Rourke Contract squabbles

TBURGESS

The reason for the language is that for 95% of the cases you are never going to exceed that. Some canadian DB? Maybe throw them a bone (up to 10% increase) in their option year and you have more than one year of control. Or cut them loose if they don't work out

When you have a generational Canadian QB (Rourke) or a very good receiver (KSB) you tear up the option year and keep them happy. This is a good look going forward because NCAA Canadians who might be considering doing the journeyman PR thing down south see that if they come back home and play well for a couple of years they will get paid one way or another.

So yes, you still have to follow the salary grid even if you 'opt out' of the contract.

Also... if you opt out of the contract... you aren't on the first contract any more? why would you be beholden to the salary grid for 1st contracts at that point?

Edited by KshyGuy

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What part of: not to exceed 10% more than the 2nd year base salary, is hard for people to comprehend?

If teams/players/agents could say that Option means what it means in a different part of the CBA, then there is no reason to put the option in the draft picks salary section because it wouldn't mean anything. The simple fact that it's there means it's the option that is allowed.

All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow the salary grid. So yes, you still have to follow the salary grid even if you 'opt out' of the contract.

If the option year isn't really an option as you are suggesting, then it wouldn't be a 2+1 contract... it would just be a 3 year contract.

All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow the salary grid. So yes, you still have to follow the salary grid even if you 'opt out' of the contract.

so what is the point of an option year?... in what you're describing, the team has the option to pick up his third year and follow the salary grid or decline his third year but then are hamstrung to sign him to the exact same contract... doesn't sound like much of an option... 

Quick question.

I have Rourke's rookie contract. 2 +1 and all that...

Year two he's being paid $80k- tears up the field, making all kinds of history and all that jazz...

I say- "Damn, that rookie contract is not fair, I don't want to cheat him out of a payday because $88k (as per not to exceed 10% more than the 2nd year base salary salary grid) is not a fair price for his services...

So I tear up the rookie contract, draft up another one @ ... saaay...  3 yr contract @ $500k a year plus incentive bonuses with $250k up front in hard money with a guarantee of 1/2 the final year. He signs, all is good. 

Now does the above hold true or are you saying I have to Honour the grid salary stuff and the 1st year of the new contract has to be $88k?

20 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Quick question.

I have Rourke's rookie contract. 2 +1 and all that...

Year two he's being paid $80k- tears up the field, making all kinds of history and all that jazz...

I say- "Damn, that rookie contract is not fair, I don't want to cheat him out of a payday because $88k (as per not to exceed 10% more than the 2nd year base salary salary grid) is not a fair price for his services...

So I tear up the rookie contract, draft up another one @ ... saaay...  3 yr contract @ $500k a year plus incentive bonuses with $250k up front in hard money with a guarantee of 1/2 the final year. He signs, all is good.

Now does the above hold true or are you saying I have to Honour the grid salary stuff and the 1st year of the new contract has to be $88k?

I was gonna stop but you asked a question.

It's not an argument about fairness. Fairness would be to give Rourke QB money right away, because he's a QB rather than let his passport screw him outta salary.

Year 2 the Lions did ask to tear up his contract to give him more money and the league turned them down.

The only difference in the 3rd year is the word OPTION. Folks around here take that to mean the team can refuse to take the option, turn Rourke into a FA & then offer Rourke a new contract that ignores the 3rd year in the CBA. I take it to mean what it says in the CBA in black and white... not more than 10% > 2nd year salary.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I was gonna stop but you asked a question.

It's not an argument about fairness. Fairness would be to give Rourke QB money right away, because he's a QB rather than let his passport screw him outta salary.

Year 2 the Lions did ask to tear up his contract to give him more money and the league turned them down.

The only difference in the 3rd year is the word OPTION. Folks around here take that to mean the team can refuse to take the option, turn Rourke into a FA & then offer Rourke a new contract that ignores the 3rd year in the CBA. I take it to mean what it says in the CBA in black and white... not more than 10% > 2nd year salary.

So they tried to release Rourke and then resign him to a new contract? at the beginning of this year?

My take away, that you are saying is- no matter what, Rourke gets paid $88k this upcoming year in the CFL. Is this correct?

13 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So they tried to release Rourke and then resign him to a new contract? at the beginning of this year?

My take away, that you are saying is- no matter what, Rourke gets paid $88k this upcoming year in the CFL. Is this correct?

Yes, they tried to extend him earlier this season and could not. The important caveat to this is that they tried to do so before the option in the contract. Teams and NAT draft picks are locked into a salary scale on the first two years of the contract per the CBA, as this portion of the contract contains no options until the 3rd season. TBurg just does not have a clue what the OPTION year means to any contract. He really needs to read more than one paragraph of the CBA.

54 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

No, he's already said if Rourke gets paid more it's not because he's wrong. It's because the CFL breaks their own CBA. This way his butt is covered when he is inevitably proven to be wrong.

Folks who think that BC can ignore the option year by not taking the option:

If you're BC do you:

a) Not take the option in Feb and make a Rourke a FA if he comes back to the CFL next year

OR

b) Take the option and keep Rourke as a Lion next year if he comes back knowing that means he won't get the money he deserves

Edited by TBURGESS

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks who think that BC can ignore the option year by not taking the option:

If you're BC do you:

a) Not take the option in Feb and make a Rourke a FA if he comes back to the CFL next year

OR

b) Take the option and keep Rourke as a Lion next year if he comes back knowing that means he won't get the money he deserves

This is literally what people have been telling you this whole time.

Don't take the option/cut him/tear up the contract - whatever they call it - with your right hand, and hand him his new FA contract with your left hand.

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This is literally what people have been telling you this whole time.

Don't take the option/cut him/tear up the contract - whatever they call it - with your right hand, and hand him his new FA contract with your left hand.

Rourke isn't signing a contract until he takes his NFL shot, so he's not going to sign in Feb, so that's not an option.

It's FA or Lion. Which one is it?

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

If he's in the NFL, the "Lion" isn't an option, is it?

You're purposely ignoring the question. FA or Lion in Feb when they have to decide?

FA means every team gets to offer a contract if Rourke comes back next year. Lion means the Lion's are the only team that Rourke can come back to next year.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

You're purposely ignoring the question. FA or Lion in Feb when they have to decide?

FA means every team gets to offer a contract if Rourke comes back next year. Lion means the Lion's are the only team that Rourke can come back to next year.

I'm not avoiding the question, I just don't know if it's reality.

If he leaves for the NFL, can the Lions retain his rights or is he automatically released?