Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

On 2023-01-05 at 1:49 PM, wbbfan said:

Thanks for posting this.

honestly it looks really good. Few guys we need back but a lot of great work done by the front office already. You always go into fa these days with a couple guys you really want back not under contract. 

Yoshi couture jeffcoat sayles and demski are big needs. Mcg Darby grant Bailey and ellingson all various degrees of want back. The ni lbers would be nice too. 
I think grant is gone though. Probably Darby too.  

I think they're back. 

17 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, somehow I don't think Demski is going to settle for $170k in what has to be his peak years, which may take the Bombers out of the Lawler bidding.

UNLESS they both take a little less to make it work....I don't mean on their current contracts , just on their 23 ask....They want to be part of a winner and they sure as hell know that that's  here....Rumors were that Kenny was almost here toward the end of 22'....I still think that's still on

We could also go a diff route at center...freeing up 200k there..Is Kolo longterm answer..prob not..and possible he isn't even being considered..Do we try Gray or Dobson there? Maybe Neuf and those 2 are the guards...we have options..

I could see a higher paid foot soldier like Gauthier or Briggs as well being a casualty..

Cap also goes up this yr as well I believe too..

Ellingson and his 165k salary is sure as gone..as we have young guys coming behind..BOLO..Agudosi..Haleigh..so that could go toward part of Demski re-up..35 k of that would put him at 200k....what u do with his remaining is a curious thing ..but also part of that as well as BA..Couture..Wilson..Prukopp money that sat on the 6 game last year was key to reupping some the bigger names we have already against this yr cap for the 2023 season...so come free agency and finalizing 2023 roster we are sitting in a nice spot...we also had 100k ear marked for Harris which he balked at that obviously went to someone to re-up as well...I not too concerned and we should be able to sigh who we really wanna keep and also be in the discussion for some other high profile targets who will be fielding offers 

On 2023-01-07 at 4:32 PM, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, somehow I don't think Demski is going to settle for $170k in what has to be his peak years, which may take the Bombers out of the Lawler bidding.

I think 170k would easily get it done with the Bombers. I honestly don't think he would get much more on the open market. He is versatile and a great deep threat but at the end of the day he has exactly zero 1000 yard seasons to his name.  A lot of that is due to missing a lot of games, but that too factors in.

I think a ton of people think the receiver market will be super-heated based on know nothing comments by Herb Z and Suitor. Fact of the matter is that last year the teams who blew their brains out on receivers did not get their money's worth. GMs around the league will have taken notice of that and a market correction will happen. You look at the top 3 receivers in FA last year and absolutely no one could argue that they provided the production to justify the contracts. Yes, all 3 missed significant time with injuries but at the end of the day you tie up that kind of SMS into a player you have to get the results and when you put out 250-300k on a receiver it may not cost you on SMS if they go down, but it sure ties up a lot of cash with not much production to the team.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I think 170k would easily get it done with the Bombers. I honestly don't think he would get much more on the open market. He is versatile and a great deep threat but at the end of the day he has exactly zero 1000 yard seasons to his name.  A lot of that is due to missing a lot of games, but that too factors in.

I think a ton of people think the receiver market will be super-heated based on know nothing comments by Herb Z and Suitor. Fact of the matter is that last year the teams who blew their brains out on receivers did not get their money's worth. GMs around the league will have taken notice of that and a market correction will happen. You look at the top 3 receivers in FA last year and absolutely no one could argue that they provided the production to justify the contracts. Yes, all 3 missed significant time with injuries but at the end of the day you tie up that kind of SMS into a player you have to get the results and when you put out 250-300k on a receiver it may not cost you on SMS if they go down, but it sure ties up a lot of cash with not much production to the team.

I dunno, you can't diminish Demski's sheer impact as a gamebreaker, other than Schoen I can't think of a current receiver that has his ability to score so consistently from anywhere on the field.  Plenty of receivers are great at catching the ball and gaining an additional 5-10 yards including Lawler, but few can match Demski's ability to gain YAC once he's received the ball and none are better at catching the deep homerun bombs Collaros loves to throw.

It's hard to justify paying him $50k-$80k less than top American receivers when he's a Natl. that will never look to the NFL to further his career, which should be considered a bird in the hand.  It's true injuries and season stats. have not yet placed him in top 10 in many receiving categories, so I guess that works to the Bombers advantage in paying him less than his true value to the team especially if there is no Schoen.  I'm thinking his market value is in the range of $185-200k, as there will be significant interest from other teams that drive up his asking price, even if he's ultimately bluffing.

