness of others when he started in coaching.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'm pretty sure Doug Brown does medical sales right now, and Walby *DID* at one point either do medical supply or pharmaceutical sales....

Walby definitely did pharmaceutical sales in the Interlake area.  He used to joke about how many different baby mommas he had to pay.at the time.

49 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

He made no bones about saying how computers mystified him and that he had to rely a lot on the kindness of others when he started in coaching.

What's wrong with knee replacements?? Says the guy who had his right knee replaced in 2019 & is scheduled for my left to get done in the New Year sometime. ;)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

No bones. Also medical. I'll show myself out. 

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Walby definitely did pharmaceutical sales in the Interlake area.  He used to joke about how many different baby mommas he had to pay.at the time.

Chris is a good guy. Lives just up the road on Netley Creek. Big guy, with a bigger heart.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's wrong with knee replacements?? Says the guy who had his right knee replaced in 2019 & is scheduled for my left to get done in the New Year sometime. ;)

I have been waiting for 26 months now for my knee replacement. To tell the truth, the hospitals are now staffed so poorly and the Home Care so financially starved that family members now have to come into hospitals to help the patients with toileting, linen changes, washing up and so forth. A friend who is a retired nurse had to come in and change dressings as well. Its not the staff's fault- its the deliberate strangling of healthcare. If I am called, I think I might wait until next year. I got analgesics.

Edited by Tracker

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

I have been waiting for 26 months now for my knee replacement. To tell the truth, the hospitals are now staffed so poorly and the Home Care so financially starved that family members now have to come into hospitals to help the patients with toileting, linen changes, washing up and so forth. A friend who is a retired nurse had to come in and change dressings as well. Its not the staff's fault- its the deliberate strangling of healthcare. If I am called, I think I might wait until next year. I got analgesics.

I'm lucky that my wife is an RN so I have an advantage when it comes to post surgical recovery. I'm sorry that you had to wait that long for a new knee. MY surgery on my right knee will be only a 10 month wait as I am having my second surgery with the same surgeon. Plus, he's been wanting to replace my left knee as it's a real mess physically. He made sure that I'd be able to get it done whenever I was ready to do it. In other words, I didn't have to be referred again or drop to the bottom of the line for surgery.

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

Do not wait. Manitoba is about to lose one of it's  two knee replacement surgeons to BC. 

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Do not wait. Manitoba is about to lose one of it's  two knee replacement surgeons to BC. 

I am thankful that I am retired and am able to manage my pain, and that is preferable to undergoing surgery in Winnipeg with the state of cleanliness and infection control as it is now. Apparently the province is negotiating to be able to send patients (with a companion) to Thunder Bay or Columbus, Ohio, but I think this is just smoke and will not avail myself of these if offered. BTW: the above-mentioned companion does not have to undergo surgery (😆).

Should older seniors risk major surgery? New research offers guidance
 -Kaiser Health News.

Nearly 1 in 7 older adults die within a year of undergoing major surgery, according to an important new study that sheds much-needed light on the risks seniors face when having invasive procedures.

Especially vulnerable are older patients with probable dementia (33% die within a year) and frailty (28%), as well as those having emergency surgeries (22%). Advanced age also amplifies risk: Patients who were 90 or older were six times as likely to die than those ages 65 to 69.

The study in JAMA Surgery, published by researchers at Yale School of Medicine, addresses a notable gap in research: Though patients 65 and older undergo nearly 40% of all surgeries in the U.S., detailed national data about the outcomes of these procedures has been largely missing.

"As a field, we've been really remiss in not understanding long-term surgical outcomes for older adults," said Dr. Zara Cooper, a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and the director of the Center for Geriatric Surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Of particular importance is information about how many seniors die, develop disabilities, can no longer live independently, or have a significantly worsened quality of life after major surgery.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Should older seniors risk major surgery? New research offers guidance
 -Kaiser Health News.

Nearly 1 in 7 older adults die within a year of undergoing major surgery, according to an important new study that sheds much-needed light on the risks seniors face when having invasive procedures.

Especially vulnerable are older patients with probable dementia (33% die within a year) and frailty (28%), as well as those having emergency surgeries (22%). Advanced agsame thing.e also amplifies risk: Patients who were 90 or older were six times as likely to die than those ages 65 to 69.

The study in JAMA Surgery, published by researchers at Yale School of Medicine, addresses a notable gap in research: Though patients 65 and older undergo nearly 40% of all surgeries in the U.S., detailed national data about the outcomes of these procedures has been largely missing.

"As a field, we've been really remiss in not understanding long-term surgical outcomes for older adults," said Dr. Zara Cooper, a professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School and the director of the Center for Geriatric Surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Of particular importance is information about how many seniors die, develop disabilities, can no longer live independently, or have a significantly worsened quality of life after major surgery.

That's an interesting story. Being a senior, I've actually wondered the same thing. I, unfortunately have arthtis in most joint primarily below the waist so I've had more surgeries than most people have had.

