Grey Cup 2022 GDT

K-Shack

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

But if the read was one on one deep because he expected the 2nd receiver to be shorter was the throw all that bad? Put it outside the receiver who had good positioning on the db....

Nope disagree, know your role. You’re the third string qb with very specific parameters. If there is any question with the read, ie receiver is not wide open then tuck it and run it. As mentioned lots of blame to go around here coaches, receivers etc but he ultimately was in charge of the execution of the play.

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Nope disagree, know your role. You’re the third string qb with very specific parameters. If there is any question with the read, ie receiver is not wide open then tuck it and run it. As mentioned lots of blame to go around here coaches, receivers etc but he ultimately was in charge of the execution of the play.

But they use that formation to take shots often. The idea is get a one on one battle downfield. The issue on the play was a second receiver dragging extra coverage into the area.  The read and throw happen before the receiver makes his mistake. I'm not trying to shitnon Bailey either, love that guy but the blame should go to him more than the qb IMO.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But if the read was one on one deep because he expected the 2nd receiver to be shorter was the throw all that bad? Put it outside the receiver who had good positioning on the db....

I thought the same initially, but after watching it numerous times, I have come to realize that the Argos were in man coverage, and that the throw was to Bailey's inside shoulder and that is where Richardson was the whole time. The only way this play has a chance is of Prukop goes for Ellingson instead, or throws it way more outside than he did to keep Bailey between the ball and receiver because this was not a read issue. There is nothing that Prukop should not have seen in the read. It was a poorly placed throw that gave his receiver no chance. Where Ellingson is, and his DB, are irrelevant....the throw was to Bailey. 

In short, Bailey had no realistic shot at the ball....so yes that is a poorly thrown ball.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But they use that formation to take shots often. The idea is get a one on one battle downfield. The issue on the play was a second receiver dragging extra coverage into the area.  The read and throw happen before the receiver makes his mistake. I'm not trying to shitnon Bailey either, love that guy but the blame should go to him more than the qb IMO.

A beautiful moment to use the cliche agree to disagree. :) Imo his primary role is running not throwing and if he can’t close to 100 percent guarantee his receiver will be wide open once he makes his necessary break, secure the ball, know the point in the game we are at and run so ZC can come back on the field to take care of business.

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

A beautiful moment to use the cliche agree to disagree. :) Imo his primary role is running not throwing and if he can’t close to 100 percent guarantee his receiver will be wide open once he makes his necessary break, secure the ball, know the point in the game we are at and run so ZC can come back on the field to take care of business.

The coverage that Ellingson drags into the play has no effect on the play whatsoever imo. It was a throw to Bailey, and it's underthrown to the wrong shoulder. The fact that there is another receiver and DB in the area might have effected his options on the play, but the throw itself was a poor one that is intercepted even if Ellingson is nowhere around.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The coverage that Ellingson drags into the play has no effect on the play whatsoever imo. It was a throw to Bailey, and it's underthrown to the wrong shoulder. The fact that there is another receiver and DB in the area might have effected his options on the play, but the throw itself was a poor one that is intercepted even if Ellingson is nowhere around.

There’s my point in what his role is. Anything that affects his throw options while he is making his reads dictates his automatic default to be run. I’m not trying to dump on the guy I’m sure he’s a fantastic human being and as mentioned numerous times this truly was a team loss from top to bottom but on this specific play once it was called the primary criticism lays with him. He made a mistake, learn from it, move on.

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I thought the same initially, but after watching it numerous times, I have come to realize that the Argos were in man coverage, and that the throw was to Bailey's inside shoulder and that is where Richardson was the whole time. The only way this play has a chance is of Prukop goes for Ellingson instead, or throws it way more outside than he did to keep Bailey between the ball and receiver because this was not a read issue. There is nothing that Prukop should not have seen in the read. It was a poorly placed throw that gave his receiver no chance. Where Ellingson is, and his DB, are irrelevant....the throw was to Bailey. 

In short, Bailey had no realistic shot at the ball....so yes that is a poorly thrown ball.

Prukop said the the Freep that the throw was to Ellingson. Looks to me like Bailey drew coverage to the ball.  Not saying it was a good throw but sure sounds like Bailey shouldn't have been there. 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/2022/11/22/i-didnt-do-enough-collaros-says-of-grey-cup-loss

Short-yardage quarterback Dakota Prukop admitted Tuesday he’s lost sleep over the interception he threw in the fourth quarter in Sunday’s Grey Cup. The Bombers had a 23-17 lead when Prukop came in for a play and attempted a deep pass that was picked off by Shaq Richardson.