Edited by Fatty Liver

19 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I dunno, you can't diminish Demski's sheer impact as a gamebreaker, other than Schoen I can't think of a current receiver that has his ability to score so consistently from anywhere on the field.  Plenty of receivers are great at catching the ball and gaining an additional 5-10 yards including Lawler, but few can match Demski's ability to gain YAC once he's received the ball and none are better at catching the deep homerun bombs Collaros loves to throw.

It's hard to justify paying him $50k-$80k less than top American receivers when he's a Natl. that will never look to the NFL to further his career, which should be considered a bird in the hand.  It's true injuries and season stats. have not yet placed him in top 10 in many receiving categories, so I guess that works to the Bombers advantage in paying him less than his true value to the team especially if there is no Schoen.  I'm thinking his market value is in the range of $185-200k, as there will be significant interest from other teams that drive up his asking price, even if he's ultimately bluffing.

I like Demski a lot but I think you are viewing him through blue tinted glasses. I don't think Demski is a top 5 receiver in this league, and I think that only those are the guys that are getting anywhere near a sniff of 200k+ this year. If he is offered 185-200k I hope the Bombers let him walk. That is a big overpay imo. Demski is a fantastic NAT receiver for the Bombers and brings a lot to our team, but there are only a few guys in the league that deserve 180+ and he is not one of them. For that money you have to show that you can stay on the field and produce 1100+ yards beforehand. I understand that Demski has been snake bitten by injuries the past few years, but again, that is also something a GM has to look at when calculating the cap % any player is going to get. It may not be fair but it is a factor in any sport with a SMS or salary cap. Production and reliability are massive factors in contract $.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I like Demski a lot but I think you are viewing him through blue tinted glasses. I don't think Demski is a top 5 receiver in this league, and I think that only those are the guys that are getting anywhere near a sniff of 200k+ this year

But Demski isn't just a receiver....he can play RB if needed (and does, at times) and can return kicks if need be. We don't have anyone, on either side of the ball, that is as versatile a weapon as Nic Demski. He's in his prime right now and is attempting to get the one last big paycheque that he's rightfully earned. Outside of QB or LT, I don't know that there's a more valuable person for the Bombers right now....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

But Demski isn't just a receiver....he can play RB if needed (and does, at times) and can return kicks if need be. We don't have anyone, on either side of the ball, that is as versatile a weapon as Nic Demski. He's in his prime right now and is attempting to get the one last big paycheque that he's rightfully earned. Outside of QB or LT, I don't know that there's a more valuable person for the Bombers right now....

The thing working against Demski making the kind of money some on here think is twofold, injury history/no big season to his credit, and the fact that the CFL's new NAT status qualification for veteran players kicks in this year and that GREATLY diminishes his passport. He has been around 7 years and has no 1000 yard seasons to his credit, but is versatile. Take away the passport from any NAT receiver with that same resume and fans would be seething if their team gave him 180+. I would hate to lose him, because he is a Winnipeg boy, but really his production and skillset is replaceable.

Edited by GCn20

18 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I don't think Demski is in line for a huge pay bump.   He was already the highest paid Canadian receiver at 165k and 4th receiver overall (tied with Ellingson & Burnham) so I'm not sure how much higher he could really expect to go. 

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/17/cfls-receiver-salaries-for-2022-season/

I agree. I think people saw the market go kaflooey last year on 3 receivers and thinks this will translate to the norm. It won't. We saw this back a few years ago too when Edmonton went kaflooey on Adarious Bowman at 250k, (highest paid non-QB) and the market adjusted back to normal after. No receiver in this league is getting North of 250k this year and I predict that Lewis will be the only guy in FA that goes north of 180k. BC and Edmonton last year really screwed the receiver market up on top end because both teams had extremely low QB salaries that almost never happen. This year there are no teams in the unique position of spending that kind of dough at receiver.

Honestly, I don't get where people are suggesting that Demski had some kind of break out year either. His production and games played are almost identical to the year before. He played fantastic down the stretch for us, as opposed to being injured like the year before, but pretty much same games played and same yardage.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Well whatever interest Ford has generated must have happened before last season, he only played one game and that wasn't enough to reveal much.  He must have a damn good agent working on his behalf.

I'm assuming the interest was in his measurables and the workout sealed it for him. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Well whatever interest Ford has generated must have happened before last season, he only played one game and that wasn't enough to reveal much.  He must have a damn good agent working on his behalf.

He had some NFL interest prior to the season.  He was in mini-camp with the Jets & Steelers before joining the Bombers.