Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

2 hours ago, camper_2 said:

I'm reading all these posts and thinking back to last year and the conversations... No more than 225 for Lawler, I believe I read... And so it was, 300,000 so dollars, Lawler left for greenier pastures to Edmonton.. Now this year.. Lawler is exploring for top dollar again and I do understand negotiations. Both sides will be doing the back and forth, crap.... but here in Wpg, there is a salary structure that is followed and used....

So, first and most important, we have #10 back and signed for 3 years. Happy, happy here!! It appears #83 probably will be back and that was something to watch last year... Yep, I said wow, many times!!! Nice find there scouting staff, as well... Now in saying that, #83 I think will get a bump in his compensation, which is first thing ahead of any incoming receiver, even if its Lawler... Don't get me wrong, I like Lawler as a Bomber, want him back, but at 1 million over 3, I don't think so... 

Again, over the last few weeks, we talked about our listed roster receivers playing a more important role, plus other potential receivers coming here to Wpg... the likes of Wieneke (Als) from MN, Steven Sunbar Jr (Cats) and Reggie White Jr (Als), who could provide the necessary level of play for out team and very much affordable. That number of 225 still sounds better than 333000/year, when you have #10, #83, #82 locked up and the likes of #84, #14 ready to go and #88 wanting to sign.

Sadly, I must say, for that last receiver, the talent is available elsewhere! This is a great organization, players do want to come here.

So, after I wrote this,,,, two (2) receivers are of the board.... down to one (1) and Lawler,,, who will it be or a prospect by our scouting department?

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Citation needed.... I know milt made bank but I kind of think you are under estimating what qbs made... or over estimating what Stegall made. 

also, there is no such thing as over-paying Milt Stegall, who is inarguably the greatest receiver in CFL history, and a Top 10 CFL player of all time....

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Citation needed.... I know milt made bank but I kind of think you are under estimating what qbs made... or over estimating what Stegall made. 

Was it not pretty much universally accepted that Milt was well north of $200k?

In his MOP-Calibre years where he'd have commanded that, there were QBs making in that range. I don't think it's worth discussion really. The assertion that sometimes overpaying can be worth it was true in his (rare) case.

11 minutes ago, bluto said:

Was it not pretty much universally accepted that Milt was well north of $200k?

No... I remember 180k being the number in like 2006 so even if he cracked the 200k mark khari had got the million dollar deal years before that, guys like Ray and calvillo at least were up in the 400s or more.

1 minute ago, holoman said:

Wieneke and Dunbar?

yeah just saw the Dunbar thing...that was the guy I hoped we would lock up if we lost out on Lawler, and or Lewis if we interested....I can actually see Lewis coming here for fair and market value but not 300k+ value to be on a legit "team" and have opp to do things in the community which he seems to want to be part of...knowing he has a legit chance at nice playoff bonus cash

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah just saw the Dunbar thing...that was the guy I hoped we would lock up if we lost out on Lawler, and or Lewis if we interested....I can actually see Lewis coming here for fair and market value but not 300k+ value to be on a legit "team" and have opp to do things in the community which he seems to want to be part of...knowing he has a legit chance at nice playoff bonus cash

yep, looking at all these free agent receivers a while back, Dunbar was up there... do like White Jr. as well

1 minute ago, camper_2 said:

yep, looking at all these free agent receivers a while back, Dunbar was up there... do like White Jr. as well

thing is...I think we going for legit 1A type wr in FA to augment what we have....so White serves no purpose in my opinion...and we need to have a guy..Agudosi or Heiligh starting as a entry value contract to make things work

I would be shocked if one of Lawler or Lewis isnt here

1 minute ago, Booch said:

thing is...I think we going for legit 1A type wr in FA to augment what we have....so White serves no purpose in my opinion...and we need to have a guy..Agudosi or Heiligh starting as a entry value contract to make things work

I would be shocked if one of Lawler or Lewis isnt here

Yeah these other names - just sign Rasheed instead 

Just now, Booch said:

as Walters drops the mic.......

love the imagery of this... ha ha ha. Here's hoping Schoen is back, too. We'll miss Bailey (I assume, to make this work) but likely something that had to be done and (I hate to say) worth it, in the big picture. 

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No... I remember 180k being the number in like 2006 so even if he cracked the 200k mark khari had got the million dollar deal years before that, guys like Ray and calvillo at least were up in the 400s or more.

What do you reckon Kevin Glenn made when they shared a locker room? It couldn't have been more than $300...

Edited by bluto