“I would’ve liked to have Greg (Ellingson) more open. If he’s (wide open), then you take that shot. But the situation we were in and with the momentum, I just really wish I could’ve moved on and found the next receiver,” said Prukop in front of his locker. “So, yeah, that one hurt, man. Buck made a great call. I told him before the game ‘If you put me in, I’m going to take care of the ball.’ I’ve done it all year and on that play, I didn’t. It sucks.”

5 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Prukop said the the Freep that the throw was to Ellingson. Looks to me like Bailey drew coverage to the ball.  Not saying it was a good throw but sure sounds like Bailey shouldn't have been there. 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/2022/11/22/i-didnt-do-enough-collaros-says-of-grey-cup-loss

Short-yardage quarterback Dakota Prukop admitted Tuesday he’s lost sleep over the interception he threw in the fourth quarter in Sunday’s Grey Cup. The Bombers had a 23-17 lead when Prukop came in for a play and attempted a deep pass that was picked off by Shaq Richardson.

“I would’ve liked to have Greg (Ellingson) more open. If he’s (wide open), then you take that shot. But the situation we were in and with the momentum, I just really wish I could’ve moved on and found the next receiver,” said Prukop in front of his locker. “So, yeah, that one hurt, man. Buck made a great call. I told him before the game ‘If you put me in, I’m going to take care of the ball.’ I’ve done it all year and on that play, I didn’t. It sucks.”

That happens a lot in our offense. Many guys run option routes and we see clashing at times. 

I don’t think it was a great or good call. If it was 2nd and short it would’ve been. If he had just snuck for a first down going hurry up and running that against goal line package defense is a good call too. On first and 10 with momentum taking collaros off when he just got in a rhythm it’s just a bad call. But to be fair, he probably should’ve thrown it away or ran for what he could get. 

buck pierce is more frustrating than plop. Because he flashes brilliant calls design and potential. Then falls into the same mistakes as plop out thinking him self and getting  away from what’s working. 

19 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

If that ball is for Ellingson than Prukop did not have his eyes downfield at all because I am not sure how he could even see Ellingson without noticing Bailey is there as well. If it's for Ellingson it is a VERY poor throw based on what his eyes should have been telling him.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If that ball is for Ellingson than Prukop did not have his eyes downfield at all because I am not sure how he could even see Ellingson without noticing Bailey is there as well. If it's for Ellingson it is a VERY poor throw based on what his eyes should have been telling him.

When it comes to passing ability prukop is a really good running qb. 

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not saying it was a good throw but that's not how any of this works. If a receiver is in totally the wrong spot, that's on him not the QB.  It's not like Bailey was beside Ellingson when the ball was thrown. He ran his DB into the area from the other side of the field from where Ellingson was coming from.

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Honestly with how under thrown that ball was, Bailey or not, that ball is getting picked.

Maybe the DB covering Ellingson undercuts him for the pick. Maybe Ellingson can change the angle for the catch. Maybe the ball hits the turf. 

All I'm saying is that if Bailey doesn't run to that space, the DB covering him (who makes the pick), likely wouldn't have been anywhere near the ball.

The execution was one thing, which - and let's be totally honest here - was pretty horrendous. What really creams my corn is the decision to call that play at the time it was called.

You're up by 6 and still holding onto some momentum. Oliveira rushes for 13 yards, putting the offense at roughly midfield with a fresh set of downs.

Run the ******* ball again.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The execution was one thing, which - and let's be totally honest here - was pretty horrendous. What really creams my corn is the decision to call that play at the time it was called.

You're up by 6 and still holding onto some momentum. Oliveira rushes for 13 yards, putting the offense at roughly midfield with a fresh set of downs.

Run the ******* ball again.

Both times Prukop came out on 2 and like 5 or 6, they were terrible play calls. Totally killed momentum.

Prukop had a role to play in terms of widening out the D and threatening the edge.  Have no problem with him coming in to run some option run stuff.  Guy should not be throwing the ball.  Maybe in July or August, not in November when it's -4 and grip is damn near impossible on top of all his other shortcomings as a passer.

That call is unforgivable.  You use him as a running QB and you don't even really need the threat of him passing because all you're doing is using misdirection to create one vertical gap where Prukop or Oliviera or Demski get a shot 1 on 1 vs a LB or DB.

Our gameplan did not utilize the run enough....and that's why we lost.  It's why our O is struggling in playoffs generally.  A ball you think is gonna go 35 yards is probably going to go 28 or 32 and that's why you can't be safe throwing the ball downfield in November.

