Grey Cup 2022 GDT

K-Shack

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

For my money the D and special teams were good enough to win this game

the Defence let  the backup qb drive down the field and score the winning touchdown, in the last few minutes of the game.

Toronto had better starting field position quite a bit. partly special teams. marc was bad in this game. 

to me, It was a team loss, including coaches.

Edited by Mark F

The sickening part will be Harris gloating about it even though he was a non factor in this game.  Sadly there was too much of Canada cheering for Toronto because of the hate for the Bombers and this will just inflate the egos of the Argos.  It was a team fail but Marc's inability to flip the field with his punts did not help much.  Zach was not able to get the offense on track and the O line just did not stop TO from getting to him.  It never fails when one team is hyped to be the winner and all talk is about them it inevitably ends up biting that team in the ass.

Thanks to the Bombers for a fantastic year for us fans.  We cleaned up in the awards (small consolation) and set a franchise high for wins so something to keep us during the off season.

Thanks MBB for another fantastic year of sharing the good times and the bad.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Special teams was the source of most Argo points when we lost field position really bad on punt exchanges and kickoffs.  Realistically if Bede has an average game we’re in pretty big trouble.  Also gave up the big return to set up the winning TD, horribly placed punt and terrible decision by Parker to roll the dice to come inside to try to make tackle instead of keeping contain.

But they also got us a touchdown and and the ball back with a chance to win at the end with a huge blocked field goal. Yes there were issue but the biggest issue with fieldmpositon was an ineffective offense.

8 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Collaros was hot garbage. Worst game as a bomber. 

I'm expecting a big revenge tour and I'm here for it. 

Have to give credit to Argos defence there.  Bomber passing game never found a rhythm there and sometimes you have to tip your hat to the opposition.  It’s the 2 INTs that get me pissed off.  The Prukop play was a needless play call by Buck there.  Ahead by 10 and the ground game going well, should’ve just stuck to basic simple football.  Brady ran20 times in the WCF, he should have run for 20 in the GC, not 15.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Doesn’t hurt as much as 2001 but man it’s close. That ******* Prukop play..

That's Prukop play started it, then the Kelly long run for a first down was the icing... If we could have those 2 plays back, it may have been a different outcome... But again, its sports and not all things go your team's way, crappy things happen.... 

Just now, camper_2 said:

That's Prukop play started it, then the Kelly long run for a first down was the icing... If we could have those 2 plays back, it may have been a different outcome... But again, its sports and not all things go your team's way, crappy things happen.... 

The Kelly run did it for me.  We still had the lead and the Argos were pinned deep and heading against the wind.

Let me just vent a little about how poor it looked that half the stadium was empty. Regina has no business ever hosting this game again. We have been told ad nauseum that Saskatchewan is the heart beat of the CFL. BALONEY. They couldn't even be bothered to show up to a game in their own back yard. Sad effort Rider fans! Terrible look on you and a black eye for the league. I get it that your team wasn't in it, and that selling your tickets to someone who might want to attend from out of town was tough because you don't have the accommodations and infrastructure to properly host the game but you guys should be cognizant of that. If your team is ever to host a Grey Cup again, get off your asses and attend the game and quit acting like a bunch of sucky babies.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Let me just vent a little about how poor it looked that half the stadium was empty. Regina has no business ever hosting this game again. We have been told ad nauseum that Saskatchewan is the heart beat of the CFL. BALONEY. They couldn't even be bothered to show up to a game in their own back yard. Sad effort Rider fans! Terrible look on you and a black eye for the league. I get it that your team wasn't in it, and that selling your tickets to someone who might want to attend from out of town was tough because you don't have the accommodations and infrastructure to properly host the game but you guys should be cognizant of that. If your team is ever to host a Grey Cup again, get off your asses and attend the game and quit acting like a bunch of sucky babies.

It was absolutely pathetic. 

They should not get this game again for a long time. 

Could have ended different for a lot of reasons....Started when we lost key players in fa......Stove,Kongbo.........and to a certain extent Desjarlis....Lawler and Castillo....I think the last play, of the 3 peat that sprung wings, was the tale of the whole story....Firstly I think the decision to go for the field goal was a bad one....Leggs had already showed that he had a bit of the yips and missed an extra point....Why not just kick the bloody ball through the end zone, which he could have done easily with the wind, and tie the game and take your chances in OT.....It worked last year.....We had the argos on the ropes and let them slip away....Well the dynasty is history and on to next year...Hopefully we can retain the most important pieces of this team in the offseason....We shall see.....

As well the pathetic attendance by the local yokels was very noticeable....Too many empty seats and a sad commentary on riderland....

Edited by Stickem

Feeling weirdly zen about this loss. Bombers played terrible on offence and were one play away from winning it. 

