Still love this team

Blue_Dragoon

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We don’t need him, but he would be damn nice. Especially if schoen bolts. I fully expect Sheed back as well. 

Lawler is the best 50/50 guy in the league. No  One else is half as good at mossing dbs. Is schoen better? I think so. But he also benefited from a primary passing offense vs much more of a run offense when lawler was here. 

if we lost ellingson but kept schoen and got lawler back with Sheed demski and woli that’d be the best wr core since we had milt geroy and aj3. With depth un matched. Boo is legit af mcg is going to be a nightmare in his sophomore year. Yes please bring lawler home. 

Lawler signed for $300k last year, even at $200k that's too much for an import receiver when Burnham could be had for less.  Save the kopeks and make sure Bailey and Demski get what they deserve.

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Lawler signed for $300k last year, even at $200k that's too much for an import receiver when Burnham could be had for less.  Save the kopeks and make sure Bailey and Demski get what they deserve.

I think 175k has a good shot at getting it done. If it’s 200 and schoen leaves id 100% pay. 
 200k for lawler is fine especially compared to what we paid for the poor production from guys like rose Willy biggie and Augustine. 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Is Lawler the best receiver in the game?

The problem is Lawler had Tre Ford throwing to him. As for Burnham - there is no way he's being pried loose from BC. Anybody know if we have Agudosi under contract next year? Between him and O'Leary-Orange, Lawler may not be necessary.

32 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

The problem is Lawler had Tre Ford throwing to him. As for Burnham - there is no way he's being pried loose from BC. Anybody know if we have Agudosi under contract next year? Between him and O'Leary-Orange, Lawler may not be necessary.

Sure, okay. Whatever you say. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think 175k has a good shot at getting it done. If it’s 200 and schoen leaves id 100% pay. 
 200k for lawler is fine especially compared to what we paid for the poor production from guys like rose Willy biggie and Augustine. 

I've read Hamilton will be "all in" next year because they're hosting the Grey Cup so why wouldn't they pay $300.000 for a 1 year deal. Teams will want Lawler & he won't come cheap. 

7 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

That is why I quoted Lawlers numbers from his last year with the Bombers. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've read Hamilton will be "all in" next year because they're hosting the Grey Cup so why wouldn't they pay $300.000 for a 1 year deal. Teams will want Lawler & he won't come cheap. 

They would, but wr isn’t where they are going to change their fortune. They might offer blm crazy money. Failing that maybe fajardo. I expect they will go hard after dl, ol and rb. 

8 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Not sure. I think with agudosi it’ll be about age and health. I hope he’s back. Wouldnt be surprised to see both and Gmac back. Plus we have a couple real good wrs on the pr that’ll be back for camp and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple from this years camp get called back. Bunch of guys had great camps.  

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This is exactly why I'm cooler on Lawler than a lot of people.  I don't think anyone is going to pay him 300K again, but his price is going to be very high.  Even the Riders will have freed up their Duke money.  Interested to hear what the "sign Lawler" advocates think his price tag is going to be.

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

They would, but wr isn’t where they are going to change their fortune. They might offer blm crazy money. Failing that maybe fajardo. I expect they will go hard after dl, ol and rb. 

Not sure. I think with Agudosi it’ll be about age and health. I hope he’s back. Wouldn't be surprised to see both and Gmac back. Plus we have a couple real good wrs on the pr that’ll be back for camp and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple from this years camp get called back. Bunch of guys had great camps.  

I really liked what I saw of Agudosi in his brief on-field performance, but his apparent fragility is a concern. He deserves a chance to make the team next year but one more significant injury will lead to the conclusion that he is too brittle for the sport.

Back to the overall topic of loving this team. 

When ZC threw that INT with a couple minutes to go, that is game over for most teams. How great was it that we got the stop on D, unheralded Cdn special teamer blocks the kick, and then the offense did just enough to get a chance to win the game.  Didn't end well, but that was awesome. 

28 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

When ZC threw that INT with a couple minutes to go, that is game over for most teams. How great was it that we got the stop on D, unheralded Cdn special teamer blocks the kick, and then the offense did just enough to get a chance to win the game.  Didn't end well, but that was awesome. 