I can walk without pain whereas before my first knee replacement just taking single steps hurt so much. My right knee was in such bad shape by 2019, I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs anymore in a forward direction as it was too painful. Instead I learned to grab the handrail tight & walk down backwards. I've had foot surgeries, shoulder replacement, toe surgeries as well as one right knee replacement.

Over time, I lost my mobility because  of the surgeries, They took their toll on me physically. I can walk slowly over short distances with no pain using a cane for balance. If I hadn't have had these surgeries I'd have been in a far worse place & confined to a wheelchair. The day of surgery more than once I wondered if I was going to wake up. What a thing to think about. As if I didn't have enough pre surgery stress & nervousness to deal with. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's an interesting story. Being a senior, I've actually wondered the same thing. I, unfortunately have arthtis in most joint primarily below the waist so I've had more surgeries than most people have had.

I can walk without pain whereas before my first knee replacement just taking single steps hurt so much. My right knee was in such bad shape by 2019, I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs anymore in a forward direction as it was too painful. Instead I learned to grab the handrail tight & walk down backwards. I've had foot surgeries, shoulder replacement, toe surgeries as well as one right knee replacement.

Over time, I lost my mobility because  of the surgeries, They took their toll on me physically. I can walk slowly over short distances with no pain using a cane for balance. If I hadn't have had these surgeries I'd have been in a far worse place & confined to a wheelchair. The day of surgery more than once I wondered if I was going to wake up. What a thing to think about. As if I didn't have enough pre surgery stress & nervousness to deal with. 

One of the big problems about major surgeries is that a general anaesthetic compromises the immune system for weeks, even months. There may be a non-invasive treatment for arthritis- a long, hot bath with Epsom salts followed by a body rub with...believe it or not, peanut oil. This takes a bit of time but it does work.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

One of the big problems about major surgeries is that a general anaesthetic compromises the immune system for weeks, even months. There may be a non-invasive treatment for arthritis- a long, hot bath with Epsom salts followed by a body rub with...believe it or not, peanut oil. This takes a bit of time but it does work.

Tracker, I'm not as spry as I used to be. ;)

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Tracker, I'm not as spry as I used to be. ;)

Ain't none of us gettin' any younger. Bath tubs can be fitted with grab bars to help in tub entry and exits. I put in a walk-in tub for the wife who has a bad hip. She's not as spry as she usta be, either. I keep telling her that her creaks and aches are just her body's way of telling her that the warranty is almost up. 

Edited by Tracker

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

I am thankful that I am retired and am able to manage my pain, and that is preferable to undergoing surgery in Winnipeg with the state of cleanliness and infection control as it is now. Apparently the province is negotiating to be able to send patients (with a companion) to Thunder Bay or Columbus, Ohio, but I think this is just smoke and will not avail myself of these if offered. BTW: the above-mentioned companion does not have to undergo surgery (😆).

They are already sending people to Dryden for knee surgery. One of our neighbours went in October. Drove out the night before, day surgery at the hospital, left with a drip of local anesthetic to keep it numb/kill the pain and then drove home the next day, stretched out across the back seat with the leg up. Not an ideal solution but better than hobbling around in pain all the time.

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ain't none of us gettin' any younger. Bath tubs can be fitted with grab bars to help in tub entry and exits. I put in a walk-in tub for the wife who has a bad hip. She's not as spry as she usta be, either. I keep telling her that her creaks and aches are just her body's way of telling her that the warranty is almost up. 

Yeah time to trade in for a newer model.....LOL....I know exactly what you mean...arthritis has set in on both my lady and me...Those gawd damn stairs, which we have to negotiate everyday,... are a real killer...Doc says my cartilage is gone on one knee and because I compensate with the other one , it's taking it's toll....Surgery was suggested but I'm the kind of guy that'll tough it out till I can't....Sports have taken their toll over the years....BUT I wouldn't have it any other way

For the benefit of us coots and spouses, you need to be aware of a the "disability" deduction if your arthritis and/or bad knees or other joints significantly impairs your life. Moreover, the spouse can claim the "caregiver" deduction. It doesn't give you back your full functions again, but it helps offset the additional expenses that come with aging, illness and disabilities. You can download it from the government of Canada website and have your doctor fill it out.                The deductions are also applicable for many chronic illnesses like IBS as well as terminal illnesses, and can be applied retroactively for several years- three I think.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I love that the Als have zero f***s to give and just throw up a middle finger at The Gappers....amazing. 

Schadenfreude. Sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

Simpsons Hook It To My Veins GIF - Simpsons Hook It To My Veins Barney -  Discover & Share GIFs

What's more delightful is that a year later the Als beat them again - by a FG.

**** the Riders.

On 2022-11-25 at 6:09 PM, @Geebrr said:

This guy is such a moron. He knows absolutely nothing. He is going solely on what he wants to happen. 

It will be hilarious when the team PXP guy and starting QB won’t talk 😂

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/rob-vanstone-porous-pass-protection-was-contagious-at-mosaic-stadium

Cody Fajardo recently severed a Twitter connection between himself and Michael Ball, CKRM’s voice of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Finally, there is evidence of a Roughrider blocking somebody.

Edited by WinnipegGordo