Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

On 2023-03-15 at 1:44 PM, rebusrankin said:

Goodson sounds interesting.

The QB looks like he's a poor passer (55% completion %). Guessing he's good in short yardage?

The QB is going to have to impress because I am almost certain Prukop's plan is to come back to the CFL immediately after the USFL season.

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The QB is going to have to impress because I am almost certain Prukop's plan is to come back to the CFL immediately after the USFL season.

and you think we'll just pick him up at that point? The Bombers will have their QB stable set coming out of camp and that's who they'll roll with. Prukop isn't Streveler...they're not gonna just make room for the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and you think we'll just pick him up at that point? The Bombers will have their QB stable set coming out of camp and that's who they'll roll with. Prukop isn't Streveler...they're not gonna just make room for the guy. 

Agreed.  If the Bombers really wanted him back, he'd be signed already.  I think that after that "hero throw" interception during the Cup game (which I really don't think was the called play) the team said thanks for your time, feel free to show yourself to the door.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It depends. If the new guy is equally as good as Prukop in SY, then yea they will stay with the new guy. If not, I can see the Bombers bringing back Dakota. That was the point of my post. The new guy, or guys, need to leave no doubt by the middle of June.

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

Agreed.  If the Bombers really wanted him back, he'd be signed already.  I think that after that "hero throw" interception during the Cup game (which I really don't think was the called play) the team said thanks for your time, feel free to show yourself to the door.

I don't think that at all. It was about money. We offered him 3rd string money, and Prukop was looking at ways of making more.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Man, don't even consider back surgery. Stay away from it. All it'll do is put you in a wheelchair once you mess with your spine & discs. . 

Its been awhile since I worked in a hospital, but some 20 years ago, the statistics were that, in back surgery, a third were better, a third were no better and a third were worse. No doubt surgical techniques and procedures have gotten better since then, but how much better, who knows?

On 2023-03-17 at 3:51 PM, Tracker said:

Its been awhile since I worked in a hospital, but some 20 years ago, the statistics were that, in back surgery, a third were better, a third were no better and a third were worse. No doubt surgical techniques and procedures have gotten better since then, but how much better, who knows?

Yeah, it's risky for sure.

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

because it wasn't listed in the article - he's apparently 5'9" 180lbs...... so maybe more of a KR/PR than anything? 

Size-wise, he's right there with a couple guys we have in the secondary (Jamal Parker is listed at 5'8, 177lbs & Demerio Houston is 5'10, 169lbs) so who knows.  Looks pretty versatile though since he holds school records both ways on special teams.

Just now, bigg jay said:

Size-wise, he's right there with a couple guys we have in the secondary (Jamal Parker is listed at 5'8, 177lbs & Demerio Houston is 5'10, 169lbs) so who knows.  Looks pretty versatile though since he holds school records both ways on special teams.

and I would GUESS that being an Ivy League student, he's probably going to be pretty smart, which is always a bonus...

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Nothing in his background suggests him to be a game-changer. Probably training camp fodder.

On 2023-03-21 at 3:52 PM, Tracker said:

Nothing in his background suggests him to be a game-changer. Probably training camp fodder.

An undersized kr db who also blocked 5 kicks in 3 years. That tells me he’s extremely hard working and tough plus explosive as an athlete. I’ll take that combo in any size any day of the week. Throw in 26.1 per kick off return for his career and 17 pass knock downs and I can see plenty of reason to think he has the potential to be an impact player. 
 The mafia don’t bring in imp dbs as tcf. And nfl teams don’t bring in micro dbs to be tcf. 

Personally, I've really grown to hate the term "training camp fodder", even though I know I've used it in the past myself.  These are athletes chasing a dream and for them to be in camp means that the team sees something in them.  Sure, some guys might have a slim chance at making the team, but they're not fodder, they're taking their shot, and good luck to them..

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Remember that Brandon Alexander was a walk-on at a Florida skills camp/scouting combine. No pedigree, nothing inherent in his game that screamed “star”. Yet hard work made the coaches have to notice him, and we have a game-breaker now. No one is fodder unless they choose to be. 

It was 100% work too.

Alexander has admitted to getting smoked on all those corner routes he ran in try-outs, but they noticed that he was paying attention and stealing reps and wanted that attitude in camp.

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Remember that Brandon Alexander was a walk-on at a Florida skills camp/scouting combine. No pedigree, nothing inherent in his game that screamed “star”. Yet hard work made the coaches have to notice him, and we have a game-breaker now. No one is fodder unless they choose to be. 

Nick Taylor was a basketball player too. 

8 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Personally, I've really grown to hate the term "training camp fodder", even though I know I've used it in the past myself.  These are athletes chasing a dream and for them to be in camp means that the team sees something in them.  Sure, some guys might have a slim chance at making the team, but they're not fodder, they're taking their shot, and good luck to them..

for the most part I think tcf is a thing of the past. The closest thing now is recycled qbs coming in as the 5th arm to keep guys fresh, junior kids, extra legs for kicking to return guys and maybe some un drafted fa ni guys. The game is too competitive now with talent and athletic levels too high to risk a spot. You never know when a guy could break through like Alford or schoen. 
 At this point I think only bad teams deal in tcf imps. Like maybe edm. Chris jones does crazy things.