On 2022-11-22 at 7:01 AM, Wideleft said:

I have been snowed on while camping on May long (in Manitoba).  Have almost never had a nice May long weekend in 30+ years of camping.  

My dad used to be part pf a big fishing group that always went to Caribou Lake Lodge at Quesnel Lake near Bisset in the 60's & 70's. I can remember some years he went the ice was still on the lake on the May long weekend. Most years the ice had just melted a few days before. But some years it would be touch & go with cold snowy weather. Those guys were hardcore. They'd fish on the water through a snowstorm if they had to.

Western Canada in the spring means crap weather. For every one nice day we have two days of snow, rain & cold into June.  How many times do we hear people say that "We're gonna pay for this nice weather?" And we usually do. 

I hate spring football. All these fans who want the season to start in late April or May because it's too cold in November. Well boo ******* hoo. Okay, then we might as well merge with the XFL or USFL & have the season end in August using American rules because that's what is going to happen. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Prukop had a role to play in terms of widening out the D and threatening the edge.  Have no problem with him coming in to run some option run stuff.  Guy should not be throwing the ball.  Maybe in July or August, not in November when it's -4 and grip is damn near impossible on top of all his other shortcomings as a passer.

That call is unforgivable.  You use him as a running QB and you don't even really need the threat of him passing because all you're doing is using misdirection to create one vertical gap where Prukop or Oliviera or Demski get a shot 1 on 1 vs a LB or DB.

Our gameplan did not utilize the run enough....and that's why we lost.  It's why our O is struggling in playoffs generally.  A ball you think is gonna go 35 yards is probably going to go 28 or 32 and that's why you can't be safe throwing the ball downfield in November.

I was hoping you’d chime in cause I knew you and a few others here could say it way better than I could. :)

20 hours ago, blue85gold said:

I'm not saying it was a good throw but that's not how any of this works. If a receiver is in totally the wrong spot, that's on him not the QB.  It's not like Bailey was beside Ellingson when the ball was thrown. He ran his DB into the area from the other side of the field from where Ellingson was coming from.

Looking with your eyes to the peripherals is exactly how it works. Only when a QB gets locked in on a receiver should he not notice another receiver or DB in the near vicinity...and you should look at the play again, Bailey did not run his guy in from the opposite side. In fact it appears that both receivers ran the same route and mistook the playcall. Both Ellingson and Bailey thought they were the primary read and ran the same route from what it looks like to me. I've watched it over and over and I can see no reason that Prukop shouldn't have noticed this except he made the classic QB mistake of being locked in one target.

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My dad used to be part pf a big fishing group that always went to Caribou Lake Lodge at Quesnel Lake near Bisset in the 60's & 70's. I can remember some years he went the ice was still on the lake on the May long weekend. Most years the ice had just melted a few days before. But some years it would be touch & go with cold snowy weather. Those guys were hardcore. They'd fish on the water through a snowstorm if they had to.

Western Canada in the spring means crap weather. For every one nice day we have two days of snow, rain & cold into June.  How many times do we hear people say that "We're gonna pay for this nice weather?" And we usually do. 

I hate spring football. All these fans who want the season to start in late April or May because it's too cold in November. Well boo ******* hoo. Okay, then we might as well merge with the XFL or USFL & have the season end in August using American rules because that's what is going to happen. 

I've lived from May long to September long in Northern Manitoba for the past 35 years. Are there some stinker days in mid May...sure. But you are grossly exaggerating and out to lunch to suggest it is worse weather than November, and the rest of your post is just non-sensical. Moving up the season a month does not represent any danger to our league, the game, nor would we be playing 4 down football. That's just a massive over reaction.

Your Dad's bad fishing trip luck aside let's actually use some historical data from Environmental Canada shall we:

WINNIPEG Historical weather month by month:

MAY  18/7 celcius high and low with avg 6 days precipitation

NOVEMBER 1/-6 avg high low with 4 days of precipitation

I get it that you are opposed to starting the season earlier but let's not pretend that your reasoning that weather is worse than November is sound. It is your choice and I respect your opinion on it, as you have your reasons but to suggest that November has better weather than MAY is nonsense.

If you move the season up one month for a MAY training camp with a first week of June start date you get 4 extra games in summer month and a Grey Cup around 3rd week of October where it is reasonable to expect it to be chilly but still good football weather. How this would make us into the XFL or convert us to American football is unclear to me.

Edited by GCn20

30 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Cool. Still going to average 11,000 in attendance next year - and it will be an inflated figure too. That team is a cancer to the CFL, expecting the league to pay its bills every few years.

I get what you’re saying- but why be mad at the fans that actually do care?