Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

despite all evidence to the contrary....

I'd love him back. All the way home from Regina, my buddies and I were envisioning a Lawler/Schoen led receiving core that made last year's team look like the Riders.

We just have evidence of him leaving for the paycheque, and we were unable to even get in the same tier with an offer. So realistically, what's changed?

We're clearly re-signing our core, raises will be due. And our claim to fame has been filling holes with Alford's, Schoen's that replace departed players on rookie deals..

Because he made way more than anyone else - not just a little , that is why he left. Unlikely to happen again and he has probably found out it was worth it for a year but not long term to chase the cash 

One bad year and your value tanks- even if said year is mostly out of your control. 

More term , more stability, more winning and playoff money 

33 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Because he made way more than anyone else - not just a little , that is why he left. Unlikely to happen again and he has probably found out it was worth it for a year but not long term to chase the cash 

One bad year and your value tanks- even if said year is mostly out of your control. 

Schoen was the only receiver that deserved 300k,not saying Lawler isn't good but Schoen would've definitely been a prime signing for a contract that record breaking.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

despite all evidence to the contrary.....

Yes.....and also a number of players 6-gamed...

I had a question about this. Is he using 2021-22 money? If so this is pretty awesome. Would put us in a pretty good cap situation going into 23?

Can anyone shed light on this for me

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

He didn’t have a bad year though. He had a crappier QB but he was still a walking highlight reel.

Theres a reason we want him back. I still think Hammy is going to push for a big WR signing to convince Bo to stay. There still a world that sees Lawler as the beneficiary of a bidding war.

28 minutes ago, CodyT said:

I had a question about this. Is he using 2021-22 money? If so this is pretty awesome. Would put us in a pretty good cap situation going into 23?

Can anyone shed light on this for me

As Matty says, yes, the reason ZC8 got a big 3 year re up and all these other guys are signing quick... It's because we had a **** ton of '22 cap money to use. Stuff that was likely stashed for the NFL guys, plus unused money due to 6-game guys... 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

He didn’t have a bad year though. He had a crappier QB but he was still a walking highlight reel.

Theres a reason we want him back. I still think Hammy is going to push for a big WR signing to convince Bo to stay. There still a world that sees Lawler as the beneficiary of a bidding war.

I didn’t say he had a bad year. Nobody is giving a receiver a multi year 300k contract. So he will always be on a year to year. 

Plus he had at least two significant injuries. Playing with fire chasing huge cash as a WR on no term. He didn’t even get a signing bonus. Literally nobody outside of Edmonton thought that was a good contract. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

As Matty says, yes, the reason ZC8 got a big 3 year re up and all these other guys are signing quick... It's because we had a **** ton of '22 cap money to use. Stuff that was likely stashed for the NFL guys, plus unused money due to 6-game guys... 

The SMS is also going up 160k for 2023. We know so far that Zach and Hansen have raises for next season.

27 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Had Ellingson not gotten  hurt he'd of been a big exception, we lost some real threat at the time he went down.

If we didn't have bad luck with those older guys we'd have no luck at all. 

27 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

We played better without him though 

Schoen was absolutely brilliant. 

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Even if the rumours are true, just because he an extension prepared, doesn't mean Lawler would sign it. 

I am also hopeful, but it is all on Lawler - other teams will still have large offers for him.

I don't see him signing with another reclamation project after what he endured in Edmonton.  So which quality franchise is going to offer him off the charts money?  Bombers would certainly offer him north of 200k.  If Rourke signs back with BC it will be for a massive pay rise so they'll end up having to reduce expenses at receiver.  Toronto will have to give raises across the board as Grey Cup Champs.  Maybe Calgary will be in a position to offer on Lawler and Sask.  Montreal isn't going to pay a receiver more than Eugene Lewis is getting.  Hamilton has bigger fish to fry. I feel like Lawler will end up back here. 

1 hour ago, Piggy 1 said:

He's my "must" resign........

I really want him back.  But I'd rather have Lawler then Ellingson and Demski if it came down to it.  Demski is good but I think McCrae can evolve into that type of player and we were often starting 2 or 3 additional Canadians. 

24 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't see him signing with another reclamation project after what he endured in Edmonton.  So which quality franchise is going to offer him off the charts money?  Bombers would certainly offer him north of 200k.  If Rourke signs back with BC it will be for a massive pay rise so they'll end up having to reduce expenses at receiver.  Toronto will have to give raises across the board as Grey Cup Champs.  Maybe Calgary will be in a position to offer on Lawler and Sask.  Montreal isn't going to pay a receiver more than Eugene Lewis is getting.  Hamilton has bigger fish to fry. I feel like Lawler will end up back here. 

I really want him back.  But I'd rather have Lawler then Ellingson and Demski if it came down to it.  Demski is good but I think McCrae can evolve into that type of player and we were often starting 2 or 3 additional Canadians. 

Canadians are gold. You keep the elite ones. McCrae is nowhere near Demski. Not even sure he is on the team next year.