2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Wonder if oshea moves upstairs to Wade's spot. Lol

From Our Man Tait's wonderful piece: 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/11/24/theyve-built-something-very-cool-here/?fbclid=IwAR1JZnJaYqHVswja5--ToFgMi-f0nvgXySqpOdQ8-V8365vxA9gQETLBtZg

O’Shea was also quizzed about his interest in potentially taking on more management duties – like Wally Buono, Cal Murphy and others before him – but wouldn’t even entertain that thought.

“I’ve never been in a position and been thinking about another position,” he said. “You’ve heard me say it 100 times if I’ve said it once: as a player I never thought about being a coach. I never critiqued coaches; I never did anything like that. I was, ‘You’re the coach. You tell me what to do. I do it.’

“I have my role and I solely focus on my role. I really do. And I don’t even entertain ideas of other roles because that’s not where I’m at right now. I try to stay as present as possible. To me, that makes it pretty easy.”

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

From Our Man Tait's wonderful piece: 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/11/24/theyve-built-something-very-cool-here/?fbclid=IwAR1JZnJaYqHVswja5--ToFgMi-f0nvgXySqpOdQ8-V8365vxA9gQETLBtZg

O’Shea was also quizzed about his interest in potentially taking on more management duties – like Wally Buono, Cal Murphy and others before him – but wouldn’t even entertain that thought.

“I’ve never been in a position and been thinking about another position,” he said. “You’ve heard me say it 100 times if I’ve said it once: as a player I never thought about being a coach. I never critiqued coaches; I never did anything like that. I was, ‘You’re the coach. You tell me what to do. I do it.’

“I have my role and I solely focus on my role. I really do. And I don’t even entertain ideas of other roles because that’s not where I’m at right now. I try to stay as present as possible. To me, that makes it pretty easy.”

For the record - I don’t think MOS is moving up into another role - he’s our coach and will be for some time. 

That said, the quote doesn’t say anything. He didn’t think about coaching while he was playing…until he became a coach…

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

For the record - I don’t think MOS is moving up into another role - he’s our coach and will be for some time. 

That said, the quote doesn’t say anything. He didn’t think about coaching while he was playing…until he became a coach…

O'Shea knows he has a contract waiting so he feels no pressure to get it signed. I think he signs within the next 2 weeks, 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd be very happy if Matthew Schilz could be signed as a backup to Collaros. Not convinced Dru Brown is the man. 

this is a hot, borderline insane, take. Dru Brown looked great vs BC at the end of the year. He had a couple of young-guy picks, but he can manage the offense. Matthew Schiltz is awful. There is no upside with a guy like that. Prukop is the question mark for next year, not Brown. 

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

This guy is such a moron. He knows absolutely nothing. He is going solely on what he wants to happen. 

It will be hilarious when the team PXP guy and starting QB won’t talk 😂

People need to save some of these tweets for when he inevitably has to back pedal.  I'd hate for him to scrub his feed and we lose all this comedic gold.

54 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is a hot, borderline insane, take. Dru Brown looked great vs BC at the end of the year. He had a couple of young-guy picks, but he can manage the offense. Matthew Schiltz is awful. There is no upside with a guy like that. Prukop is the question mark for next year, not Brown. 

Schilz didn't look awful when he played. At times, he was better than Dane Evans this season, Had Schilz played all of the Eastern Final the Ti Cats probably would have won. We have no idea if Dru Brown will ever be a starting CFL qb. It's all about competition at almost every position. If there are 4 qbs vying for 2 sots behiund Collaros you let each of their performances sort things out. As Osh says, the Bombers don't stand pat. I expect they will sigb a qb or two to push Brown as well as a kicker to push Liegghio. 

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

I like Shiltz; I thought Hammy would have done a lot better last year if he didn't get injured. 

But he isn't close to Dru Brown. Whether Brown is the guy or not is besides the point; we know Shiltz isn't. Brown has shown flashes and still has upside. He's the perfect guy to have around behind Zach.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Schilz didn't look awful when he played. At times, he was better than Dane Evans this season, Had Schilz played all of the Eastern Final the Ti Cats probably would have won. We have no idea if Dru Brown will ever be a starting CFL qb. It's all about competition at almost every position. If there are 4 qbs vying for 2 sots behiund Collaros you let each of their performances sort things out. As Osh says, the Bombers don't stand pat. I expect they will sigb a qb or two to push Brown as well as a kicker to push Liegghio. 

I'm not sure what game you were watching. Shiltz couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. He's a solid backup qb, but not in anyway a guy that's going to develop into a franchise guy. He's an improvement on Fajardo....thats about all

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm not sure what game you were watching. Shiltz couldn't hit a deep ball to save his life. He's a solid backup qb, but not in anyway a guy that's going to develop into a franchise guy. He's an improvement on Fajardo....thats about all

I don't see this miraculous upside in Drew Brown, from a skill perspective he looks to be fairly limited, If he pans out near Shiltz as a competent backup that can read the field well and move the offence that will be a bonus, but I don't see him as Zach's replacement 3 years down the road.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't see this miraculous upside in Drew Brown, from a skill perspective he looks to be fairly limited, If he pans out near Shiltz as a competent backup that can read the field well and move the offence that will be a bonus, but I don't see him as Zach's replacement 3 years down the road.

Who mentioned a miraculous upside in brown? I was simply stating at this point in their careers. Brown is not only better, but had more upside than shiltz

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Who mentioned a miraculous upside in brown? I was simply stating at this point in their careers. Brown is not only better, but had more upside than shiltz

I dunno, what skills does Brown have that makes him so much better than Shiltz in your opinion?  Both have decent but not great arms, decent but not great runners, both are level headed.....pretty similar IMO.