So many instances where one little thing going different could have changed the outcome:

- Hallet blocked FG, it he got slightly more of it maybe it shoots back 15 yards or we scoop and score

- If Willie doesn't tip that Kelly pass at the line, maybe Nichols takes it back for a score

- On their last punt return, what if the DB (Lawrence/Parker?) makes the initial tackle or at least stays in his lane.

- What if Schoen makes that first deep catch?

These are all unknowable. 

Great season. Can't wait until next year. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The game should have been over after Grant took it back 

Absolutely. We've seen this team finish games after plays like that for the last few years. 

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Could have ended different for a lot of reasons....Started when we lost key players in fa......Stove,Kongbo.........and to a certain extent Desjarlis....Lawler and Castillo....I think the last play, of the 3 peat that sprung wings, was the tale of the whole story....Firstly I think the decision to go for the field goal was a bad one....Leggs had already showed that he had a bit of the yips and missed an extra point....Why not just kick the bloody ball through the end zone, which he could have done easily with the wind, and tie the game and take your chances in OT.....It worked last year.....We had the argos on the ropes and let them slip away....Well the dynasty is history and on to next year...Hopefully we can retain the most important pieces of this team in the offseason....We shall see.....

That would have been a long way to go for the single. Weren't we on the 40?

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think the real problem on that play was that the 2nd receiver took his route too deep and let the guy covering him get involved in the play. Think it might have been Bailey but to me if he cuts his route to the sideline shorter the pick never happens. 

Or Prokop recognizes recognizes not a great time to throw up a 50 50 ball, recognizes what his role is and tuck the ball and run so #8 can come back on the field.

We had a punt return for a TD and blocked a FG that would have put them up by 4 late in the game.

They missed 2 FG's and had one blocked. They took RTP penalty that gave us an extra chance to win the game.

It finally came down to a blocked FG in the last seconds for the Argos to win.

I sucks to end a great season with a GC loss.

34 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Feeling weirdly zen about this loss. Bombers played terrible on offence and were one play away from winning it. 

So many instances where one little thing going different could have changed the outcome:

- Hallet blocked FG, it he got slightly more of it maybe it shoots back 15 yards or we scoop and score

- If Willie doesn't tip that Kelly pass at the line, maybe Nichols takes it back for a score

- On their last punt return, what if the DB (Lawrence/Parker?) makes the initial tackle or at least stays in his lane.

- What if Schoen makes that first deep catch?

These are all unknowable. 

Great season. Can't wait until next year. 

Absolutely. We've seen this team finish games after plays like that for the last few years. 

That would have been a long way to go for the single. Weren't we on the 40?

Yep on the 40. Would have needed 75 yards in the air to make sure it was through the end zone and not playable. FG was the right decision.

Anybody else hear about this?

The Dumb

I don’t know if this is an only in the CFL or only in Regina kind of moment, but it was something.

980 CJME Green Zone analyst Darrell Davis reported during the game the vehicle that was holding the Grey Cup outside of the stadium during the game was towed for illegal parking.

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/21/the-good-the-bad-and-the-dumb-of-the-109th-grey-cup/

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Honestly I'm not super upset about this loss. Nearly 3 years of domination and a couple cups is still awesome.

It had to end eventually. Way she goes.

It is still awesoem!

The only thing that makes this sting so much- is how truly shitty that argo team was last nigh- like truly garbage like they were, yet we were worse... That wasn't the Bomber team that I have been watching all year... like WTAF? disappointing more than anything, with a tinge of embarrassment. 

Re-watched the game this morning without the red haze of anger and disappointment, and it confirmed what I subjectively felt while watching the game live and have a few thoughts:

To echo other posts, Collaros was nothing short of terrible. Heck, both Bethel-Thompson and Chad Kelly were better than Collaros, and by a long shot. Collaros should have been pulled shortly after half-time, but intellectually I can understand why they did not. Collaros has pulled off upset wins regularly, and we were still in the game, so..... He was also iffy against the Lions, so the trend was there.

There appeared to be zero adjustment at half-time. To put it bluntly, Argo defensive coordinator Corey Mace out-coached Buck Pierce who had no answers for whatever the Argo defence was doing. However, the way Collaros was playing, I am not sure it would have made a difference anyways.

There was no Harris vs Oliveira comparison. Brady was under-utilized but was much, much better than Harris. 

Our vaunted O-line was abused, particularly in the second half. Couture specifically missed several assignments, but the whole damned O-line had difficulty picking up Argo blitzes.

Jamal Parker was solely responsible for letting Kelly crack off that run which greatly impacted the momentum of the game. He has been good overall after a rough start but was once again suffering brain cramps. 

Whoever was responsible for Prukop's wildly ill-advised pass into double coverage ought to be fired. 

We had a good shot at winning right up to the last few minutes, but the Argos refused to fold, and were the better team on Sunday. So close and yet so far.