This team has no quit.

wanted to take a moment to thank @Zach Schnitzerfor writing this piece. I, too, suffer from various mental illness, including depression and anxiety..... and "You're not alone" is a key phrase for people like us. I care more about this team, and (especially living in AB) my identity is so entangled with the team, that this championship loss has caused me a lot of grief. Like a death in the family kind of grief. But, as Zach says here: It's normal and we're not alone.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wanted to take a moment to thank @Zach Schnitzerfor writing this piece. I, too, suffer from various mental illness, including depression and anxiety..... and "You're not alone" is a key phrase for people like us. I care more about this team, and (especially living in AB) my identity is so entangled with the team, that this championship loss has caused me a lot of grief. Like a death in the family kind of grief. But, as Zach says here: It's normal and we're not alone.

Had the Bombers lost in 2019 Grey Cup, I had already made the decision to step back as a Bomber fan to protect my mental health, so I fully sympathize and understand what it can do to a fan. It's why I joined the forum and logged tens of thousands of posts in the first place, it was therapeutic to know that there were others out there willing to talk, discuss, argue football with that were just as committed as me. I found solace on these boards during our down times, and learned a long time ago that these losses are more than just football to many of us. The last three years helped me prepare for this loss, because I know what this team is capable of and I was able to shrug it off more easily. I am sure once the offseason starts rolling things will get easier for all of us as we still have a crap load to be excited for. This team is not done.

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Part of enticing BLM to sign will be signing an impact WR.

Don’t agree. I think it’s far more likely they try to make a splash with ol and try to being in some of the cheap former wrs he’s worked with. Ham has some good wrs I think bringing in some one he’s familiar with and a top fa ol will go far better than spending all the money on lawler. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I really liked what I saw of Agudosi in his brief on-field performance, but his apparent fragility is a concern. He deserves a chance to make the team next year but one more significant injury will lead to the conclusion that he is too brittle for the sport.

Same. I really hope he comes back. He’s gonna be 29 hasn’t played a lot and his injury was a big one. If he hadn’t had that success I think he’d call it a career. But the extremely bright flash he showed before being hurt may compel him to come back. 

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Don’t agree. I think it’s far more likely they try to make a splash with ol and try to being in some of the cheap former wrs he’s worked with. Ham has some good wrs I think bringing in some one he’s familiar with and a top fa ol will go far better than spending all the money on lawler. 

Same. I really hope he comes back. He’s gonna be 29 hasn’t played a lot and his injury was a big one. If he hadn’t had that success I think he’d call it a career. But the extremely bright flash he showed before being hurt may compel him to come back. 

I believe Begelton is a FA this year...

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Had the Bombers lost in 2019 Grey Cup, I had already made the decision to step back as a Bomber fan to protect my mental health

I can feel this, I stepped back from sports in general in 1996 when Jets 1.0 packed up, the Rough Riders folded (I was in Ottawa then) and the CFL -- my original sports true love -- was just about dead.  Prior to that I was a massive sports fan, really into everything.

I've never really been bothered by teams winning and losing -- that's cyclical -- but the ongoing existence of the league is where my anxiety would go if I let it.  So nowadays I tune out all mention of the CFL's economic health and management and just watch the games on TSN (occasionally live too). 

I'm thankful for every kickoff and I actually kinda can't believe the CFL still exists in the same form it did when I first fell in love with it.

since it's USA thanksgiving tomorrow, ought to note I'm thankful for MBB too, this place really helps me feel the bomber love, the strange, ineffable thrill I get from watching the blue and gold kick ass.  this place really keeps my fandom alive.  thanks folks.

Edited by johnzo

15 hours ago, johnzo said:

I can feel this, I stepped back from sports in general in 1996 when Jets 1.0 packed up, the Rough Riders folded (I was in Ottawa then) and the CFL -- my original sports true love -- was just about dead.  Prior to that I was a massive sports fan, really into everything.

I've never really been bothered by teams winning and losing -- that's cyclical -- but the ongoing existence of the league is where my anxiety would go if I let it.  So nowadays I tune out all mention of the CFL's economic health and management and just watch the games on TSN (occasionally live too). 

