Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

10 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Still won't hurt to bring them back unless we're replacing them with someone who's established

I think we have a handful of guys who have shown themselves more than capable. 

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think Matson and Taylor are likely both gone due to age and injuries combined with us having options such as Nichols, Alexander, Houston, Lawrence, Parker, Darby, Ford, Holm.

Shocked that nobody in the NFL has inquired about Schoen. If he ends up back with us, I can see Riderfans finding a conspiracy of some sorts here and Dickenson adding it to his airing of grievences about the Canadian Mafia.

Like Booch has been saying, his age may be working against him.

I'm honestly not shocked about Schoen. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic receiver that could put up significant numbers in the CFL. But, he doesn't have a quick 1st step, and just isn't a prototypical NFL WR. He benefits from the waggle for sure. Add in his age and the typical NFL politics and it all equals him ******* the rest of the CFL for a few more years!!

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm honestly not shocked about Schoen. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic receiver that could put up significant numbers in the CFL. But, he doesn't have a quick 1st step, and just isn't a prototypical NFL WR. He benefits from the waggle for sure. Add in his age and the typical NFL politics and it all equals him ******* the rest of the CFL for a few more years!!

Would be nice if he turned into a Stegall-lite. 😃

NFL window doesn't  close until Feb 8, so the fact he hasn't gotten a work out offer yet really means nothing. May just mean that no interested NFL team has any scouts available for the next week or so to conduct the workout. Until that Jan. 8 deadline passes...be worried about losing Shoen.

The longer a player has to wait to get his workout does show how badly any team wants him though, so that's a bright spot I suppose.

Edited by GCn20

18 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Would be nice if he turned into a Stegall-lite. 😃

To that point where Mr. Stegall had a nice long career in the CFL all with the WBB's, a nice Christmas present would be hearing that Schoen wants to carve out a career in the CFL and wants to spend it with the WBB duly compensated of course.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To that point where Mr. Stegall had a nice long career in the CFL all with the WBB's, a nice Christmas present would be hearing that Schoen wants to carve out a career in the CFL and wants to spend it with the WBB duly compensated of course.

Hate to rehash this discussion but if he plays in the CFL is he obligated to the Bombers for next season and is his contract locked in by the CBA?   

30 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hate to rehash this discussion but if he plays in the CFL is he obligated to the Bombers for next season and is his contract locked in by the CBA?   

Yes, every and any player leaving for the NFL in their option year window has his rights retained by the CFL club they are departing until the end of his existing CFL contract.

In the middle of the season, I'm not surprised the NFL hasn't come calling yet. Once they get into their off-season, I have zero doubts Schoen will get workouts. His numbers this year were too good to not at least get a peek. Whether he sticks or not is another story, but he'll get a look in Feb/March, I'm sure...

Schoen's age is most likely a drawback to some nfl clubs BUT that doesn't mean he might have piqued someone's interest down there....I just hope he doesn't get caught up in the ol tc fodder game and end up getting screwed over...I'd like to offer him a solid contract and re-up with us for the forseeable future.... After all we still owe that guy a ring after we effed up the last shot ....so it's 'come on down and stay in the Peg Dalton'

Edited by Stickem

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

In the middle of the season, I'm not surprised the NFL hasn't come calling yet. Once they get into their off-season, I have zero doubts Schoen will get workouts. His numbers this year were too good to not at least get a peek. Whether he sticks or not is another story, but he'll get a look in Feb/March, I'm sure...

Yet Rourke, Kian Schaffer-Baker, Julian Good-Jones & Jevon Cottoy have all gotten NFL interest once their season was done.  Why hasn't Schoen?  I have no clue but I do agree that they'll call eventually.  I'd be shocked (and delighted) if they didn't.

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yet Rourke, Kian Schaffer-Baker, Julian Good-Jones & Jevon Cottoy have all gotten NFL interest once their season was done.  Why hasn't Schoen?  I have no clue but I do agree that they'll call eventually.  I'd be shocked (and delighted) if they didn't.

that's a really good point...Schoen is better than any of those you mentioned, and if they got calls, he should have as welL. That is very curious, indeed...

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Isn’t it too late at that point?

Just now, Jesse said:

Isn’t it too late at that point?

Honestly, I know so very little about the NFL because I just don't give a single **** about that league......but I just assumed they've got their hands full worrying about this season right now, and aren't messing around with new recruits, but I do suppose the scouts never stop working and looking for the next ones, so they might be looking right now, as Jay mentioned above...

47 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Rourke and Good-Jones are different  positions, so apples and oranges comparison. Schaffer-Baker is younger, and both he and Cottoy are 3-4” taller. The NFL is often about raw physical data, and some biases die hard (like smaller players, left-footed kickers). Their loss, our gain hopefully. 

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Rourke and Good-Jones are different  positions, so apples and oranges comparison. Schaffer-Baker is younger, and both he and Cottoy are 3-4” taller. The NFL is often about raw physical data, and some biases die hard (like smaller players, left-footed kickers). Their loss, our gain hopefully. 

Not comparing them as players.  Simply showing that the NFL doesn't wait for a certain time of year to look for new talent. 

Not sure how much NFL people watch but Schoen would easily be the 4th best receiver on any NFL team and likely a 3rd/slot receiver on most.  Teams need 6-7 receivers to get through a season and he'd be on a rookie scale deal with already solid pro experience.  He's not a kid coming out of college now.  He's got 20 games in as a pro which is like 3-4 years worth for a fringe NFL guy.

Won't be surprised when he gets signed by the Chiefs or Bills.  I'm sure the Chiefs are kicking themselves right now that they don't have him when they look at their current depth chart with Hardman down too.  He'd probably be the X receiver on that team this week.

8 hours ago, bearpants said:

Maston hasn't played a game since the 2019 GC and Taylor will be 35 years old soon... unfortunately we may have already seen the last of those two guys

Yep I expect both are done. 

8 hours ago, Nolby said:

Still won't hurt to bring them back unless we're replacing them with someone who's established

That’s not how we do the secondary in the mafia era. 
 Ba Houston nichols Parker Lawrence Darby with the strong possibility of ford and Kramdi rotating in a starting spot with Rene backing them up and the hallets backing up ba. 

Maston rose and Taylor are all well past their best before date. Mastons healthy is a major issue and Taylor is always hurt plus among the oldest dbs in the league. 7 years and 64 games he’s averaging 9 games a year for his career at 35 before next season begins. 

I love Maston it sucks his career has been derailed by injuries. And we wouldn’t have won with out rose. Taylor is an insane athlete and the fact he’s played soo late in his career as a db and as a basketball player is extraordinary.
If those guys wanna come back with no signing bonus no guaranteed cash 1 year vet min camp type deals to win a spot that’d be fine but mos will ride with guys like them till they got nothing left and then ride em some more.