I’m fine with dru brown coming back next year. I’d be good with schlitz too. 
 Really I’d like to see us replace prukop with an athletic, dynamic run threat. We’ve neg listed and worked on guys like quinton flowers  multiple times for a year or two. I’d love to see us bring one in. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I don't want a franchise guy with Zach coming back for another 3 seasons. I want a competent veteran back up qb who we know can go in & play if Zach is hurt. Let the third stringer learn & eventually push the veteran qb out. That's what I want.

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’m fine with dru brown coming back next year. I’d be good with schlitz too. 
 Really I’d like to see us replace prukop with an athletic, dynamic run threat. We’ve neg listed and worked on guys like quinton flowers  multiple times for a year or two. I’d love to see us bring one in. 

The third stringer gets more playing time than the backup. Does anyone see a problem with that? Albeit it is short yardage it still hinders development of a qb as no one gets better holding a clipboard or continuosly takes short yardage snaps. When a third qb was added to the game day roster years ago, I doubt if that was the purpose of doing that. It was to have a competent backup as the number 2 with a promising young qb as the number 3. He was to develop & eventually push out the older backup veteran. Once he did so, another young qb would come in to push the other qb ahead of him. That was how teams developed qbs & some like Calgary had succession plans. But now, that has morphed into the third stringer being the short yardage qb. The result is these younger qbs just don't learn like they used to. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Shiltz ain't a competent backup tho is he? I'll take Brown and his upside at backup over Shiltz and his veteran experience.  Sometimes veteran experience doesn't mean much 

From what I saw whenever he replaced that wacko Dane Evans he did well. He nearly won the East Final when Evans was benched for being a *****. I think if he played the full game the Cats would have won. He did what a veteran backup is supposed to do. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The third stringer gets more playing time than the backup. Does anyone see a problem with that? Albeit it is short yardage it still hinders development of a qb as no one gets better holding a clipboard or continuosly takes short yardage snaps. When a third qb was added to the game day roster years ago, I doubt if that was the purpose of doing that. It was to have a competent backup as the number 2 with a promising young qb as the number 3. He was to develop & eventually push out the older backup veteran. Once he did so, another young qb would come in to push the qb ahead of him. That was how teams developed qbs & had succession plans. But now, that has morphed into the third stringer being the short yardage qb. The result is these younger qbs don't develop like they used to. 

I’ve actually long been in favour of a third qb that can really run being the holder short yardage and a package guy. Now ideally the no2 qb more of a passer would be a vet but good back up vet qb are a unicorn in the cfl. 
 If a guy has to come in mid game. I’d rather it be a limited package guy whose had more snaps. If you have to start a different qb then go with 2. 

the nature of qb development has changed soo much since then. Teams don’t groom back ups. Seldom does a guy come up in fa like Franklin where they had success in limited reps as qb2 over a couple years. They are all thrown into the fire and by the time they hit fa the first time you know their limitations. No mysterious up side. 

we also face the issue of most every team running the same offense and looking for the same qb. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’ve actually long been in favour of a third qb that can really run being the holder short yardage and a package guy. Now ideally the no2 qb more of a passer would be a vet but good back up vet qb are a unicorn in the cfl. 
 If a guy has to come in mid game. I’d rather it be a limited package guy whose had more snaps. If you have to start a different qb then go with 2. 

the nature of qb development has changed soo much since then. Teams don’t groom back ups. Seldom does a guy come up in fa like Franklin where they had success in limited reps as qb2 over a couple years. They are all thrown into the fire and by the time they hit fa the first time you know their limitations. No mysterious up side. 

we also face the issue of most every team running the same offense and looking for the same qb. 

I look at a qb like Taylor Cornelius. The guy is just okay. The Elks will never win with him. Heavy on the word just. He'd be a great veteran backup. Tre Ford is a U Sports qb & being brutally honest, he hasn't faced athletes on defense in Canadian college football like he has as an Elk. His learning curve will be high. The qb situation in Edmonton remains very unsettled. 

I look at Caleb Evans in Ottawa. Terrible qb. He hasn't shown much in 2 seasons except that he's athletic but has a ten cent head. He will never be a starting qb & isn't even a competent backup. I always thought of him as Lapo's pet project. 

Argo's Chad Kelly is an interesting prospect & he may be the starting qb in Toronto next season.

I see Schilz in Hamilton & I think he can play as a backup/borderline starter. He's the one backup qb that caught my eye this season.

Montreal, I have no clue as Harris plays no matter what. Any team that employs a 7 year veteran as their third string short yardage qb like Dominique Davis has nothing worth talking about 

There's no one in Sask worth discussing either. Marcus Fines was thrown into the fire when Fajardo flamed out. He did his best playing behind that horrible offensive line & the results were the same as when fajardo played. They lost. Hard to judge a backup qb when he's running for his life on every passing play.

BC has a plan with Vernon Adams if Rourke leaves otherwise VAJ will be a sought after free agent if Superman returns. 

Calgary will have a big hole to fill with Mitchell leaving as Tommy Stevens can run but hasn't shown he can actually throw with any consistency because of the nature of his position. He had that one game when he had a coming out party rushing for something like 160 yards against the Riders but... as wbbfan said there's not a lot out there to get excited about. No obvious starter out there in waiting. Which is a scary proposition for the CFL in the long term.

Edited by SpeedFlex27