I'm thankful for every kickoff and I actually kinda can't believe the CFL still exists in the same form it did when I first fell in love with it.

since it's USA thanksgiving tomorrow, ought to note I'm thankful for MBB too, this place really helps me feel the bomber love, the strange, ineffable thrill I get from watching the blue and gold kick ass.  this place really keeps my fandom alive.  thanks folks.

In 1996 I swore off NHL hockey, never picked a new team never even watched a game until the Jets returned. Completely lost passion for the NHL. Even now that the Jets are back I watch may 5-6 games a year and playoffs. I was a Jets 1.0 fanatic. It broke my heart and to this day there is still a big hole left that just hasn't returned.

However, I did find solace in amateur hockey and the Moose. Many an evening spent going to Stonewall or Ile Des Chenes to watch Sr. Hockey even. Honestly. something about being in those small town barns made me love the sport of hockey more, and professional hockey less.

Nothing like a rink burger, and admission for less than 20 bucks and drink all the shnapps your flask can hold. lol. Go to the small town bar after the game and the whole arena shows up. It's awesome.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

In 1996 I swore off NHL hockey, never picked a new team never even watched a game until the Jets returned. Completely lost passion for the NHL. Even now that the Jets are back I watch may 5-6 games a year and playoffs. I was a Jets 1.0 fanatic. It broke my heart and to this day there is still a big hole left that just hasn't returned.

However, I did find solace in amateur hockey and the Moose. Many an evening spent going to Stonewall or Ile Des Chenes to watch Sr. Hockey even. Honestly. something about being in those small town barns made me love the sport of hockey more, and professional hockey less.

Nothing like a rink burger, and admission for less than 20 bucks and drink all the shnapps your flask can hold. lol. Go to the small town bar after the game and the whole arena shows up. It's awesome.

Same with me except I don’t watch any games now. First couple seasons a bit. No hockey since. Used to watch world juniors and hall/ihl but hockey is lost to me now. 

On 2022-11-23 at 9:32 AM, blue85gold said:

To me, this was the problem... in my opinion, the offense did just barely enough... and if not aided by a facemask penalty, wouldn't have even been close... this was the situation where this Bombers team normally gets it done... and they just didn't on Sunday night

29 minutes ago, bearpants said:

To me, this was the problem... in my opinion, the offense did just barely enough... and if not aided by a facemask penalty, wouldn't have even been close... this was the situation where this Bombers team normally gets it done... and they just didn't on Sunday night

This.  The offense hasn't really been an issue all year and Sunday was the worst possible time for a dud.  Lots of blame to go around on that side of the ball (except for maybe Brady).  Lack of protection from the O-Line, some questionable play calling, poor throws, poor route running... it all added up and cost us in the end.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

This.  The offense hasn't really been an issue all year and Sunday was the worst possible time for a dud.  Lots of blame to go around on that side of the ball (except for maybe Brady).  Lack of protection from the O-Line, some questionable play calling, poor throws, poor route running... it all added up and cost us in the end.

The offence didn't exactly sparkle against the Lions, either, but managed to scrape out a win. A bad omen.

Am I overthinking this and being unnecessarily paranoid?... But looking back on our last two playoff runs... The Bomber haven't played a good, complete game in any of those playoff games... 2021 West Final against Sask, played a bad game and scraped out a win.... 2021 Grey Cup, played bad three quarters but took over for one quarter and pulled it off... 2022 West Final, played an OK game and made enough plays when it counted to win... 2022 Grey Cup, simply didn't play very good and lost...

We still walk away with one Grey Cup in the last two years... but it's a bit of a troubling trend

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Am I overthinking this and being unnecessarily paranoid?... But looking back on our last two playoff runs... The Bomber haven't played a good, complete game in any of those playoff games... 2021 West Final against Sask, played a bad game and scraped out a win.... 2021 Grey Cup, played bad three quarters but took over for one quarter and pulled it off... 2022 West Final, played an OK game and made enough plays when it counted to win... 2022 Grey Cup, simply didn't play very good and lost...

We still walk away with one Grey Cup in the last two years... but it's a bit of a troubling trend

Perhaps, not enough meaningful games at the end of the season - 2 byes in 4 weeks

22 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I agree in theory and have a lot of thoughts about this. When I get to a keyboard (not just my phone) I'm going to type them out properly. It's the offense, mostly, that has me troubled come playoff time.